Author Topic: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)  (Read 212413 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (SPOILERS)
« Reply #270 on: December 26, 2019, 02:19 AM »
Finn said to Poe I think “they’re rising up all over the galaxy” so the FO ships falling were, to me, just that galactic-wide shot of the galaxy standing up to the Empire like Lucas added to the SEs and I don’t even feel it’s all happening in sync (like in the SEs) but just showing it happening for finality’s sake and some nostalgia.

I really am shocked how many people missed Han’s “I Know”.  I was already a mess then that?  Good lord.  It was one of the best scenes, all the films, hands down.  Definitely two of the best actors the saga ever saw. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 26, 2019, 02:49 PM »
Saw it again today in IMAX which was kick ass...

Night one didn’t hit me as hard emotionally as this viewing did...Han and Leia saving their son and his redemption was so perfectly done I love how all of that played out

I literally had tears in my eyes from the Death Star duel on...And stuff I liked night one I liked even more

John Williams absolutely nailed the score on this...the notes being played during Rey and Rens fight on the Death Star was amazing...as was the main theme swelling as the fleet of nobody’s show up

I still don’t get the First Order ships falling from the sky on Endor and Bespin

My boys and I were talking on the way home, with the Sith gone and Rey and Finn allowed to rebuild the Jedi Order how are they going to set up the new Big Bad(s)?   Yuuzahn Vong type of threat from outside the Galaxy?  I can’t believe this is the end of their stories...and so want to know where they think what they can dream up next.

Just back from my second viewing.

On Endor someone had Holdo-ed through the destroyer there. Someone else commented that local uprisings may have happened in-system in addition to the peoples fleet arriving at Exogol.

The Ghost is present in the party landing for the final celebration. Though, Im surprised we didn't at least see Hera in person.

I think I'm now totally onboard with Palpatine coming back. He's such a bastard it sounds like something he would do. Also, Dark Empire is now almost 30 years old. A resurrected Palpatine and a creepy Sith facility are justa standard part of EU storytelling. Plus... Palpatine-on-a-stick  is cool and creepy. However, I can admit thought that Snoke planning to kill Rey is hard to retcon into this story.
Macklunkey!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 26, 2019, 11:28 PM »
Had my second viewing tonight. Definitely easier to follow on second viewing. And I can't stop feeling sorry for the people who have gone out of their way to not enjoy this trilogy on any level. They missed out. Oh well.

Oh and some ass hat douche bag yelled "penis" as Leia died.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #273 on: December 27, 2019, 01:04 AM »
****heads are everywhere man. 

I had someone make some audible effort to disrupt the one viewing I went to when Rey’s lineage was revealed finally.  Could tell he was going out of his way to I guess make the theater get on board with his revolt. 

I had one viewing of audible happiness and clapping on the first night and on the Sunday viewing is when the dude was being a chode about things.  It was weird.  The general reaction on social media is weird too.  I don’t fault folks not liking something, I mean hey, different strokes and all that.  But it’s kinda funny the anti ROS people I’m seeing are generally vehemently pro TLJ... which I was and am too.  And I just don’t see ROS as being somehow derogatory to TLJ.  If anything I felt JJ wanted to do his thing but worked kinda hard to still honor TLJ without still compromising things he didn’t maybe agree with in a humorous way (a Jedi’s weapon deserves more respect, for instance).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 27, 2019, 08:40 PM »
Does anyone recommend IMAX 3D over standard 3D for ROS? I saw it once already in 3D on a mediocre screen. I have an option of seeing this again tomorrow at a convenient time on IMAX or at a less convenient time in IMAX 3D.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Macklunkey!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #275 on: December 27, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Personally, I'd go with IMAX 2D over 3D....just because there's so much going on in several scenes that the #D could be really distracting.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 28, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Personally, I'd go with IMAX 2D over 3D....just because there's so much going on in several scenes that the #D could be really distracting.

Well I just tried the AMC imax.  As of now I can't tell a difference between that and the AMC Dolby screen right next to it.

Does it seem like Vader's helmet does anything in this trilogy? I'm assuming Palpatine was telling us that he "showed the darkness" to Kylo in what was assumed to be Vader. Kylo touches the helmet to try and mess with Rey while she's running the training course, but I assume the result is nothing more than the dyad connecting them. I aways felt weird about the idea of the helmet having any dark energy given Vader redeemed himself. When people say that Palpatine's return messes up Vader's sacrifice... I feel the helmet corrupting his grandson would have been exactly that. I don't agree that Palpatine returning affects Vader. Palpatine is an evil old **** and evil is as evil does. He returned in Dark empire and he returned here. If he had means to do so he would return.

I do like the idea of someone getting to surprise Palpatine twice only to have the second surprise backfire. The first surprise is the ability to transfer the saber from Rey to Ben. I appreciated the little slight of hand trick she does. The backfire surprise is that the life force of the two is enough to regenerate him, which it appears he did not anticipate.

