Author Topic: When arcade games were a quarter each...  (Read 4010 times)

SilverZ

Re: When arcade games were a quarter each...
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 03:32 AM »
Used to have a Conan/Kull kind of character

;D Rastan!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 03:33 AM by Tydirium »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 03:50 AM »
Pong! Ha, I still have that at home.  ;D

I used to go to the mall everyday during luch hour to get my fix on arcade games.

Favorite games:

Frogger.
Pacman.
Donkey Kong.
Space Invaders.
Sea Raider.
Centipede.
Missle Command.
Defender.
Asteroids.
Galaxian.
Tail Gunner.
Q*bert.
Zaxxon.
Phoenix.
Luner Lander.
Tempest.
After Burner.
Battlezone.
Galaga.
Star Wars.
Moon Patrol.
Tron.

The game that really killed me was Football. It had that track ball & my hands hurt by the end of the game!  ;D

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 04:38 AM »
Well Dale you are older than me, but I am in the same boat...

- I believe the old home video system for pong, only operated... Pong. One would plug it in and just use the built in dials to move about. A friend my age (Memory insert to figure my age... We collected football cards and they had a color border. It was the year prior to the rookie and only year Earl Campbell had a card. That would be 1978. So the year prior - 1977 and I was a hefty 8 years old and about to be introduced to Star Wars.) had a Combat video system with only Combat built into the console. Atari decided to put out a system that operated cartridges shortly after...

- My neighbor/friend's older brother (at MIT now for about 15 years now) got the first Texas Instruments TV pc. It was a keyboard with a cartridge/disc slot. This was 1979? or so. The guy started programing on it a week after he got it and created his own video games. Think he's a government secret now...

- Played the heck out of another friend's Intellivision (much more advanced than the Atari 2600, but what does that say?). The sports games on that could not be beat.

- My first game for the Atari 2600 (other than the standard Combat) was Pacman. I think my bros and I overheated the console that Christmas day despite Pacman not being anything like the original arcade game. The sounds were high pitched boings and a 'Clukah' sound when you ate the power ball. My mom went into therapy from the sounds of that and the Mattel handhelds we endlessly played.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 11:37 AM »
Some great feedback.  I just finsihed wathcing StarCade on cable with my son.  That gameshow was a trip!  

Thomas,

I have to concur, Elevator Action was one of the best!  Kneel down while going up and blast.

Tydirium,

They make some pretty good collections.  They have Namco Arcade which has Galaga, Pac Man, Dig-Dug and a few others.  The best is the new Midway Arcade Treasures which can be had for $19.99 USD.  It has Tapper, Gauntlet, Super Spint, Defender 1&2, Joust 1&2, Paperboy, just to name a few.  I believe 20 games all together.

For the Gameboy SP Konami Classics cannot be beat.  It has Kung Fu, Frogger, RushNAttack, Time Pilot, Scrammble etc.

DSJ,

Tron was a classic!  The sound in that game was amazing!  It was so state of the art back then.  I can still see myself shooting all those darn spiders.

Thomas,

I lived and breathed Space Invaders on the 2600, and your right Intellivision had the lock on the sports games.  Then came Collecovision.  Anyone remember that?  I remember my friend getting that and the Rocky game.  He then got Zaxon (a classic) then the war game Frontline!  I loved that game, you went up the screen and threw grenades and could get in the tank.  I red and blue guy if I remember correctly.

How about Food Fight, anyone remember that game?

-Fish-

« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 11:41 AM by FishEyedLouie »