Author Topic: Terminator the Series  (Read 43869 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Terminator the Series
« Reply #255 on: May 6, 2009, 11:20 AM »
All those shows had below expected ratings in their more favorable time slots.  I remember that Terminator started strong, but lost audience very quickly.  Prison Break this season cratered (which was just God awful from day one this season... horrible writing after very solid previous seasons... extremely disappointing).  If they can't hold an audience on Monday before 24, there's no reason for Fox to keep them there.  So they're moved to a night where they'll do less damage in ad revenue.  They're not put there to die.  They're put there because they've underperformed.

There have been shows that launched on Friday... Dollhouse & Firefly, for example.  Those could have done well, but they were mishandled.  I haven't heard whether Dollhouse was picked up for next season or not.  I'm hoping they give it a shot.

BTW, there's a huge difference between House and those other shows.  House is flat-out brilliant.   ;)
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 6, 2009, 11:59 AM »
I think if you look at a list of cancelled shows on Fox, you will see that they either started or were shifted to Fridays.  Without American Idol, Fox probably wouldn't crack the top 10.  Fox has very little patience with any show that isn't a blockbuster for them.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 6, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Clicky...clicky.

Friday night death slot

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #258 on: May 6, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I think if you look at a list of cancelled shows on Fox, you will see that they either started or were shifted to Fridays.  Without American Idol, Fox probably wouldn't crack the top 10.  Fox has very little patience with any show that isn't a blockbuster for them.

That's not always true.  King of the Hill was never a big hit, and they kept it around forever.  They've given a long run to American Dad despite ratings well below Family Guy.  This year Fringe took quite a while to get established, but they stuck with it.  Now it's the top new series of the year.

Of course I'll always be pissed at them for canceling John Doe...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 6, 2009, 01:01 PM »
The only difference with Bones and House (besides ratings numbers maybe) is that Fox didn't move those shows to the dead zone of Friday nights...that is where they put any show they want to kill off for low ratings.  Boston Public, Dark Angel, Prison Break among many others have been moved to Fridays and then promptly cancelled.

Dark Angel got cancelled as much for a completely ****** second season as it did for being on Friday.  It lost everything from the first season that made it a fun show to watch.  Sorry, but the The Beast showing up in season two was one of the worst ideas ever.

Prison Break, I might also point out, was moved to Friday after they'd already made the call to cancel it.  And as much as I love Prison Break, I really am okay with them ending it this year, as long as they have some outcome to this whole Scylla/Company/Mom thing.

I am in agreement with the statement that FOX treats its shows badly.  FOX is the worst network as far as fostering a show is concerned.  Sure, the other networks will have that rare show that will get only a couple airing and then get pulled, but nobody does it as regularly as FOX.  If I were in the business of creating a show and found out that FOX picked it up, I'd probably quit and start looking for a new job.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 7, 2009, 08:16 AM »

That's not always true.  King of the Hill was never a big hit, and they kept it around forever.  They've given a long run to American Dad despite ratings well below Family Guy.  This year Fringe took quite a while to get established, but they stuck with it.  Now it's the top new series of the year.

Of course I'll always be pissed at them for canceling John Doe...

I fully expected Fringe to get cancelled just because of the type of show that it is.  If you look at the Fox cancelled list, a lot of the shows are sci-fi/fantasy type shows.  I'm surprised the Lone Gunmen wasn't on the list...I thought it would have ended up on Fridays at some point.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #261 on: May 7, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I fully expected Fringe to get cancelled just because of the type of show that it is.  If you look at the Fox cancelled list, a lot of the shows are sci-fi/fantasy type shows.  I'm surprised the Lone Gunmen wasn't on the list...I thought it would have ended up on Fridays at some point.

One thing you need to give Fox credit for is that at least they give sci-fi/fantasy a shot.  They're always trying to find the next cult hit.  That's led to some very good series, but also many, many misses.

Other networks rarely even try sci-fi.

I held off watching Dollhouse and Fringe because I didn't want to get sucked into something that gets dropped after one season.  Don't know that they've decided on Dollhouse yet, but I'll definitely be renting the Fringe series one Blu-ray as soon as it becomes available.  I'm hoping they give Dollhouse another year... I'd heard it picked up in the second half of the season, and attracted more viewers.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 7, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I started watching Fringe but didn't get into it that much.  It's another show, like Lost, where there are all these hidden things in parts of it that lead to a bigger mystery.  And have an online component and all that.  I'm sorry, I appreciate their ambition, but I want to spend an hour a week with a show and be able to know what's going on, I don't want to have to then spend hours sifting through web sites trying to get clues. 

Dollhouse, on the other hand, I started out not really liking but it's definitely picked up in the last couple of weeks.  However, I really don't really see where the show goes in the long run.  I don't get what the vision is on that show for a long, multi-year run.  IMO, the plot of the show lends itself better to a film or a mini series, not an ongoing television show.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 7, 2009, 04:29 PM »
I've been watching Fringe from time to time...it's better than decent.  A little silly, but engaging enough.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 7, 2009, 05:44 PM »
I started watching Fringe but didn't get into it that much.  It's another show, like Lost, where there are all these hidden things in parts of it that lead to a bigger mystery.  And have an online component and all that.  I'm sorry, I appreciate their ambition, but I want to spend an hour a week with a show and be able to know what's going on, I don't want to have to then spend hours sifting through web sites trying to get clues. 

I've watched every episode of Fringe and have enjoyed it but am defineately not a huge fan of shows where just watching it isn't enough to know what's happening. I wait for next weeks episode to tell me what happened and leave with just more questions half the time.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 17, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Tomorrow, the official schedule will be announced from Fox. So far from what is being posted on the net, The Sarah Connor Chronicles is not in the line-up as expected.  :-\

This is what Fox has lined-up thus far from what I can find but just rumors thus far:

Monday -- "House," "Lie to Me"
Tuesday -- "SYTYCD," "Fringe"
Wednesday -- SYTYCD" results, "Glee"
Thursday -- "Bones," "Kitchen Nightmares" (with "Past Life" taking over after baseball)
Friday -- "Dollhouse"
Sunday -- "Brothers" at 7:30 out of NFL; "Cleveland" at 8:30, all others unchanged.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2009, 11:48 PM »
They're going to keep Dollhouse, but ditch Terminator?  Really?!  Well, that frees up another 42 minutes per week for me...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2009, 01:16 AM »
I can't get over cancelling TSCC and picking up Glee?  Really?  They should ask CBS how well scripted musicals work in prime time. 

I am happy that Dollhouse will be back, even if it's only 13 episodes.  That show really did pick up in the last couple weeks of the season even though I still really can't picture a long term vision for this particular show.

E...

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2009, 08:15 AM »
That "Glee" show being on the air at all is hard to wrap your head around.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2009, 08:22 AM »
That seems like a seudo schedule...SYTYCD is strickly a summer show, as well as Glee.  I doubt they would pick up Glee for the fall without even seeing how it does during a summer run.  Of course the dancing will be replaced with American Idol...I guess Lie to Me goes on hiatus when 24 returns.