Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 3602 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Another excellent installment.  Seeing all those troops at the Imperial base was amazing.  Loved seeing more tank drivers and Shoretroopers, and just the inside of an imperial base like that.  Redemption of Mayfeld was excellent - nice to see him with some humanity and another potential future ally.  I thought he was going to turn on Mando, but the back story on why he left the Empire was really cool.  The ongoing pirate attack was fun to watch too. 

My only nit with this episode was the hologram warning at the end.  I like the sentiment, but alerting Gideon that he's coming doesn't seem like the smartest move and maybe a bit out of character.  I guess you can argue that he's developing into somebody new now that he has Grogu to care about, but that felt overboard to me.

Very sad that we're down to just one more episode this evening, but I can see re-watching the whole thing over the holidays.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2020, 02:53 PM »
My only nit with this episode was the hologram warning at the end.  I like the sentiment, but alerting Gideon that he's coming doesn't seem like the smartest move and maybe a bit out of character.  I guess you can argue that he's developing into somebody new now that he has Grogu to care about, but that felt overboard to me.

I thought the same thing.  Heck, Gideon might have even thought him dead after the orbital blasting of The Razor Crest.  This does away with some of the element of surprise, but I guess maybe its more dramatic this way.   ::)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2020, 03:09 PM »
I also thought announcing you're coming to Gideon in real life would be a bad move. But in a TV show, to have Din give the exact speech Gideon gave to him on the S1 finale to show how strong the relationship between he and Grogu has grown was beautifully written.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2020, 07:50 PM »
I actually liked the Holo-threat.  It's a classic psyop.  I'm coming for the child and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Which leads me to believe we're seeing the Bo-Katan and the night owls in the finale!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2020, 10:12 PM »
My only nit with this episode was the hologram warning at the end.

This does away with some of the element of surprise, but I guess maybe its more dramatic this way.   ::)

I agree that it's not a very smart tactical move, but it's a very western movie/show trope, which fits right in with the stylings of this show.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2020, 10:29 AM »
Great point, Jeff!  The Western elements in this show have been there all throughout - especially in the first episode of the season.  Calling law enforcement 'Marshall'; the posse going after the Krayt dragon;  likening the Sand People to Native American tribes;  the shootout between Din Djarin and Lang - who was portrayed by an actor who also played a gunfighter in "Tombstone";  the countless nods for both Din Djarin and Boba Fett to Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no name';  they even got a couple of cast members from "Deadwood" for that first episode!

There's something to be said for a threat like the one Din Djarin made.  Because he essentially said that he's coming for the Child, and there's nothing Moff Gideon can do to stop him.

Okay.  So now that it's been established that Boba's armor is Beskar, which is pretty much indestructible (as evident by Mando), I wonder if they will explain how Fett get his helmet dented?

Perhaps he got hit in the head with the Armorer's hammer?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 10:36 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2020, 09:06 PM »
I agree that it's not a very smart tactical move, but it's a very western movie/show trope, which fits right in with the stylings of this show.

Beautiful analogy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2020, 05:33 AM »
DAMN.

That is all for at least the next 24 hours.

This is the way.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Dank Farrik!

That has replaced Frell as my go to fake curse word!  :D

BTW.....there is a post credit scene.  I shall say no more.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 10:34 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2020, 10:56 AM »
Holy ****, I love this show.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2020, 02:44 PM »
He is us and we are him.  We all feel that way watching it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2020, 12:49 AM »
Guys. 

Guys.... I don’t know what to say.  This show is by far the best thing to come out if Star Wars since ROTJ and it’s not close.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2020, 12:57 AM »
I'm teary eyed and grinning all at once.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2020, 03:14 AM »
JFC, that was amazing, some of the best SW stuff in a loooong time. From start to finish, just exciting and fun. So many thoughts to sort out now!

So thankful for all the quality people involved with this project, the extra thought and attention to details really says a lot about their commitment.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 19, 2020, 06:02 AM »
Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni and the entire production team truly get IT.  They get Star Wars in a way that is so beautifully engrained in the series and this particular show.  And hat's off to Peyton Reed who directed this particular episode!

I have to wake up super early for my job.  And yesterday (Friday) I happened to wake up more than an hour earlier than I was supposed to (4:30), and I realized that Chapter 16 had dropped and there was time before I had to log into my job remotely.  I just wasn't prepared for this to be so completely riveting from beginning to end.  It felt very much the same watching it the second time.  The air of secrecy around Star Wars during the Disney era has been really frustrating for us as collectors (waiting a year or more for figures of new characters), but when the payoff is like THIS?  Keep being secretive, please!

Oh, and in the post credits scene?  Fantastic Kenner style easter egg!!!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 08:11 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback