Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350469 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #630 on: December 30, 2007, 11:47 PM »
Cloverfield, from what I have heard, is just a monster destroying New York City. Pretty simple concept, sort of like Godzilla, I guess.

I've heard, but have no idea if it's true, that it is based on H.P. Lovecraft's monster - and if that is the case, and the movie is well done, it could be the coolest thing ever.

As for movies, my girlfriend and I have been trying to get caught up this week.

In the last few days I've seen Alien Vs. Predator, Sweeney Todd (sp?), No Country For Old Men, Hot Fuzz, and tomorrow we're going to see Juno in the early afternoon and National Treasure 2 a little later.

No Country might have been the best movie I've seen in the last year or two - it was absolutely brilliant.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:48 PM by Rob »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 31, 2007, 12:15 AM »
No Country might have been the best movie I've seen in the last year or two - it was absolutely brilliant.

Can I get a quote for truth? I have seen it 3 times thus far!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #632 on: December 31, 2007, 01:31 AM »
Saw Aliens Vs. Predator and Charlie Wilson's War this weekend. I shouldn't have bothered seeing AvP. Lesson learned.

So the new AVP sucked?  I thought I heard it was supposed to be pretty good - in fact it wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the original except for the birth of the Hybrid.

It was a lot better than the first one, but I think I just don't have an appetite for films like that anymore.  :-\
I'd have rather seen Juno, but it's not here yet and probably won't be.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 3, 2008, 10:18 AM »
Saw Aliens Vs. Predator and Charlie Wilson's War this weekend. I shouldn't have bothered seeing AvP. Lesson learned.

So the new AVP sucked?  I thought I heard it was supposed to be pretty good - in fact it wasn't supposed to have anything to do with the original except for the birth of the Hybrid.

It was a lot better than the first one, but I think I just don't have an appetite for films like that anymore.  :-\

No, I think it has more to do that the studio's don't take those types of films seriously any more and give them to filmmakers who can do something with worthy of the material.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #634 on: January 11, 2008, 12:28 AM »
Just got back from No Country.

This guy is one creepy son of a bitch.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25 AM »
I saw Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon at the IMAX theater in Alamogordo (Space Museum) recently.  Good stuff.  Also, I made the mistake of renting Creepshow 3 the other night.  Absolutely horrible.  The WORST movie I have ever seen (even worse than Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation, featuring Matthew McConaughey & Rene Zellwegger).     
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 11, 2008, 09:29 AM »

My wife thought it was the same actor.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #637 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14 AM »
I just saw AVP and Sweeney Todd last night. 

AVP-R - As hard as it is to believe the characters were worse than in AVP 1.  There was no one I actually gave a **** about.  The action was fantastic, but that was to be expected.  The Predalien was pretty amazing as well.  Overall I give it an "eh", but I might catch it one more time before it disappears completely.

Sweeney Todd - The most morbidly beautiful movie I've ever seen in my life.  Having never seen the show I have nothing to compare it to, but Tim Burton rarely disappoints me and this one actually exceeded my expectations.  I'd heard some complaints about Carter's vocals, but I thought they were more than sufficient.  The way the movie was shot, the performances...everything was top notch.  The only thing I had trouble getting past was hearing Jack Sparrow in Johnny Depp's voice.  :)

A lot of good previews between the 2 movies as well.  I'll probably be at the theater in 2008 more than I have been in a good 10 years.

John

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 14, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I just finished reading a book about the CIA in Afghanistan.  Pretty good read by the leader of the first team in.

Now I'm reading For Liberty and Glory about George Washington and Lafayette and the roles they played in the revolutions within their respective countries.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: January 14, 2008, 04:11 PM »
I finally saw There Will Be Blood yesterday.

If it weren't for No Country, I'd be talking about this one as the best movie I've seen in forever.

Both of them were amazing.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 14, 2008, 04:11 PM »

I'd like to steal that for my new avatar.

Thanks.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #641 on: January 14, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I finally saw There Will Be Blood yesterday.

If it weren't for No Country, I'd be talking about this one as the best movie I've seen in forever.

Both of them were amazing.

I desperately want to see TWBB.  Not playing here.

I love pretty much everything PTA's ever done, and DDL's performance is nothing short of astounding, as I understand it.

ISHULAITP.

(I should have used less acronyms in this post.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 14, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Oh good god! Enough of the remakes!  >:(

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #643 on: January 14, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Now that is just wrong. There is no way this can possibly come close to be as good as the original.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #644 on: January 14, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Oh good god! Enough of the remakes!  >:(

The Day the Earth Stood Still

It's got Jon Hamm in it...it can't be bad.  ;)

But yeah...enough of this garbage. 

John