Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110338 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2005, 01:21 PM »
I heard this rumor last fall that I just ignored, but now it seems to make sense now.  Take this all with a grain of sand. The line would relaunch in 2006 with every major figure being released in updated form on original cards similar to that of either the OTC or the VOTC cardbacks.  With each Movie Banner appearing on the card. In other words Han Solo on New Hope card, Qui-Gon Jinn on Phantom card etc. In my opinion I cant see Hasbro re-releasing obsure characters in this line but it seems like nostalgic dream come true if this pans out.  With the success of the retro cardbacks it seems pretty plausible. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:22 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline SGT. Flint

• Youngling
  • Th'is I... The Price Of Punk
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Damn... that sounds like a good plan on Hasbro's behalf

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I heard this rumor last fall that I just ignored, but now it seems to make sense now.  Take this all with a grain of sand. The line would relaunch in 2006 with every major figure being released in updated form on original cards similar to that of either the OTC or the VOTC cardbacks.  With each Movie Banner appearing on the card. In other words Han Solo on New Hope card, Qui-Gon Jinn on Phantom card etc. In my opinion I cant see Hasbro re-releasing obsure characters in this line but it seems like nostalgic dream come true if this pans out.  With the success of the retro cardbacks it seems pretty plausible. 

If you look at the back of the Early Bird Kit here you can see at the top of the packaging that it says:

The Stars of Star Wars

I wonder if that's going to be the concept of the new line... it fits with rebeltrader's rumor - primarily MAIN characters from each of the six movies packaged in VOTC style packaging.

I would definitely go for it - as long as they make VOTC style ESB and ROTJ versions of Luke and SA versions of Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu and Anakin, I'll be stoked!

This also means it's a good chance for them to give us some LONG OVERDUE Padme/Amidala outfits that are backlogged from all three PT movies!
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2005, 02:22 PM »
That makes sense really.  They won't be able to crank out background characters like Lt Faytonni in non-movie years.  It may be really cool depending on who they choose to make. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2005, 02:50 PM »
But they've been cranking out non-core characters in non-movie years for ages now.  Why would they need to reboot with just main characters, unless they were so afraid the market will disappear for SW after ROTS? 

The whole idea of the EB thing is nonsense. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Hi -

Some of you may know from RS - I'm going to try to phase myself out from over there and make this my new home.

The mods suck over there and PW's attitude is getting out of hand...

I honestly believe that the Big H does not know what these EB figures will look like, otherwise we would have seen pictures. 

I also think that WM wanted an exclusive real quick like to counter Target's Lava Lamp Vader and this was the quick fix for Hasbro.

Cardboard backdrop with a plastic stand and off the shelf display case can be done very fast - can't believe they are selling us an empty box of air! :P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Welcome ruiner - I did the same thing at the beginning of February (phased out my presence over on the RS forums and moved to here). You'll find the boards here to be a much more plesant environment.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2005, 03:25 PM »
Hey Ruiner, welcome to the JD party train!  Wise move there, and one that pretty much everyone here at JD has made at some point, after all the theatrics and general insanity over at RS (which I suppose a few of us have contributed to along the way  ;)).  I promise that if anyone tells you to "Get a life" over here, it will be meant in a purely sarcastic manner!  We also have the fantastic ability to actually MERGE threads over here, not that we ever really need to, since our members have a little more intelligence and posting discipline.  Feel free to swing by the Newbie Forum and introduce yourself to the whole gang if you feel like getting a more personal and proper welcome...  8)

Anyway, I haven't been paying all too good of attention to the details on this Early Bird set, but can someone catch me up to speed on when the figures are actually due to arrive later on?  Did I see something about the end of 2005?  I suppose I can wait.  Very interested to see how they turn out, especially since they've already redone those 4 characters in the VOTC line...

But this may just be that "Definitive" line we've all been dreaming of for years now.  That would be cool, and I'm game to start all over and do it again!

Granted, my wife definitely isn't...   :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 03:26 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2005, 03:25 PM »
Welcome ruiner, nice to have you here.  I too used to frequent the RS forums, but have phased out over the past year or two, and don't really post there at all anymore.  They have really created a great community here at JD, and I think you'll enjoy it.  Happy to have you as part of the JD family :).

Anyway, I haven't been paying all too good of attention to the details on this Early Bird set, but can someone catch me up to speed on when the figures are actually due to arrive later on?  Did I see something about the end of 2005?  I suppose I can wait.  Very interested to see how they turn out, especially since they've already redone those 4 characters in the VOTC line...

But this may just be that "Definitive" line we've all been dreaming of for years now.  That would be cool, and I'm game to start all over and do it again!

Granted, my wife definitely isn't...   

