Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212447 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #840 on: November 15, 2022, 10:18 AM »
Looking at the past five HasLab projects:

Project  Status
Black Series Reva (The Third Sister) Force FX Elite Lightsaber  FAIL
G.I. Joe Classified Series Cobra H.I.S.S.  Funded!
Marvel Legends HasLab Ghost Rider: Engine of Vengeance  FAIL
HEROSCAPE AGE OF ANNIHILATION: Vanguard Edition  50% with 13 hours left
Transformers Generations HasLab Deathsaurus  81% with 27 days left

That's not exactly a smashing success rate.  Hasbro went 7-for-8 on the first 8 projects (RIP Cookie Monster) but they are tracking to go 4-for-8 on the last 8 projects (RIP Rancor, Reva Saber, Ghost Rider, and probably Heroscape).

Seems like it's time for another Star Wars 3.75" HasLab if you ask me...  Hasbro could use a HasLab win and I could use a Mos Eisley Cantina, Death Star, or Krayt Dragon or something...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 15, 2022, 11:29 AM »
The first HasLabs out of the gate (Cookie Monster aside) were all the gimmes.

This latest wave has been HasLab proving it's worth to Hasbro. Imagine if HasLab didn't exist and they went ahead and did the Ghost Rider Car as a standard release and lost a ton of money on the deal because the value proposition on that one was horrible. They are saving a ton of money throwing these ideas out there  with minimal development involvement and seeing that nothing is sticking.

I don't think they are trying to have a perfect record, they have this minimal-risk option now to see if they can grab a bunch of money, without the years long development and retail risk. I hope they are breathing a sigh of relief when they don't have to ship 20,000 $500 lightsabers on an untested (and ultimately disliked) character at Lucasfilm's insistence, and then only selling 1,000.

There are still a couple 3.75" Star Wars gimmes: If they want something to succeed, the Cantina is there for the making. I'd love to see a Death Star but that is such a dicey proposition, no two fans have the same idea what it should be. The Cantina translates much easier as a massive display/playset.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 15, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Did Ghost Rider even come close?  I wasn't tracking that one.

Sometimes I think they're too insistent on a really high price point when some of their ideas and the execution just isn't worth it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #843 on: November 15, 2022, 12:53 PM »
They are saving a ton of money throwing these ideas out there  with minimal development involvement and seeing that nothing is sticking.

I don't think they are trying to have a perfect record, they have this minimal-risk option now to see if they can grab a bunch of money, without the years long development and retail risk.

See, that is what annoys me.  HasLab should be "fans keep asking for X, how can we do that" not "would you guys buy this if we make it?"  I want HasLab to be a pathway to dream projects, not a free focus group for Hasbro.

HasLab projects should be "gimmies" in the sense that they are things a fan base has been asking for. It should be a chance for collectors to put their money where their mouth is.  "You guys keep saying you want X, but it'll cost $xxx to make it - do you still want it?"  The Sail Barge fit that to a T and seemed like the perfect way to launch HasLab.

3.75" Mos Eisley Cantina or Death Star playsets are excellent candidates to continue that spirit.   Reva's lightsaber or Ghost Rider car were not.

I feel like the Rancor is a great test case of that.  It was totally a "would you guys buy this if we made it?"  It was designed to make Hasbro money, hence the repacks of Jedi Luke and Gammorean.  If it was a "fans keep asking for X, how can we do that" type thing designed for fans, then it would have included 'obvious' figures like 6" Oola and 6" Malakili from the start.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 15, 2022, 01:00 PM »
I feel like the Rancor is a great test case of that.  It was totally a "would you guys buy this if we made it?"  It was designed to make Hasbro money, hence the repacks of Jedi Luke and Gammorean.  If it was a "fans keep asking for X, how can we do that" type thing designed for fans, then it would have included 'obvious' figures like 6" Oola and 6" Malakili from the start.

Spot on. 

If they want it to make gobs of money they should do what they did with Jabba's Palace and make it a commercial release throw in a bunch of worthless doodads and crank up the price.

If they want it to be collector dream projects (and still make money) it needs to be totally focused on fanboy/girl wants without worthless pack-ins.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 01:25 PM by Dave »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 15, 2022, 04:26 PM »
Cantina play set with Tonnika Sisters.

30,000 backers easily.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 15, 2022, 07:34 PM »
Would people be interested in TVC vehicles from concept art? Nothing large; maybe a bundle of 2 or 3 different mid-size ships and figures.

I like what Galoob did with their Phantom Menace Alpha Action Fleet line.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 15, 2022, 10:46 PM »
If it’s McQuarrie concept art, I’d be all about it.  Not so interested in more recent concept stuff.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 16, 2022, 10:06 AM »
Cantina play set with Tonnika Sisters.

30,000 backers easily.

I could see Hasbro releasing the Cantina the same way they're doing the Jabba's / Bib's / Boba's throne room.  I think the longer duration of that sales model would be a better fit for the Cantina.

As for a new Haslab project for Star Wars?  I absolutely agree - it needs to be something that fans are clamoring for.  Or something that they didn't realize that wanted.

