Author Topic: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)  (Read 362115 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Official 1:18 Military Toys Thread (21st, BBI, FOV, etc)
« Reply #765 on: April 29, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I can't wait to see (and buy) the Hiya Colonial Marines. For the time being the green armored troopers provided by Marauder will be stand-ins in my collection, but once the real deal becomes available I will upgrade.

As for Acid Rain I sorta want to get on board but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The designs really lend themselves to army building, but unfortunately the prices don't. I'll still probably cave on the statue set and most recent trooper figure before too long.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:15 PM by Greg »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #766 on: April 29, 2014, 05:16 PM »
I ordered the 2 figures with the statue...  I've got so much to buy going forward this Summer between my house and cars and my gf's house and cars, that ordering one of the walker tanks would just not happen this year.  Maybe if they're around later, I'll get one.  Come Fall things should die down here finally, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 29, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Did you see the mobile base-lookign vehicle with extending wall pieces? It isn't up for pre-order yet, but I'm screwed whenever that happens. 

This thing:

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 05:33 PM by Greg »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #768 on: April 29, 2014, 06:27 PM »
I saw it but didn't realize it hadn't been even up for pre-order yet.  Figured I missed it.  Yeah...  I may cave for that.

Though that other piece that turns into a mech, my goodness.  I could so see Star Wars tech evolving into stuff like that.  It seems pretty static, but there's a leap there that I think would be absolutely believable in that galaxy.

Face it I'm gonna buy both those big sets, at some point.  I'm out of control.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 30, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I ended up backing the Marauder Kickstarter.  It's the first time I've done it but after they unlocked a couple of the stretch goals, especially for the Spec Ops figure, I wanted in.  I donated at the price that gets you 3 figures and then threw on an extra $30 for two stretch options.  I'll get the Spec Ops figure but I'm not positive what else, either one of the other figures or an accessory set.  I'll make that call when the survey goes out.

I've been eyeballing the Acid Rain stuff but don't think I'll get into any of it.  Price is the main reason but also space, I can't be adding new vehicles to the collection at this point. 

I also haven't picked up the Hiya Toys Alien either.  I kinda want one but I more want the Colonial Marines figures.  I should probably bite the bullet on the Alien just to help show that there's interest so they keep going.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2014, 09:05 PM »
Interest is what keeps it going Eric, I can attest to that...  They're not doing kickstarters and whatnot, so it's all going to be based on how things sell.  The Our War figures are on the same block basically.  They live/die by how fans support the line.  The Germans, I'm geeked to get them myself since I have a ton of WW2 figures in the scale already, and my friend there let me know which nationalities were up after (Russians for the first time, and probably American Infantry).

I'm geeked at the thought they may touch on Brits/Canadians/Aussies some day then.  I'd love some D-Day Brits/Canadians though, and Aussies for my Japanese soldiers to have someone new to shoot at.

I'd be into European "Resistance" fighters too...  Any nationality would basically work though most immediately think French.

For the Russians I'd guess they'll do Spring to counter the Spring Offensive Germans they made...  US, I'd like to see some "warm weather" guys in less gear just to mix it up a little from 21st and BBI's work.

Cold Weather Russians would be greatly appreciated too though since that's largely what their uniforms are remembered as, and would look great for Fall of Berlin scenes.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 1, 2014, 10:53 AM »
The Marauder Kickstarter ended with a bit over $244000 from around 1200 backers. Crazy how such a small market was willing to shell out so much.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #772 on: May 1, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Not only crazy, but it shows dedication where dedication (focused anyway) doesn't really exist among our group anymore...  Look at all these playset kickstarters not getting a fraction of that.

The last great thing collectors did in Star Wars was get Wilrow Hood made...  Seriously.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 2, 2014, 02:36 AM »
I just got an email from Marauder that they're going to offer two additional accessory sets even though they didn't get unlocked during the run.