Truer words Matt....truer words.  I'm definitely on board if they are going to do a "definitive" line of sorts, and I'm curious to see what this turns out to be.  I know my wife will be thrilled when I inform her that "they're doing the line all over again" ;).  As far as arrival dates...the most I have seen is on the back of the EB box, it says they will arrive "between May 1, 2005 and Dec 31, 2005"...what that means, who knows.  Hopefully we'll get a peek at them sometime in the near future, or possibly hear if this "new line" is actually happening.  Maybe you guys will get a preview at CIII, if not, possibly Comic Con or something in the summer.  I suppose I'll end up picking up the EB exclusive at Wal-Mart if possible, and just hope it is something spiffy :).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 03:28 PM by mosnab »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2005, 03:27 PM »
  Wise move there,

Inverted pun?

Hi ruiner, welcome aboard.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2005, 03:28 PM »
But they've been cranking out non-core characters in non-movie years for ages now.  Why would they need to reboot with just main characters, unless they were so afraid the market will disappear for SW after ROTS? 

The whole idea of the EB thing is nonsense. 

Yeah welcome aboard, people certainly get treated with a bit more respect over here yet we can all have a good laugh from time to time.  Usually at someone elses expense ;D

The SW line could go either way IMO.  Re-releasing the 6 films in 3D will definitely help draw a new crowd, as will the CW cartoons and the Live Action TV show coming.  We know the 3D movies will be released at one per year starting in 2006 I believe.  So the line should last at least until a year after EP6 in 2012.  I cant see the line lasting that long with only core characters can you?  I would assume the CW cartoon line will continue sparingly and that the Live Action show will generate another line.  I am truly hoping that the rumor I heard will exist except with a line consisting of secondary characters along with the core ones.  Even though this was a rumor, I feel really positive that this is the way the line will head, branching into a few different areas like it did back in the mid 80's (POTF, Droids, Ewoks)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 03:33 PM by rebeltrader »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2005, 03:36 PM »

True, and I think that's what most of us were anticipating for 2006 anyway.  So technically, I'm not entirely ready to start over just yet.  I'd love for Hasbro to pump out another year (after the ROTS run) of collector oriented background and SW army building figures to polish off the few stragglers that are still out there, like Yarna, Arcona, Bom Vimdin, Hermi Odle, etc...

Once they've hammered those out and there's no more backgrounders left to do, THEN they can start up with this fancy new-fangled line!  Very glad to hear they're sticking with the 4" scale though, for continuity's sake.

Inverted pun?

Yeah, I noticed that as I was typing it...   :P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2005, 04:00 PM »
If they are "rebooting" the line and starting over symbolically with the Luke, Leia, R2 and Chewie - I hope (for sanity's sake), when they do this, it means that they're going to handle the line a bit more like it was handled during the vintage days.

There was only ONE Tatooine Luke from ANH - sure he got re-released under the ESB and ROTJ banners, but there was never a second, third, fourth, etc... sculpt of the figure.

I would be happy if they use this line to put stakes in the ground and say "This is the ultimate Tatooine Luke and we'll never make another version of Luke in this outfit." If done with the right amount of accessories (long rifle, floppy hat, tan poncho, swappable belts (black vs. Stormtrooper) , binoculars, imperial blaster and lightsaber (lit and unlit)) and a high-level of articulation (at least 15 points) -- then I'd be okay with that.

If you think about it this would help the line survive the longest. Constantly re-issue the exact same figure in the exact same packaging and your profit margin goes up.

I could see them making eight Luke figures and that's it - ultimate versions of Luke from Tatooine, Luke in Stormtrooper Disguise, Luke in Flight Suit/Gear, Luke in ANH Celebration Outfit, Luke on Hoth, Luke on Dagobah, Luke in Bespin Fatigues, Luke in ROTJ (with plenty of accessories to cover Jabbas Palace, Endor AND the final duel).

If they took some of the same principles they have already started to put into some figures and incorporate it into EVERY figure, this could easily be done.

Take for example Luke in Hoth Gear - all you need there is some interchangeable hands, two heads (pre and post Wampa attack), well articulated legs, ankles, ball-jointed shoulders and jointed elbows and you're all set.

Luke in Flight Suit could come with enough interchangeable pieces so that it would apply to either X-Wing OR Snowspeeder

Jedi Luke could have interchangeable hands, black vest, camo poncho, rebel helmet and lit/unlit lightsabers.

For other characters there would be only the need for one or two versions - Darth Vader, C-3PO, R2-D2 and Chewie all come to mind.

The other plus is that they might be thinking of applying VOTC type detail to PT characters. Who wouldn't LOVE to have a SA Darth Maul or Jango Fett?
Peter

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I just don't think we are going to get obscure figures like Porkins, Lt Faytonni, Ach Med Beg, etc.  However, I can see them still making Admiral Piett, Bossk, AT-AT Driver or even a Dignitary.  I am almost sure we'll get Luke in almost every outfilt.  Same with Han and Leia. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2005, 04:07 PM »
Excellent points Pete, I really, really hope that this is the direction Hasbro is heading with the line in 2006 and beyond.  If they are going to do a reboot of the line, I've always hoped it would be more vintage-esque in the way it is handled.  One version of each character in each respective "outfit", just like the vintage days.  Like you said, as long as they get it darn near perfect the first time, they could just re-release them.  I'd be ok with that, if they were done in this matter.  Great ideas and points there, I really hope that this is close to what we see in the future.