Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110323 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #300 on: August 2, 2005, 12:53 AM »
Well, at least Chewie is rockin' and Leia's a nice figure to pose with an R2 figure for the recording sequence.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #301 on: August 2, 2005, 01:08 AM »
so did they wind up going with the VOTC R2-D2? I thought all the previous pics from Hasbro showed the Bar2-D2.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #302 on: August 2, 2005, 01:25 AM »
VOTC by my eyes, Jason.  The chromed dome is noticeable first, but the feet have the separate sculpt wiring, and judging by the pic I see the lines for the removable chest piece of the VOTC R2...  Don't see the tools though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 5, 2005, 03:04 PM »
[Wal-Mart ends up having to send its exclusive back to Hasbro and/or clearance them out for 1/6th of original price because nobody wanted it.  ;D

Yeah, but in round 2 Wal Mart knocked the **** out of target with their EXCLUSIVE titanium ships where Target's were still on the shelves for a long time because they decided to go with OTC ships in the beginning. To this day the Titanium ships are in much more demand than the Target micro vehicle packs

All the stores mismarket frequently so.... what comes around..... eventually. I really don't think WM is concerned with this since they're pretty much blowing away target on the world market overall.

geez I wonder how many Targets/Kmarts walmart has " knocked the **** out" by moving in across the street from them the last 5 years. ( i've personally seen it in a couple towns)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #304 on: September 1, 2005, 10:08 AM »

Hasbro updates their website today with a preview of the Wal-Mart Early Bird Figures!

Early Bird Figure Packs due to ship in November!

As our collector fans know, Wal-Mart offered an exclusive product to capture the nostalgia of the first Star Wars figures ever made.  A near-exact replica of Kenner’s 1977 “Empty Box” has been sold exclusively at Wal-Mart.  Inside is a Redemption Certificate good for updated versions of the first four original Star Wars action figures from 1977.

If you have already sent in your completed Redemption Certificate, the figure packs are due to ship from the redemption fulfillment center early November. 

If you haven’t sent your certificate in, there’s still time!  Completed certificates can be postmarked up to November 30, 2005.  Don’t miss out on this exciting opportunity to relive the excitement of the first Star Wars figures ever made!  There is still a limited quantity left at Wal-Mart.com!

Should have them before Christmas at least!

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 1, 2005, 11:08 AM »
I wonder what's in the little tray under Artoo?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #306 on: September 1, 2005, 11:11 AM »
I wonder what's in the little tray under Artoo?

Foot pegs for the stand... Here's a link Dale had to the vintage set:

Yepper, just like the old days complete with foot pegs.  8)

Mail-away Offers: Early Bird Package
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 1, 2005, 11:25 AM »
The vintage one had pegs? I'll be damned. I never knew Kenner or Hasbro produced pegs outside of the ones integrated in stands/playsets.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 1, 2005, 03:50 PM »
So, of course, I had to follow the link from the front page and order the set.  :-\
 I assume I send in the Walmart print out to verify my purchase price, along with the form from the box and by the end of the year I should have the set right?

I wasn't even interested in this until I saw the picture.  I had to have that Luke and Leia.  Has there been any word of more being created?
Beth

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 2, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I don't like the lightsaber-in-the-arm thing. Otherwise the set looks to kick some serious ass!
« Last Edit: September 2, 2005, 05:19 PM by T-Bone Kenobi »

SilverZ

« Reply #310 on: September 2, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I'm back to my old paranoid self about the way these will be shipped, because I have, after my initial concerns months ago, ended up  moving. I'm fully expecting them to ship via a cheap method so that they won't be forwarded. I've sent Hasbro CS an email, and with some hope, they'll get back to me before November.  ::)

I'm happy enough with the Chewie and Leia that that pile of crap Luke is fine with me. Why would they think the lightsaber thing that failed so miserably with Peasant Anakin would work here? Some 70's ideas are best left as nostalgia.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 2, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I'm back to my old paranoid self about the way these will be shipped, because I have, after my initial concerns months ago, ended up moving. I'm fully expecting them to ship via a cheap method so that they won't be forwarded. I've sent Hasbro CS an email, and with some hope, they'll get back to me before November. ::)

Jared, while I certainly hope that you'll get your figures, given Hasbro's attitude that nothing they do is wrong, you'll probably get the following response:

Thank you for contacting Hasbro Consumer Affairs.

Unfortunately, the item which you inquired about is being handled by a fulfillment company outside of Hasbro Toys, Inc. and as such, orders already placed cannot be changed.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you, and we will be sending you a coupon in the mail for use on a future Hasbro Toys purchase.

We hope you continue to enjoy our products for years to come.

They'll attempt to deflect all responsibility for the toys, then if that doesn't work, they'll do the Obi-Wan JSF trick and cry "STORE EXCLUSIVE!  WE CAN'T DO ****!", and Jebus help you if you ask them for the fulfillment center's contact information.   ::)

Paranoid ramblings that probably make you feel worse aside, Jared, the best thing you can probably do at this point is to contact the Post Office where you used to live to ask that all mail delivered to your old address be forwarded to your new address regardless, or at the very least held for pickup by a designated agent of your choice (like Matt, or someone else in Southern CA).  It still doesn't guarantee that you'll get the figures, but I think that asking Hasbro about it will be like beating your head against the wall after a certain point.

SilverZ

« Reply #312 on: September 3, 2005, 01:15 AM »
Yep, I'm fully prepared for just such an email. I'm expecting them to ship third class.

I'm also expecting tons of the trays to start showing up on ebay from Asia in the next few weeks. They'll be cheaper than buying the packaging at Walmart was. That's the only way the shittiest exclusive in the modern line can conclude its glorious 6 month journey of stupidity.

Still like those Leia and Chewies, though.  :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 3, 2005, 12:08 PM »
I have actually been hoping this thing would be in my mailbox for weeks now.  Guess I should just relax and wait.  I think it will be a fun thing to have.  I guess in the mean time I should set up that cardboard display somewhere with my vintage figures and drive my wife nuts with it.  Put in the living room or something :)

SilverZ

« Reply #314 on: September 6, 2005, 01:12 PM »
A response from Hasbro regarding package forwarding:

Discussion Thread
 Response (Charlotte) 09/06/2005 01:04 PM
Hi Jared,

Thank you for contacting Hasbro.

The items will not be forwarded. Please provide your current address so that we may update your information.

We appreciate your patience. We hope you will enjoy our products for many years to come.

Make sure you contact them if you've moved!  :-\