Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110325 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #345 on: September 27, 2005, 07:27 PM »
If you like, I just happen to have Hasbro's phone number laying around here.... ;D
Well I should hope you have the number -- after all, you work for Hasbro, don't you?   ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 07:28 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 27, 2005, 07:34 PM »
Well it is still a decent nod to the original EB concept IMO.  I think I may like the stage the best.  LOL!  Oh well.  You win some and lose some I suppose.  I am still looking forward to getting figures in the mail.  At least we get 4 figures for $30 plus a stage instead of one figure for $12.99, or $14.99 plus shipping after that. 

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 27, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Well I should hope you have the number -- after all, you work for Hasbro, don't you?   ;)

I'm not really an evasive corporate lackey; I just play one on the internets.  ;D

As for the Early Bird set itself, I think this might be one of the only times I've passed on a set of unique figures and not felt bad about it.  The Chewie looks great, but so far it seems like the other three are underwhelming.  I'd be cool with the telescoping lightsaber homage, actually, believe it or not, if it was done well, and not hastily slapped together like the 2002 Saga Peasant Anakin.  To be quite honest, I was expecting the right arm on Luke to just be the arm from that Anakin figure, given the rapid development and release of this set.

But, as with anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I am not going to rag on the figures or anything, but I still stand by my original statement much earlier in this thread, that this was probably the worst conceived exclusive of all time, and it could and probably has resulted in some heated words from Bentonville and some probable placation toward Bentonville from Pawtucket.  :-\

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 6, 2005, 12:05 PM »
Just curious, but has anyone here who sent in for these received them yet?  I know we've heard of a few online, but it doesn't seem like it has been widespread yet.  Anyways just wondering if anyone else has gotten their set(s) yet.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 6, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I sent the first few of mine in on the Monday after Midnight Madness. And the 2nd wave I sent in 3 weeks later.

I haven't received any of them as of yet....I wonder if it is a regional thing...they guy who got his I think was in Minnesota. They haven't made it as far South as Texas yet.....but there is a comic show next week, I bet there is one for sale there...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #350 on: October 6, 2005, 10:35 PM »
I haven't received mine yet, but I sent it in August, so it might be a while yet.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Tijuanajedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ay Chichona!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 7, 2005, 02:22 AM »
Still waiiting on mine, and I sent it in the beggining of May.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #352 on: October 7, 2005, 10:01 AM »
I heard a rumor that Hasbro only shipped out 1000 of the 50000 to the distributor house so far.

Something along the lines of using those 1000 as early teaser sets to try to get people off their butts and order the remaining sets from Wal-Mart.com if they haven't already.  Hasn't been confirmed anywhere, just the rumor that is going around.

On the other hand, I did hear of a few more on-line associates who got theirs this week, so they could be trickling out still...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #353 on: October 7, 2005, 10:06 AM »
I'm still waiting for mine. I hope they get here sooner than later.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 7, 2005, 11:48 AM »
I heard a rumor that Hasbro only shipped out 1000 of the 50000 to the distributor house so far.

Something along the lines of using those 1000 as early teaser sets to try to get people off their butts and order the remaining sets from Wal-Mart.com if they haven't already. Hasn't been confirmed anywhere, just the rumor that is going around.

On the other hand, I did hear of a few more on-line associates who got theirs this week, so they could be trickling out still...

That certainly sounds like something they would do.  I think the problem at this point is that the majority of WMs who got the EBs in the first place have either clearanced them out or they sent them back to Hasbro; either way, those stores don't have the EB sets anymore.  Plus, the reaction to the figures hasn't been all that great (I think the most positive I've seen so far is "The Chewbacca is great, but the rest are disappointing"), so I don't know those kind of glowing reviews are going to motivate people to pay 30 bucks for this now.

And to reiterate my question from earlier, how exactly are the online stores getting the actual EB figures when to get them they were supposed to order them using the EB kit?  I'm very dubious of retailers in Southeast Asia having these for sale when the offer was seemingly only open to the US and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that Hasbro would make available to the secondary market on an above-the-table basis.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #355 on: October 7, 2005, 11:57 AM »
I think the problem at this point is that the majority of WMs who got the EBs in the first place have either clearanced them out or they sent them back to Hasbro; either way, those stores don't have the EB sets anymore. 

The extra EB Kits that were not sold in the stores were sent back to the distribution centers be sold via the on-line Wal-Mart.com store.  That is why in Hasbro's September Update about the EB Kits, they specifically mention buying them at Wal-Mart.com and not the stores.

As for how places like Action-HQ and other e-tailers are selling them, well I think they must be getting them from the classic "they fell off the truck" method.  The same way that those eBay sellers can offer loads and loads of loose/complete Army Builders so cheap.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #356 on: October 8, 2005, 11:36 AM »
 ;D I just got my set in the mail!!!!! Its actually very cool, Leia is my favorite. Chewy is nice and tall, and to be honest I love the Luke, very nice nod to the vintage line.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #357 on: October 8, 2005, 01:03 PM »
;D I just got my set in the mail!!!!!

Me too!  My comments mirror those who have gone before -

Chewy = Excellent
Luke = OK
Leia = OK
R2-D2 = OK

Nothing stunning or spectacular, but I must admit I am excited to finally have my "box of empty promises" fufilled.  ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #358 on: October 9, 2005, 03:38 AM »
I got mine today (Pittsburgh, PA area) as well.

My comments?

-Chewbacca...  Fantastic.  Probably the only reason I am thankful I got this set, actually, and he'll fill a great void I have since I got the VOTC Chewie last year...  The void of a SA Bacca with the ANH/ESB hair-did.  ****** weapon though.  If it was hollow, I'd think it was a novelty condom because it sure seems like it's made of latex.

-Leia...  Eh...  Commtech is better and is the figure that they should've included to just give people some happiness beyond Chewbacca.  The paint's a tad sloppy, the sculpt's ok, the articulation's non-existant.  The saving grace is the sculpt being something different, and that's at least cool.

-R2...  Eh...  Bar2-D2's better and taking away the "extras" the VOTC figure had is more or less insulting given what the set cost.  Just put in VOTC R2 and quit being so damn cheap.

-Luke...  Attrocious.  This is POTF2 quality if you ask me.  The colors are so far off it's not even funny (almost looks like a medical Robes Luke from the end of ESB, actually).  The paintjob's as sloppy as Leia's too.  This figure isn't one I'm fond of, however my gf's kids are both wanting one of these so if any of you find yourself with a ton of extras of Luke I'd take them to just make the kids happy.  For my $ though I hope the telescoping saber feature is left to 1978-1985 where it belongs.  At least Outlander Ani has someone to feel like a ******bag with now though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2005, 06:08 PM »
Just a heads up to folks who may of done the same thing as myself.  I forgot to remove the UPC from the package when I sent in the form and receipt back in May.  I was concerned that they would not honor what I sent.  My fears proved wrong and I received the figs today.