Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110138 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2005, 03:18 AM »
Now I'm pissed.

If this is even true.  RS and all.  Would Hasbro be dumb enough to presell a line from next year on opening day of the biggest line of all time (shades of TRU 4/10 stupidity here), and most of all, are they dumb enough to limit an item surely everyone will want to less than 400 stores in the country?  Do they even care?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2005, 03:24 AM »
I don't really know what else to say, but:  ::)

This whole exclusive bit is wearing on me.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2005, 03:34 AM »
Uh, wow.

You know what, screw it. If it's a new line, what's the point for a guy who's leaving the hobby to buy into it?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 08:04 AM »
Actually that is more interesting to me than getting 4 VOTC or 4 reproduced vintage figures again that I basically have already in one way or another.  I am more interested than I was before learning that news.  I probably won't get it though because I want the ROTS line right now. 

At least we know they are going to try and keep things afloat after ROTS next year.  The good news there is if people (like me) stay with the line we may not see all the rehashes that have irked so many collectors. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2005, 08:31 AM »
This is interesting news....if true.  I'm also more excited now at the prospect of new figures, or even a new line, instead of just getting four rehashed figures in a box.  When I first was reading of a basic "line relaunch" I had nightmares of the GI Joe Sigma Six line.  Sounds like things will remain in 3 3/4" scale, again, if this is true.  I really wish we'd get more confirmation on this, so that if we do want to buy this exclusive from Wal-Mart, we at least know what we're going to be getting.  It will be interesting if they are starting the line from scratch again.  Oh, I know the Mrs. will just love to hear me say that ;).

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2005, 09:01 AM »
Hmmm, a new figure line. Yep, way better than getting 4 rehashed figures. I still want this Early Bird thingy.   :'(

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2005, 09:09 AM »
I've got enough Lukes and Chewies, but if this means SA Maul and SA Episode I QUi Gon and Obi-Wan and revisting some more of the POTF2 resculpts, I'd be OK with the "relaunch" 

This sort of reminds me of the LOTR Trilogy relaunch that Toy Biz did.  it worked for a year or so but I think without a movie the line is pretty much dead this year

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2005, 09:15 AM »
For me, since this is going to be the dawn of a new 3-3/4" line, that intrigues me on a bunch of different levels - so now I'm going to need to pick up three of these things!

#1 - keep exactly as it is when I buy it

#2 - open, send in certificate, do not open the box, keep the figures MIB

#3 - open, send in certificate, open the box to have the figures loose

So there's $90 more to spend on Sat. right there.

If the line was going to be re-born as a 6" line or under those lame "Force Battlers" banner, then I would be saying "Well, time for me to stop" - but since they are remaining true to the scale, I have to at least give these four figures a look-see.

I'm still more curious than ever about these things - are they going to be improved VOTC versions of these characters, the exact same VOTC figures signaling that the line will be in the same vein as VOTC?

Personally, I think that would be an excellent way to renew the line - continue with the figures just like VOTC - same carding style, same level of detail and articulation, encased in clamshells - the entire six movie saga under one action figure line banner.

It will most likely bring the line into a scope that it needs to be in order to survive - smaller and fewer assortments per year - more $$$ per figure so the profit margin is higher, geared more towards collectors.

Something like this would also allow for other previously developed sub-lines to continue - like the Animated Clone Wars figures - if they do make a 30 minute show about the Clone Wars, then I could easily see Hasbro continuing to make the animated line, keep it at the $5 price point and continue to aim the line at kids.

For a live-action TV show that's on at night and the unified Saga line, a more collector-oriented line makes a lot more sense.

The only problem with a line like that (if you look at past lines from other toy makers) is the number of re-paint exclusives will surely increase.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 09:17 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Firebat

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Pete, there aren't actual figures coming in the box are there?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2005, 09:31 AM »
Pete, there aren't actual figures coming in the box are there?

Nope - just a certificate that you send away to get the four figures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2005, 10:00 AM »
When I first was reading of a basic "line relaunch" I had nightmares of the GI Joe Sigma Six line.

That's my first thought too, Brian.  But, I'm not entirely convinced they won't pull a scale switcheroo on us... Next January is a long way away...  :-\

I guess even with this news of a new/relaunched/whatever figure line, I am still not excited by the Early Bird news.

If the RS report is true, well then it means we are getting "new" ANH Luke, Leia, Chewie, and R2 as a part of the "relaunched" line...   more resculpts we dont need especially since we just got the BEST versions of those figures last year as vOTC.   ::)

Plus, I'm really not happy that in order to start collecting a brand new line that won't be out for 9 months, I have to make a special trip to a Wal-Mart 40 minutes away for the "tent" event...  talk about a rip-off way to get you to spend more money than you planned!  >:(

I'll be even MORE pissed when next January these "relaunched" figures are everywhere and I'll wonder why the heck it was so important to buy the damn EB kit waaaay back in April.   >:(

Gah, I'm done now or this will just turn into more ranting about what a stupid idea this is...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2005, 10:14 AM »
I'll be even MORE pissed when next January these "relaunched" figures are everywhere and I'll wonder why the heck it was so important to buy the damn EB kit waaaay back in April.   >:(

To be honest, if you think you're more inclined to get the figures when they are mass released come December/January then I would wait.

These four figures will, just like their 1977/1978 vintage counterparts, be also available as part of the regular toy line - I highly doubt that the Early Bird kit will be the ONLY way to get these four characters.

I think for Hasbro, this is a brilliant idea. They should be hyping the fact that these four figures will be part of the line's re-birth/launch 'cause I think that would only end up enticing more collectors to buy the kits. But that should only be if you're a collector of EVERYTHING. You WANT the Early Bird Kit packaging variants (for example). If you don't care about what the packaging is then I would wait, 'cause come Jan. 2006 you ARE going to be pissed that you drove 40 miles to a WalMart to get a $30 empty box for figures that came four months later which were mass-released right before Christmas.
Peter

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2005, 10:40 AM »
But that should only be if you're a collector of EVERYTHING. You WANT the Early Bird Kit packaging variants (for example). If you don't care about what the packaging is then I would wait, 'cause come Jan. 2006 you ARE going to be pissed that you drove 40 miles to a WalMart to get a $30 empty box for figures that came four months later which were mass-released right before Christmas.

Yeah, I agree with you.  The only reason I'd buy that EB Kit now was if I was a packaging variant guy, but I'm not.  In fact, RotS has caused me (and a few others here  ;)) to totally re-think their collecting habits already.  This just helps move me a little farther along that chain, helping me to finally break my "one-of-everything disease".

So, I'm really not interested in this set I guess.    :-\

I'm not a "one of everything" guy anymore, so I can pass on this and hope that when the new line is launched that I will be able to pick these figures up in a different form (like single carded).  Of course, that strategy could totally back-fire on me and 9 months from now I'll be kicking myself for NOT picking it up...  ::) 

I guess that is my biggest beef with this whole Early Bird kit - I don't like the idea of Hasbro trying to sell me a brand new figure line that I know nothing about and sight-unseen for $30.00 the same weekend I'm already spending hundreds of dollars on toys.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Well I will be buying one of the EB kits but Im confused as to this..... will there be 100 of these to a store or less

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2005, 11:28 AM »
I have been able to confirm via my friend who works for Hasbro that the Early Bird kits will only be available at the stores having tent events AND only become available for sale when the tent event starts in the morning. So even though a store is open at midnight AND they're having a tent event they shouldn't be making available the Early Bird Kit until 8 AM in the morning.
Peter