Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41143 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Kenobi (Disney+) - (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2022, 09:15 AM »
The twist was predictable, though.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2022, 09:18 AM »
I'm not sure it was predictable as much as they hint/told us it was going to happen.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2022, 09:33 AM »
Not to get spoilery yet, but it looks like they closed a plot hole the usual suspects were complaining about.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2022, 10:00 AM »
They found a really great way to keep little Leia out of the action scenes, which would have made it clunky. Really great episode. I watched it twice (once with my wife and again with my wife and the kids) and then we all watched the last 10-ish minutes again. You know the part I'm talking about.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 16, 2022, 10:14 AM »
I'm not sure it was predictable as much as they hint/told us it was going to happen.

There was more to it.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 16, 2022, 11:10 AM »
The flashback certainly added some context to one particular scene in the prequels, and the friction between Anakin and Obi-Wan at that time.  And the concept of scenes and interactions rhyming through the years got played out in a single episode of the series.

It was great to get some payoff to the opening scene of the series, along with the revelation from the second episode, where Obi-Wan learned that Anakin survived.  The final act of this episode tied all of that up, along with Reva's deeper motivations.  The way it showed just how powerful Vader has become was stunning, and it illustrated why those around Vader feared him so much.

I think the tag of the episode and something from the 4th chapter of the series also show that one character is not out of commission just yet.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Over in the Obi-Wan Wednesday thread I didn't realize that the whole 4-LOM vs 1-JAC thing was such A THING.

I'm still pretty happy to see callbacks like this to the OT, especially the bounty hunters.  IIRC, the Legends backstory for 4-LOM was that the droid had been a protocol droid that was somehow re-programmed and became a bounty hunter, and partnered up with Zuckuss.

There are some distinct differences between the two droids - the differing weapons, and the holsters and bandolier on 1-JAC.  The idea of this model of droid being a "Bounty Droid", as Din Djarin referred to IG-11, seems to expand the world of Star Wars a bit.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:01 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2022, 02:30 PM »
Over in the Obi-Wan Wednesday thread I didn't realize that the whole 4-LOM vs 1-JAC thing was such A THING.

I'm still pretty happy to see callbacks like this to the OT, especially the bounty hunters.  IIRC, the Legends backstory for 4-LOM was that the droid had been a protocol droid that was somehow re-programmed and became a bounty hunter, and partnered up with Zuckuss.

There are some distinct differences between the two droids - the differing weapons, and the holsters and bandolier on 1-JAC.  The idea of this model of droid being a "Bounty Droid", as Din Djarin referred to IG-11, seems to expand the world of Star Wars a bit.

Yeah I like the idea that there were hunter droids and bounty hunting was constantly being automated. It makes the idea that the organic bounty hunters had to be that much better because someone was always looking to come up with a cheaper option using droids.

To be honest, I was never really a big fan of 4-LOM's backstory, and I thought IG-88's backstory was absolute, unsalvageable ****.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:31 PM by Mister Skeezler »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2022, 03:35 PM »

Yeah I like the idea that there were hunter droids and bounty hunting was constantly being automated. It makes the idea that the organic bounty hunters had to be that much better because someone was always looking to come up with a cheaper option using droids.

To be honest, I was never really a big fan of 4-LOM's backstory, and I thought IG-88's backstory was absolute, unsalvageable ****.

I think the bit in bold font could be said for A LOT of the old Legends material!  Especially this fascination with the unending number of character names that were chocked full of apostrophes.

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 17, 2022, 10:30 AM »
Agreed!

And the biggest offender for me: the Yuzhan Vong. Not everyone will agree with me, but I'll go to my grave saying that whoever created the Yuzhan Vong concept can go eat a Yuzhan Dong.

Let's also not forget that the official name for the cantina music was "**** music." Who the hell let that through?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 17, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I just learned that the character Tetha Grig, the woman who was trying to sell Obi-Wan spice on Daiyu, is Esther-Rose McGregor, Ewan's daughter.  Kind of funny that she tells him she was once someone's daughter before she ended up on Daiyu.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2022, 11:43 AM »
Overall I really liked the episode with the flashbacks, the action, the twists.

I don’t know how much of the Anakin/Obi-Wan flashbacks duels were deep fake and how much were actually filmed, but it looked pretty good.

The only thing that I’ve really got a gripe with is people surviving being run through with a lightsaber.  Qui-Gon died in seconds, and that is the way it should be.  The Grand Inquisitor and Reva should both be dead.  If the writers want to be twisty and have people survive battles, they should survive a blaster shot or an explosion.

Or if its common to survive a lightsaber stabbing, then the wielders should slice and cause more damage.  Just kinda dumb.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2022, 12:30 PM »
Wouldn't being run through with a lightsaber be just like taking a bullet? Depends on what it hits on way through? I agree therefore after 1st "stab" you should go in for 2nd, 5ths, Xths.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2022, 07:06 PM »
I haven't gone back and rewatched it, but did Vader skewer her with both of her lightsabers or was it just with one?  If he used both, I was thinking he might reuse his Dooku method of splitting her in half... but Reva still has a role to play so that wouldn't work.

I agree therefore after 1st "stab" you should go in for 2nd, 5ths, Xths.

Especially, considering it was Vader who embraces his anger, you'd think he'd have gone for those 2nds, 5ths, etc.  At least until he was satisfied.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2022, 07:34 PM »
Vader didn't finish her because to do so would have been a mercy, and mercy isn't the way of the sith. Reva has spent her whole life plotting revenge against him, and she just took her only shot, only to discover Vader knew the entire time who she was and what she was planning. He then proceeded to utterly humiliate her, showing her with no shadow of a doubt that she never stood a chance and never will, not even considering her enough of a threat to bother drawing his own lightsaber against her. Now he's left her gravely, but not fatally wounded, utterly beaten, and denied the only thing she truly wants. Just like him. Now she has to live knowing not only did she fail, but she will never succeed, she will never have what she wants most, because she never was, and never will be powerful enough to take him on. She has to live with that now. Just like him. She has nothing left now, her thirst for vengeance will never be satiated. All she has now is her hate, and by letting her live, it will consume her. Killing her  would have been putting her out of her misery, and that isn't a very Sith thing to do. Letting her live and abandoning her there is the cruelest thing he could have done to her.