Four things with the Marauder Kickstarter; the G.I. Joe guys are a mixed bag of the cheapest collectors and those that don't seem to have an upper limit on expenditures.  Star Wars can be like that but it always seemed more extreme to me with the Joe guys.  The guys that'll buy at top dollar, those are the guys funding this.  The funding level works out to an average of $204 per backer.  While there are SW guys that'll pony up, I don't think a SW kickstarter would get a $200+ average.  Besides, all those accessories and extra figs in different decos increased the desire to pay more to unlock stretch goals, the Death Star didn't have any stretch goals and the Ewok Space trees had a $50 price before you got anything while Marauder gave you a figure w/ accessories at a $19 donation.

Second, and probably the most important thing, Marauder has a legit manufacturing company lined up to do these figures plus they were designed by pros, Boss Fight Studios, who have worked on Hasbro products and do work for the Joe Club.  Marauder already manufactures accessories with a known quality to them.  The Star Wars dios that I think you're talking about, Jesse, are being 3D printed by guys "in their basement."  Meaning, not professional manufacturing.  I'm not inclined to offer money to someone that's not in manufacturing and probably doesn't really get what all goes into it.  My impression, Marauder is doing retail quality manufactured toys while the SW dios are garage kits.

Kickstarter is the third thing.  Marauder has been there before and Kickstarter is the popular site for this type of thing.  The SW dios got funded but they used Indiegogo...I'd never heard of that site until Yakface started advertising the sets.  I don't know what their reach is, but that may have had something to do with it.

Finally, dios.  There is a segment of SW collectors that want dios, but I've always said that it's not as big as some people think.  I've had that argument with Chewie a couple times, especially on the playset vs dio angle.  Marauder is making generic military action figures that fit in with G.I. Joe collections and are playable toys.  A 3D printed dio may look good on a shelf but it won't interact with your existing fleet of vehicles and they're specific to displaying, usually, a certain type of figure.  Generic figures?  They go anywhere in a collection you want to put them.

I can't think of anything Star Wars related that could hit Kickstarter or the Indiegogo site that I'd back.  If Hasbro ever went the way Mattel did to get Castle Greyskull funded by offering pre-orders, and they were doing an amazing Death Star playset (not dio) or maybe Sandcrawler, I might be in.  But 3d printed?  No thanks.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #774 on: May 6, 2014, 01:18 AM »
I'm there with you E...

And your point about "dio" vs. "Playset" is big...  I personally prefer "dio" myself, but that's not to say I don't appreciate playsets.  I have my Bespin one, and I was one of few who didn't bitch about that thing.  I love it.  I want to expand it, but I love it as-is, as a way to display my Bespin guys...  It makes them a billion times more interesting to look at, but that's just me.  I even enjoyed the goofy spandex block and "freezing" a figure.

It's far from a dio, but has a little of A & B mixed I think.

I like the realism of a dio piece, but I have a hard time seeing the point of endless hallways as a system of anything but a backdrop for your figures.  Kids won't want that, adults barely do...  The people who do are the guys who want something interesting behind their figure.

I am not opposed to 3D printed stuff, but I also have self-taught how to do my on work on that and you just need to know someone with a printer, or use an online one, to get that made...  Had a hard time seeing the need for kickstarters then.

Stuff like Acid Rain, a completely original idea, definitely have my attention...  Even the price, I guarantee I cave on one of those BIG walkers at some point.  I've not hesitated to drop more than that on my 1/16 RC tanks.  And while those are huge, moving, shooting, light/sound behemoths, I can totally get into Acid Rain's walker vehicles because the material crosses over to Star Wars well enough I can BS it into my Rebel arsenal or whatnot, and it's gorgeous manufactured stuff.

I think big accessories (step below a diorama IMO) have a little more traction but really, I think most people have that manufactured vs. garage kit mentality. 

I'm seeing that with a new model kit line I've gotten into...  Lots of resin kits coming out, and lots of resistance to those.  Some love them, despite the cost, and others just say it's not "real".