The right timing might have saved both the Rancor and the Reva lightsaber.  But then the Rancor rollout was like a case of watching a monkey trying to **** a football.  Hasbro couldn't get out of their own way.  SOMEBODY at Lucasfilm should have told them to wait for 6 months.  And the stretch goals were both uninspired and a clear illustration of how cheap Hasbro has become.

I honestly don't know what Hasbro might consider for a future Haslab campaign.  My own ideas?

THE VINTAGE COLLECTION
-SOLO Millennium Falcon - based on the TLC / TVC BMF Millennium Falcon.  Update the existing Falcon with SOLO deco, some breakaway panels to show the damage incurred during the Kessel Run.  Add the escape pod.  And update the interior to reflect the important spaces seen in SOLO.

-Imperial Lambda class shuttle.  This ship was a star of Return of the Jedi.  But more recently it got some serious play in THE MANDALORIAN.  And while it's been reissued twice in the modern era, the tooling is still straight out of 1983.  The cockpit needs to be completely redone, as does the rest of the interior.

-The Ghost.  This seems like more of a longshot since REBELS is more of a niche than the films or the live action Disney+ shows.  But if it turns up in the AHSOKA series?  That might give it a serious shot.

THE BLACK SERIES
I'm struggling to think of a dream item for The Black Series that might be a fitting offering for a Haslab campaign.  Some people have pitched an X-Wing, but it would be absolutely enormous!

I think if anything, Hasbro might want to look to the action figure photography movement for some kind of a scene / setting that would showcase figures in iconic moments.  Lightsaber duels come to mind for me.

-MUSTAFAR DUEL SCENE - the battle of the heroes scene seems like a possibility.  If it could be the lava river (it should light up) with the bank and the hoverplatform and panning droid?  That plus scene specific versions of Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi would be excellent.  Stretch goals might be Vader in flames, the Emperor, the medical capsule and Shock Troopers.

-DEATH STAR DUEL SCENE - The rematch from ANH.  Vader vs Obi-Wan.  Include Imperial hallways, the blast door, as well as the empty cloak and Obi-Wan's lightsaber. 

-CLOUD CITY DUEL SCENE - the gantry.  Vader vs Luke.  Include scene specific Vader and Luke - Vader's shoulder scorched from where Luke hits him, and Luke beat up.  Include the gantry.  Stretch goal could be a background.

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 16, 2022, 10:50 AM »
To me Ghost is a perfect Haslab candidate.  A big, risky item that fans clearly want and they’d need to secure preorders for to get funding.  Obviously it depends on the production threshold, but I think it would make it’s number pretty easily unless they set it absurdly high.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 16, 2022, 11:15 AM »
Does the Ghost have a TVC crew? Do they come with it?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: November 16, 2022, 11:26 AM »
Does the Ghost have a TVC crew? Do they come with it?

Clearly none of the Ghost crew has been produced in TVC.  But we know that Sabine Wren plays a part in the upcoming AHSOKA series.  And at Star Wars Celebration a teaser trailer for AHSOKA showed a live action Hera Syndulla.  I think she's being played by Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  But whoever plays her, where Hera goes, so goes the Ghost!  I think that both of them are likely to be in TVC for the AHSOKA series.  So that's a first step.  As for the rest of the crew? Well...
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #852 on: November 16, 2022, 11:33 AM »
Imperial Shuttle would be great, and you could make an argument for buying more than one.

There's a seller online that created some modular Ewok village parts, where you could mix and match and create an Ewok village that fits your own display area. I'd love to see Hasbro create some scene builder things like that. Smaller, but with the option to buy many of them to create customized displays. Kind of like the Spacewalls, which were awesome, but pretty much went nowhere once they partnered with Hasbro.

I like the idea of a Haslab Millennium Falcon, but I don't think Solo would get people to jump. But maybe a larger, fully new Millennium Falcon, at the same quality level as the Razor Crest and Khetanna could be an option. I love the Legacy Collection Falcon, but I would back a larger and more detailed Falcon in a heartbeat.

I'm also a big fan of a slightly smaller Haslab that could support army building. An all-new Y-Wing, (more) properly scaled would be a dream come true, and I would buy at least four. It's large, but the back part would be pretty cheap since it's all open. I'd jump at a B-Wing as well.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 16, 2022, 12:05 PM »
To me Ghost is a perfect Haslab candidate.  A big, risky item that fans clearly want and they’d need to secure preorders for to get funding.  Obviously it depends on the production threshold, but I think it would make it’s number pretty easily unless they set it absurdly high.

Bingo.  The Ghost would be perfect for this.

You've already got a TVC Ashoka that you could tweak and card, but then add in Hera, Sabine, and Chopper (maybe Zeb if he is still around too, and I guess ideally we'd see Kanan and Ezra in a TVC style).  You could release slightly different versions of these figures later to the general masses and double dip.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 16, 2022, 09:11 PM »
How about a TIE Defender? Though it would likely lead to some folks buying multiples, then again it might be harder to get the balance right from a value proposition perspective on a smaller ship.

Similar to The Ghost, The Twilight is another option that probably missed its timing from a supporting media point of view.
I am not the Stig