Author Topic: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive  (Read 110344 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Wal-Mart "Early Bird" Exclusive
« Reply #420 on: March 17, 2006, 05:16 AM »
Better overnight that one you got Jared.  ;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #421 on: March 17, 2006, 06:04 AM »
Yeah, me too!  I finally nabbed a third set when they hit $12 out here, since I definitely wanted another of those Chewie's, and I was keen on picking up another Leia too.  So I guess for the price of a regular figure nowadays for each of those, I was willing to bit the bullet and go for Round 3.  Now if I can only keep from forgetting to mail the entry out by the end of the month...  :-\

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 17, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I wanted another Chewie too, but I haven't seen one for less than $19. Too late I guess.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 17, 2006, 03:47 PM »
So what is everyone's guess as to what will happen will all the excess figures out there that Hasbro is sitting on?  Dollar stores, online shops, landfill?

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #424 on: March 17, 2006, 04:20 PM »
Landfill :D
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 17, 2006, 06:29 PM »
So what is everyone's guess as to what will happen will all the excess figures out there that Hasbro is sitting on?  Dollar stores, online shops, landfill?

SWS.com exclusive.  $29.99.  Plus shipping.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 18, 2006, 01:01 PM »

SWS.com exclusive.  $29.99.  Plus shipping.

Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have a winner!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #427 on: March 20, 2006, 03:08 PM »
I got my EB figs today.   :)  I mailed away for them at the end of January, so they came pretty fast.  I really wish I had been able to score another set, these are really fantastic, especially for a buck.   ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #428 on: March 20, 2006, 09:03 PM »
Good to hear people still getting their figures Spuffy.

The Chewbacca is my favorite...  the others left me feeling like the set was a waste, maybe Leia was passable, but Chewbacca was reallly a fantastic figure.  Proof Hasbro can put out the VOTC Chewie with new heads just to make a great new Chewbacca and save lots of $$$ on the toolings/start-up costs to do a NEW figure.

Stuff like that makes me wonder why they didn't just use the VOTC Chewie as the ROTS figure.  Put a new head on it, new paintjob, and voila.  Action features are nice for kids I guess, but articulation gets kids attention too...  Skip the complexity of the feature, and save a buck by putting out the super artiuclated figure again.  No fuss, no muss.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #429 on: March 20, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Yeah, overall, the figs don't measure up.  Chewie alone is one of the best figures Hasbro has ever done, and combine that with what I paid I'm pretty happy.  Luke is a nice bit of nostalgia, but the articulation and the paint apps lack big time.  Leia looks great but is a statue, and R2 is good but not great.  I really don't understand why Hasbro doesn't use the VOTC Chewie sculpt from here on out.  Anything less is an insult!

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2006, 06:10 PM »
I really don't understand why Hasbro doesn't use the VOTC Chewie sculpt from here on out.  Anything less is an insult!

Most definitely! I don't know that there ever needs to be another Chewbacca body sculpt again?! Just different heads popped on that body. He's just about the single greatest SW action figure ever made. 8) As to the repacking of older, inferior sculpts, I guess they want to get their money's worth out of them. That and promote some BS notion that the VOTC sculpt is premium with all its seperate parts and ball joints, and continue to offer it only in overpriced premium formats like VOTC, EB, etc. ::)

I just love that figure... He's got everything; proper scale and height; he's more jointed than some human figures; the sculpt doesn't suffer at all from the articulation; he can even sit down at the cantina! Absolutely amazing. :) :) :)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2006, 08:47 PM »

I just love that figure... He's got everything; proper scale and height; he's more jointed than some human figures; the sculpt doesn't suffer at all from the articulation; he can even sit down at the cantina! Absolutely amazing. :) :) :)

That's why I bought 3. :)

I love this Chewie as well, it amazes me how Hasbro thinks they can get away with repacking crappy figures when there are better version out there. For the TSC prisoner Chewie they really needed to use the VOTC body and give him a chain, Fett needed to be a VOTC repack, Anakin needed to be the Evolution Anakin, and the Vader should have been an Evolution Vader. I don't buy that it costs them so much more to put these out, they already raised the prices. Collecters will buy them, kids will buy them, and customizers will buy them, it is a win-win situation, which I suppose is the reason they don't do it. ::)
"This is the way."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #432 on: March 21, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I received my EB Set yesterday as well and I'm pleasantly surprised with the Chewie and the Leia, I'm sick of this R2 now and I'd love to take the "Ronco Miracle Blades" to Luke's right arm. But aside from that, I'm happy with the set.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #433 on: March 21, 2006, 08:59 PM »
One of my local WMs has a shizload of these at 19.99. I wonder if they know that these areabout to become recycling fodder.

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Padawan Wagaboodles

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose wisely
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #434 on: March 22, 2006, 10:23 AM »
Yeah, mine has had a bunch for $19.99 for a long time.  I'm still waiting for them to go down . . . .