Author Topic: 2014 Saga Legends Basic Figures (Rebels Cardback)  (Read 35549 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2014 Saga Legends Basic Figures (Rebels Cardback)
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 07:02 PM »
I'm in the camp where if it's new (and not too animated looking), I figure I either want it for what it is, or I want it to try and attempt a custom articulation job on it.  I've found some interesting avenues of late for adding articulation with relatively minimal effort, skill, and having it function without issues like paint flaking and joints falling apart...  If I can do that, and get some very basic stuff out of a figure (knees and elbows, wrists as well), then I'm pretty content with the figure for what it is.

Like you though, articulation keeps me from ALL the other figures.  I may get Hoth Luke for the head though.  A goggle-less hoth hat is interesting to me.  Weird thought I know.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Han Solo's boots aren't painted above the ankle. LOL.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 11:39 PM »
Grabbed a Gree at Target...  Weird seeing these 5POA Clone Wars figures, yet done in a realistic style to aim more at collectors and fit in with the line overall...  Just odd.  Oh and even more odd is having the bandolier as a separately sculpted piece.  Why?  Not that I'm complaining.  It's just odd.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with Gree for what he is...  I plan to adjust him some so he's more poseable but he's not bad as-is.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 4, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I grabbed a mintier carded Gree tonight, to replace the busted up one I got previously. Not sure I want to open the spare since I have the original CW figure laying around loose already. Maybe good custom fodder though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: March 6, 2015, 09:27 AM »
For those keeping track, in the last two weeks, Wave 1 started hitting Walmart, Wave 2 is hitting Target, and now Wave 3 is IN-STOCK at EE...

Case of 12

Set of 6

Also saw some reports of them popping up (on the expensive side) at Amazon as well.

Are the floodgates finally opening?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 6, 2015, 11:36 AM »
So I finally saw the Saga Legends Commander Gree as well as the SL AT-AT Driver in the wild yesterday.  And it was kind of a disappointing situation.  We already had a Clone Wars Gree in the same armor deco, and there have been some pretty cool AT-AT Drivers offered since about 2009.  So when I saw these figures (with 5 POA) this sense of 'MEH' just washed over me.  I can get behind a figure like the Jedi Temple Guard since that's an all new character that has never made into a figure before.  But these 5 POA offerings of characters that have been previously offered in versions with super articulation and great sculpting really fall flat for me.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #21 on: March 6, 2015, 03:30 PM »
I definitely agree with some figures it's a case of why bother. Gree, yep. The Skiff Guard Lando, yep. I still like the 2004 version! The AT-At Driver though I was surprised how much I liked it. I wasn't a huge fan of the last version and this one seems to me the best sculpt of him we've gotten, though previous versions have much better paint apps.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 6, 2015, 04:37 PM »
But these 5 POA offerings of characters that have been previously offered in versions with super articulation and great sculpting really fall flat for me.

That's my feeling.  Didn't I just buy these 20 years ago.  True, it's stretching things with their He-Man likenesses, but some were actually pretty good pre-Phantom Menace.  It's amazing when Hasbro is offering up things that we've already bought (and some have sold off these 5 PoA figures since they own the better version) and are now re-buying the 5 PoA figure again in this line.  Can't complain about Hasbro since they are making money again off figures we already own.

Now, if Hasbro wanted to use this line and offer up Astromechs (new, never been done along with R2 and others), Podracers, Imperial Dignitaries, etc and use TBS (or whatever the premium 4" line will be called) for figures that need to have more than 5 PoA then that would be great.  Do I see it happening?  No.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: March 9, 2015, 02:52 AM »
I look at Gree as a new figure...  Realistic style Phase I Gree was never made till this one.  Like realistic styled Rex was new, and thankfully getting a better version too.

Realistic Gree I sucked it up and bought to replace joints, more or less, where I am able.

If they did other Clones from the toon, like Phase I Cody or Bly, I'd buy in I'm sure.  Same with an Echo or Fives or anyone else really.

While I agree on some of the character choices, ultimately this line isn't for collectors and is more kid-targeted, so as gateway figures it's a must to have the mains out there for the kids.  If some collectors jump on along the way, more the better for Hasbro ultimately, right?

I think at the end of the day, every line they make, they want to have some kid appeal to it, but the collector lines in TBS are going to give that extra umph to get collectors to buy and be (relatively speaking) content (almost hard to type that without cracking up).  So with TBS you'll have your Vaders here and there, but you'll have your scene-specific Vader with slight upgrades or changes, you'll get your upgrades, you'll get your random Mosep or Toryn Farr...  Legends so far has been pretty vanilla stuff comparatively speaking.  Even Bounty Hunters fall into that category of not so obscure that kids don't know who they are and dig them.  Notice IG-88 and Bossk rolled out, but not Dengar.  Dengar...  no love in any line from kiddies. :)

Either way, Legends has some things I'm into here and there...  Just not very much.  I was actually pretty happy to get Gree, in a way, but kinda disappointed too.  It was a real catch 22 getting a figure I wanted, but he's only 5 POA.  He'll take some work but I can make him cool.  Others, like making a cool AT-DP Driver, are going to be a lot more work if I want him accurate.  And the JT Guard?  He's pretty much a figure I'll buy for pieces to cast, and try an almost ground-up custom that makes me happy.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 10:24 AM »
 A bunch of the Wave 6/7 Saga LEgends figures have been popping up on Amazon.com for $8.99 each. 

As of this post, X-Wing Luke, Skiff Lando, Endor Han are all in stock at the $8.99 price... 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 12:58 AM »
Got my Legends Bespin Han today.  The Kenner nostalgia of these 5POA figs is much more effective onme for a figure like this where the Kenner version was in my top five favorites as a kid. :)

The fact that they are now trying to work functional holsters onto the figures is greatly appreciated.  Makes me wish even more that the Mission Series ANH Han had been given a holster. :-\

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 11:11 AM »
I literally just nabbed Endor, Luke, Han and Leia as well as X-Wing Luke, Bespin Han and Lando from HTS.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 12:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  Grabbed a couple Endor Hans for my Han collection.

Don't forget to use Family2015 at HasbroToyShop to get 20% off and free shipping (through 3/20)!  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:39 PM by Jeff »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Picked up han bespin from target today
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 02:24 AM »
Picked up Bespin Han, Skiff Lando, and X-Wing Luke from WM today. Kinda disappointed Lando's helmet is glued in place. Dang near tore the head off before seeing the glue.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk