Author Topic: Terminator the Series  (Read 43835 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Terminator the Series
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03 AM »
The first hour was okay, but this just seems like another filler until 24 gets back on its feet.  I really don't care for the actress they chose to play Sarah, but I dig the young female terminator for obvious reasons.  I'll leave now without spoiling anything except for the following:

Teachernator + leg + knife + gun = awesome   ;D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 01:10 AM »
The first hour was okay, but this just seems like another filler until 24 gets back on its feet.  I really don't care for the actress they chose to play Sarah, but I dig the young female terminator for obvious reasons.  I'll leave now without spoiling anything except for the following:

Teachernator + leg + knife + gun = awesome   ;D

I thought it was a really good pilot episode.  Definitely tuning in to see more tomorrow.  It still has suck potential, but I like all the main characters.  Can't believe you don't like Lena, Mike - I think she was great as a new SC.  I'm a little less fond of the teenaginator at this point, just because a teenage female terminator seems a little outside of what I would have envisioned for Skynet's attack plan.  That being said, I think they gave us a big clue that something is different about her based on her comments at the gas station.  Maybe she's not a skynet creation?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 09:45 AM »
I enjoyed it- and I guess the whole bank vault thing made sense.  I thought the time displacement device was destroyed the first time, but I guess not.  Maybe they can explain that all Terminators and protectors were sent at the same time, to different time periods before the machine was destroyed.  After all, Skynet could theoretically send back a Terminator to every second of Sarah's or John's existence, or even to kill Sarah's parents.  It just gets out of control that way; they need to limit how many times the displacement device can be used.  Also, I don't mind different actors for different T-800s; in fact, in the first movie, Reese's flashback to the Terminator attack inside the Resistance's base had a different actor (we don't see him TOO well, but he's Arnold's real bodybuilder friend Franco Columbu).  If every single T-800 looked like Arnold, they'd always be able to spot him immediately.  Better that Arnold T-800 is a sub-model of many different T-800 models.
Sidenote: I want to recommend the 2 novels by S. M. Stirling called T2:Infiltrator and T2:Rising Storm.  They are a sort of "Sarah Connor Chronicles" in themselves, and feature a female bad Terminator called an Infiltrator.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Not sure if I liked the show or not.  I guess it was okay, but I doubt I'll tune in unless there is nothing else on.  I might DVR the show, but I'm not going to go out of my way to watch.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I enjoyed it- and I guess the whole bank vault thing made sense.  I thought the time displacement device was destroyed the first time, but I guess not.  Maybe they can explain that all Terminators and protectors were sent at the same time, to different time periods before the machine was destroyed.  After all, Skynet could theoretically send back a Terminator to every second of Sarah's or John's existence, or even to kill Sarah's parents.  It just gets out of control that way; they need to limit how many times the displacement device can be used.  Also, I don't mind different actors for different T-800s; in fact, in the first movie, Reese's flashback to the Terminator attack inside the Resistance's base had a different actor (we don't see him TOO well, but he's Arnold's real bodybuilder friend Franco Columbu).  If every single T-800 looked like Arnold, they'd always be able to spot him immediately.  Better that Arnold T-800 is a sub-model of many different T-800 models.
Sidenote: I want to recommend the 2 novels by S. M. Stirling called T2:Infiltrator and T2:Rising Storm.  They are a sort of "Sarah Connor Chronicles" in themselves, and feature a female bad Terminator called an Infiltrator.

Couple of thoughts here:

1.) I seem to recall Reese saying in T1 that only he and Arnold were able to get through before the device was destroyed.  If Skynet had unlimited terminators to send, why not just send 100 terminators back to the same timeline? That doesn't mean there wasn't a second device though.  We don't have a clear picture of what happened with the future battle, but I don't think its far fetched for Skynet to have created a second device or to have rebuilt it using its original plans.  There has to be some other device out there in order for T2 and T3 to have happened.  I'm not sure how they would wipe out Skynet anyway - seems like the tech would be there for its "essence" to move wirelessly to back up machines if it was faced with destruction. 

2.) I'm perfectly fine with multiple 800 series models as well.  If you just made one and they all looked the same, the resistance would be able to spot them as easily as a robot version.  But if you had 10-20-100 different versions, you could keep doing the same trick over and over.

Its interesting to note that Skynet can't completely wipe out humanity at any time prior to its own creation or it would end up erasing itself from existence.  What I don't get so far is the mention last night that Engineers were sent back in time to build a new device.  If they can do that, why not send terminators back in time and have them focus on building skynet instead of hunting JC?
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I watched it out of curiosity but really had low expectations of it....and it really didn't wow me at all.

I thought the time travel bit at the end was lame and completely unnecessary, although I am a bit intrigued that there's a resistance movement sent back in time to stop this seemingly endless supply of terminators sent back to try and kill John Connor.  I'll watch tonight's episode mainly because I'm taping Prison Break and cannot remember which one is coming on first.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 04:26 PM »
I'll watch tonight's episode mainly because I'm taping Prison Break and cannot remember which one is coming on first.

Prison Break 8pm/7pm central  (only 5 episodes left of the season)
Terminator    9pm/8pm central

;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Thanks iFett, I think the five episode run has to do with the writer's strike, so hopefully we'll see the actual end of the season soon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I'm really liking this show the more I think about it.  Let's see what they can do tonight...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 10:29 PM »
I'm really liking this show the more I think about it.  Let's see what they can do tonight...

Flat Flat Flat....I didn't care for tonight's episode whatsoever...but it's a filler between now and 24 so we'll see what happens.  Prison Break totally overshadowed this show.  They should have aired the shows in reverse order IMO.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 10:59 PM »
Flat Flat Flat....I didn't care for tonight's episode whatsoever...but it's a filler between now and 24 so we'll see what happens.  Prison Break totally overshadowed this show.  They should have aired the shows in reverse order IMO.

I agree that tonight's show was flat as they were trying to introduce enough of the story to set things up for future episodes.  However, the preview for the next episode had a lot of scenes that make me want to tune in next week...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 09:48 AM »
I won't rain on anyone's parade with my thoughts...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I caught part of last night's ep... might have to catch it on the Fox site.

One thing I don't understand about Summer Glau's terminator was that she was the perky talkative teenager with flowing movements, but once her Terminator side kicked in she's all the sudden the jerky, robotic, not so talkative. I know she was sent undercover to protect John at school, but why should she radically change her personality now that she's a robot. Anyone else notice this?

Another thing that I hope they don't keep doing is being on the run, having to assume new identities every episode. It seems like they've had to do that the first couple episodes. Otherwise, the typical episode is going to be... new town where no one knows them, new identities, Terminator and or FBI find them, fight off adversary, flee town to new one, repeat sequence.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 02:40 PM »
One thing I don't understand about Summer Glau's terminator was that she was the perky talkative teenager with flowing movements, but once her Terminator side kicked in she's all the sudden the jerky, robotic, not so talkative. I know she was sent undercover to protect John at school, but why should she radically change her personality now that she's a robot. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, noticed that myself.  In last night's episode, she seemed to be trying to learn how to be more human, with impersonating the girl's stance and brushing John's shoulder as she walked off.  Also, did you notice when the T-800 scanned her during the fall from the resistance's hideout, it read, "unknown cyborg"?  There are little hints too in her responses that she's not a typical Terminator...
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Maybe she's John Connor's future daughter from a liason with a Terminatrix and sent her back.  ;) J/k.