To each their own...  If all you wanted was a sci-fi looking hallway for a backdrop though, there's a model line already makes one.  It's interlocking, can expand any direction (up/down, front/back, left/right), and even has accessory arm things to plug into walls, it can be made to make large rooms or small rooms...  even octagonal hallways or square...  whatever.  I'm into that myself, but I know I'm the minority and I have to get it at a price I want to get it at for sure.  I have my ceiling on anything from Hasbro to garage stuff...  especially when I can make some of it myself, the same way, for far less.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 6, 2014, 01:30 PM »
Personally I will only buy factory-made toys. No resin figure kits or 3D printed dioramas for me. Factory-made toys are just what I have grown accustomed to so that is what I stick with. I don't want to worry about being gentle and delicate with more fragile pieces, otherwise I'd probably go for statues and high-end figures instead.

As for the success of the Marauder figures, I think a lot of that had to do with capturing what makes GI Joe appealing (detailed, highly articulated modern-military with a hint of Sci-Fi) while adding in the fresh modular aspect. The figures look close enough to Joes to fit right in with existing collections. The modular aspect is a cool looking feature that should appeal to troop builders, customizers, and people who always wanted to customize but don't have the time and/or skill (like me!). I certainly hope the figures perform well for Marauder once they start selling them thru there online store, and perhaps well enough to warrant real carded packaging and sales thru other retailers.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 6, 2014, 04:48 PM »
I think there are, or have been, a couple companies that released the modular walls you're talking about, Jesse.  I know one of the releases, maybe more, was done for the Gundam collectors in mind and the Transformers fans bought into it.  But, yeah, I've seen guys use them as backdrops for taking photos and they work with 3.75" figures up to Deluxe, maybe even Leader class TF stuff. 

It doesn't even have to be that fancy, I've seen excellent dio stories that printed a sci-fi type wall on regular paper and glued it to foam core to make walls and floors and it looked fine.

I can enjoy a good dio as much as anyone, but I'm personally more of a playset guy and that's the turning point in the arguments that I've had before.  Hasbro is a toy company that makes playsets, or made them in the past anyway, while what a lot of guys on the forums want are dios even though they pay lip service to the "playset" idea.  That Bespin set?  I love that thing!

I'm not completely opposed to 3D printed stuff.  Sean Huxter, who is a 12" GI Joe (mainly Adventure Team) collector, has recently been printing some AT themed accessory sets for his figures that have the feel of the vintage stuff released by Hasbro.  Just updated for the modern world.  The stuff turned out really well and looks great but it's mostly one offs or maybe a short run for a couple of friends.  And they're small, he's not doing trees or large wall pieces, he did a bazooka and a flight backpack, that type of thing.  There's also a guy that did a 3.75" scale AT Mobile Support Vehicle that's nice but for the cost of a low run piece like that, I'm not really in.

There's definitely a market for both playsets and dios as well as new figures and toys like what Marauder just pulled off or what Acid Rain and Boss Fight Studios are working on, but the key is finding the right market and getting people to buy in.  When it comes to Star Wars specifically, I think the market is so fractured it would be hard to find a large group to get in on one or two characters if we're talking figures and I think it gets narrower when you start talking playsets and dios.  I mean, how many carded collectors are out there, are they going to be in the market for a dio when they have no loose figures?

I think 3D printing could be really incredible going forward, but I feel like it eventually will be more in the model of people that want dios and custom pieces investing in a printer and downloading plans, or making them, and printing them at home or, like Jesse mentioned, ordering online rather than backing kickstarters.  I'd rather have a printer and make my own stuff than throw $50 to a guy in Australia to print me a tree.  I live in the woods, if I want a tree I can take a saw for a walk...

E...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #777 on: May 6, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Yup those were the things I was talking about E...  The walls.  I have some coming in with a big order I made recently, and can't wait.  I love stuff like that, but I can see OTHER uses too...  Interior fit stuff for ships, bases, etc.

I'm obviously not opposed to 3d prints myself since I've been working to teach myself that stuff for a little while now, and can do some pretty decent things when I want to, but mostly for myself or a friend, and we just order up a shipment and send them to ourselves.  So long as you can paint, it's a good way to avoid sculpting (which I'm NOT good at).  It's a bit of a learning curve, but really unless you're with Boss Fight, etc., you're not doing that level of work anyway...  Trust me, haha.

I like printing more for small accessories than entire scenes, but that's me maybe.

