Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110125 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #135 on: April 4, 2005, 08:34 AM »
If they only KNEW how right they were.  Maybe I do need to find a 12-step progam for my love of these little plastic figures... 

Yeah, its days like this that confirm why most of my relationships end in fiery disasters. I’ve been up all day and night running from store to store, amassing about a grand in toy purchases. This is obviously not healthy.

It could be worse. You could be shelling out 200 a day on drugs. Thats what I tell my family when they ridicule my hobby.

Kevin

It is funny you mentioned this.  A customer at Target was ticked off because there were a bunch of people buying SW products and she could not get through the lines "quickly".  She says to me "Ohhhh, you have Star Wars stuff to."  All snotty , rude, and loug.  I told her "Well at least I am not buying drugs and shooting people.  So I guess it could be worse huh?"  With a little smile on my face. 

I had like 8 different people laughing there heads off.  She just shut up after that.  People are interesting.  Like I am supposed to feel bad that this poor lady can't get through the Target lines quickly.  And you know she did not have anything else pressing to get to that morning. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 4, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I saw a display full of these at the "tent sale" at our local Wal-Mart, and I ended up picking one up.  It did feel weird paying $30 for an empty box, and I've considered taking it back as well.  Of course, I've always wanted to have one of the "early bird" display things, and I likely won't be getting a vintage one, so I could keep is just for that.  I really hope that this does end up being some sort of new figures, relaunched or whatever, because if they are rehashes I'll really feel ripped off.  I try not to think that they'll just be available at retail anyways later on ;).

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 4, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I tried to order on Walmart.com, but naturally Canadians can take a hike.  IOW, international credit cards cannot be processed >:( ::)

Trouble in credit card land I see. One of the local guys tried to order online and was rejected as it was a CIBC Visa. I went online and used my Royal Bank Visa and everything went through thus far, just have to wait to see if there mailed.

What credit card do you have Brent? Maybe time to switch to Royal if you don't use them.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 4, 2005, 11:54 AM »
I too ordered online as I live in a state that did not participate in the tent sale.

As well, I'm thinking about contacting Hasbro's customer service and asking them if I can still get the figures being that I don't have a store receipt.

???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 4, 2005, 12:24 PM »
I too ordered online as I live in a state that did not participate in the tent sale.

As well, I'm thinking about contacting Hasbro's customer service and asking them if I can still get the figures being that I don't have a store receipt.

???

If you ordered through Wal-Mart.com, they will send you an invoice, that is your receipt.

Hopefully that should help ya.  ;)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 4, 2005, 01:59 PM »
Cool, thanks.

You know I was thinking, it wouldn't make sense for us to know what the figures look like....when our forefathers participated in the first early bird promotion, they had no idea what the figs looked like...right?!

8)

I just hope they are new tools and not rehashes like the classic four pack (lame) or clearanced VOTC (super lame).

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #141 on: April 4, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I just hope they are new tools and not rehashes like the classic four pack (lame) or clearanced VOTC (super lame).

I agree, but I really have no idea what to expect. I wouldn't mind if it was VOTC as long as they include a green crossbow and figure out some way to make Luke with a double telescoping saber.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 5, 2005, 10:17 PM »
ok, well after getting lucky and finding all the EB sets I needed (for me and guys in Canada) in person on Saturday and Sunday, I forgot to Cancel My online order.  So I've got a couple extra coming.  If somebody missed this or is out of country and can't buy it online, PM me.  I'd hate to send em back.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 5, 2005, 10:44 PM »
I tried to order on Walmart.com, but naturally Canadians can take a hike.  IOW, international credit cards cannot be processed >:( ::)

Trouble in credit card land I see. One of the local guys tried to order online and was rejected as it was a CIBC Visa. I went online and used my Royal Bank Visa and everything went through thus far, just have to wait to see if there mailed.

What credit card do you have Brent? Maybe time to switch to Royal if you don't use them.

Yep, CIBC Aeroplan Visa.  No problems though with 99% of retailers once I added a US address with the credit card company.  Colman and Beth both have one for me anyway, so I'm good.  I just hate having to be nice to Alice ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 6, 2005, 08:43 AM »
Well, it looks like we might have a possible answer to the figures we'll be receiving from the Early Bird sets.  Courtesy of GH, from the "Emperor's Code" page:

"When consumers purchase the Early Bird, they receive a certificate that they mail in to get four STAR WARS action figures: LUKE SKYWALKER, PRINCESS LEIA, HANS SOLO, and CHEWBACCA. Three of these figures (LUKE, PRINCESS LEIA & CHEWBACCA) are brand new sculpts created exclusively for this exclusive."

Rest of the article HERE, or visit Galactic Hunter.  I'm a bit confused as to why R2 was replaced with Han, but I guess it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me.  If these 4 figures are indeed the ones included...and this little blurb is true that Luke, Leia, and Chewie are new, I'm guessing they are including the VOTC Han (or, insert Cantina Han jokes here).  There isn't much they could do to improve the VOTC Han, and I wouldn't have a problem with them re-releasing it if that was the case.  Even though they said in so many words that would never happen ;).  Anyways, I'm happy to hear that these will hopefully be all new figures for the most part.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 6, 2005, 09:02 AM »
I can't figure out why R2 was replaced by Han ethier. R2 was part of the original Early Bird set, oh well it will be interesting to see these new sculpts. Still very happy with this.  :)

CIBC CC, were there ya go. I had nothing but problems with them and went to Royal, no problem ever since.  8)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: April 6, 2005, 09:37 AM »
ok, well after getting lucky and finding all the EB sets I needed (for me and guys in Canada) in person on Saturday and Sunday, I forgot to Cancel My online order.  So I've got a couple extra coming.  If somebody missed this or is out of country and can't buy it online, PM me.  I'd hate to send em back.

Well, don't feel bad. 

I did cancel my on-line order for the EB Kit after I found it in person on 4/2, but WalMart.com shipped it to me anyway.

I guess it's nice to see that wal-mart.com is run as well as the regular retail store...  ::)

Anyway, I guess I have one on the way is someone is still looking for one...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 6, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Personally I am glad to hear at least 3 of the figures will be new.  Now I don't feel quite as bad paying $29.96 for this. 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #148 on: April 6, 2005, 10:08 AM »

Well, don't feel bad. 

I did cancel my on-line order for the EB Kit after I found it in person on 4/2, but WalMart.com shipped it to me anyway.

I guess it's nice to see that wal-mart.com is run as well as the regular retail store...  ::)

Anyway, I guess I have one on the way is someone is still looking for one...

Jeff

I tried to cancel my order too, and then they shipped them anyway. I already requested to return them. I would return them to a store, but they dont give the shipping back so in the mail they go back.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 6, 2005, 10:13 AM »
I still think this is kind of stupid... maybe these are some sort of VOTC-esque figures... who knows.

A Walmart in my area has an endcap full of these things.

:P