You should see some of the 3d print stuff I got for 1:18 military though...  MG tripod from WW2, etc.  The one guy even did tanks, and a Ketenrad.  Other guys used resin, but it's not really efficient, most people don't know how to work with it to create flawless casts (Again, something you learn with time), and resin's incredibly toxic so most people don't work safely with it either.

Everything has its place though.

Now if people could just figure out how to paint so it bonds chemically to plastic, resins, etc., ala the process in manufacturing, and replicate it, we'd be set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #778 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36 PM »
EDIT: Wrong location to post that, sorry.

Meant to post in the other 4" scale thread.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:27 PM by Jesse James »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 28, 2015, 02:31 AM »
My Marauder Gun Runners figures showed up Friday and I had a little time to play around with a couple today.  I ordered a set of 3 as my main pledge; black, grey and desert tan. I added on the red and green versions.  There was a bonus head with a painted balaclava, a MGR figure stand for each figure and a random pistol and rifle for each figure.

My order came with two extra tactical vests, tan and grey.  I'm assuming that was just a thank you type thing because I don't remember it being listed in any of the Kickstarter updates. The pistols were random and mostly the same but the rifles were all different. I received a Barrett .50,  FN P90, QBZ-95, FAMAS, and one of the old G.I. Joe style laser rifles.

Each figure has a head, a tac vest and a bunch of various pouches, holsters and knives to attach to the mount points both on the figures and vests.  The figures all have modern Hasbro Joe type articulation with the exception of the chest, these have waist articulation which works better with the web gear and vests.

The gear all seems to fit the mount points, I didn't have anything that had a post too large for any of the holes I tried them on. The tan vest that came with my figure did seem to have holes that were too large, everything kept falling off so I swapped in the extra and stuff fit better.  But everything is pretty loose, especially on the tac vests. It's even mentioned in a letter with the figures that if you're just displaying you'll be fine but if you're going to play with them, you may want to think about gluing stuff on. At least with a water based glue unless you're sure you want to make something permanent.  Getting everything on and arranged was a little finicky but looks good when it's done.

Of the two helmets I've looked at so far, the helmet on the green figure in the pics doesn't fit very well and is loose. The other is solid and I like the look of that type of spec ops helmet.  The vests are really nicely done and I like the number of and positioning of the mount points, you have a lot of options of how to arrange the gear.  Each of the figures have two pouches that will hold magazines but I didn't have any MGR rifles with removable mags to try out...but I'm assuming they're working pouches and that's a solid design choice. The holsters and sheaths all hold the pistols and knives correctly and are pretty stable so the whole assembly will probably fall off before your weapon falls out when posing the figs.

All of the joints on the figures that I've looked over so far work well but do take a couple flexes to limber up. They all seem pretty solid with two exceptions; the hips and knees.  The hips have a socket on the leg side and a post w/ ball on the torso. They're friction fit together and can come apart without damaging anything.  I'm fine with that but the black figure has a really loose right socket on the hip and the leg kinda falls off.  All of the figures have the same knee "issue" in that the plastic insert feels really weak.  You can flex the leg side to side because the plastic is so soft.  It seems to hold up ok with the little moving I've been doing but I'm worried that over time it could break down or I'll snap it not paying close attention or something.

These are definitely geared for collectors and are perfect for customizing by swapping heads, vests and gear or even painting them up. They'll work almost as-is with your Joes but you can also work them into sci-fi stuff and even Star Wars. Some of the parts are really small and easily misplaced if you aren't paying attention. They're not really designed to get on the floor with and play unless you want to get into gluing some stuff in place. 

Overall I'm happy with the figures that I got. I still need to get the grey, red and black figures out and assembled to get a look at the alternate tac vests and helmets with those figs. I was interested in the green as sort of an Aliens Marine figure and red as a Crimson Guard type character for my joes. Not sure yet what the other three will be for or where/how I'll fit them into my collection. They may just end up being generic Joe type figures somewhere.

I would recommend these for anyone that has a use for highly customizable figures in dios and that type of thing. Know what you're getting into with the accessories and you'll have a lot of fun with them I think.