Also, captain Sidon Ithano is present for the celebration at the end. He is listed in the visual dictionary  but it wasn't clear to me that was the connection. I'm hoping his ship the Meson Martinet is visible somewhere. Wookiepedia also claims that Quiggold is in ROS or maybe on set at least.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 06:47 PM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 30, 2019, 01:34 PM »
I took some time and cracked open all my ROTS 3.75" and 6" figures, and there really aren't too many of them.

I'm not sure if the Sith Troopers were originally going to have a larger role, but I got a little annoyed opening these figures (got the deluxe versions) with all their extra weird weapons (?).  I'm the sucker for paying the extra cash, but as far as I can tell none of these extra weapons were in the movie in any way.

The figures themselves were great, but if you haven't already bought them I would opt for the cheaper, non accessorized versions.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 1, 2020, 05:53 PM »
Did I miss where Rey built her own lightsaber?  Was it in a book or cartoon or something else?  I don't remember that ever being discussed/shown, so when she ignites it at the end it surprised the hell out of me.  If it is the first time it's revealed, it seems like it a weird time to do it...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 1, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Did I miss where Rey built her own lightsaber?  Was it in a book or cartoon or something else?  I don't remember that ever being discussed/shown, so when she ignites it at the end it surprised the hell out of me.  If it is the first time it's revealed, it seems like it a weird time to do it...

Why was that weird?  It seemed pretty straightforward that she built it between the time that the war ended and the time she got around to burying the sabers for Luke and Leia?  I thought that was a fitting move to show that the Jedi Order is reborn, and that she's completed her training. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #280 on: January 1, 2020, 06:53 PM »
Agreed with Rob, I liked it and that it appeared she built it out of her staff to boot.  I felt it was sort of a metaphor to say she was returning Luke and Leia’s sabres to their “home” of sorts, even though they were really hers by right, and she was going to make hers and be her own person.  Names aren’t defining things and she can be who she wants and chooses to be.  I felt the sabre was just one more part of that theme that I found important.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 1, 2020, 07:27 PM »
I agree with Rob and Jesse. And of course love that theme as it says so under my avatar. Yay Iron Giant
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 2, 2020, 09:33 AM »
Count me in as someone who likes the way the situation with all of the lightsabers played out.

-Rey re-forging the Skywalker legacy lightsaber gave a nice sense of continuity from the previous two films.  The leather band around the damaged section seems in keeping with Rey's scavenger background

-The fate of the Kylo Ren lightsaber was incredibly well thought out.  Rey used that weapon to end Kylo Ren and then healed Ben Solo.  And the following sequence with Ben reliving his last moments with his father on Starkiller base?  It was an amazing mirror image of how that scene played out in TFA.  And then handling of the lightsaber, and to toss it away?  I was genuinely surprised and touched by the way it played out.  And I can't express enough how much I like the way both Harrison Ford and Adam Driver played it out.

-Leia's lightsaber was a revelation that I didn't realize we would see.  Her own status as Rey's teacher at the beginning of the movie cemented the idea that she had been taught by Luke following the events of ROTJ, but until that point had not really devoted her efforts to being a Jedi.  But as events demanded, Leia rose to the occasion.  When Luke led Rey to the lightsaber on Ahch-To, I thought that it might have been his lightsaber from ROTJ.  To see that it was Leia's?  That was eye opening.  And for Rey to use it at the end of the movie was very fitting.

-Ben using the Skywalker legacy lightsaber seemed equally fitting.  Although the way he got it in time to fight the Knights of Ren was somewhat puzzling.  Did Rey get it to Ben through a telekinetic throw, or was it a situation like earlier in the film, when Kylo Ren snatched the necklace from Rey through their Force link?

-I liked how Rey was able to use both lightsabers to deflect the Force lightning.  It harkened back to how Mace Windu came so close to defeating Palpatine in ROTS by deflecting his own power back at him.

-Rey's new lightsaber was a great point to get to.  Again, it was a reminder of Rey's history as a scavenger.  It was linkage to Rey's staff which had been the source of so much fan conjecture (anyone else remember the whole theory that it must have been Darth Plagueis's staff?), but was really just a big part of her identity and life on Jakku.  For the blade to be yellow?  The history of fans *thinking* there were yellow lightsabers back to the OT era because of some of the toys.  The Jedi Temple guards also had yellow lightsabers during the Clone Wars era.  So why shouldn't Rey?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #283 on: January 2, 2020, 10:31 AM »

-Ben using the Skywalker legacy lightsaber seemed equally fitting.  Although the way he got it in time to fight the Knights of Ren was somewhat puzzling.  Did Rey get it to Ben through a telekinetic throw, or was it a situation like earlier in the film, when Kylo Ren snatched the necklace from Rey through their Force link?

They definitely set up through the film that the way there bond worked, they were able to interact physically, like Vader's helmet showing up on Kejimi and the fact that they were able to duel at all!

-Rey's new lightsaber was a great point to get to.  Again, it was a reminder of Rey's history as a scavenger.  It was linkage to Rey's staff which had been the source of so much fan conjecture (anyone else remember the whole theory that it must have been Darth Plagueis's staff?), but was really just a big part of her identity and life on Jakku.  For the blade to be yellow?  The history of fans *thinking* there were yellow lightsabers back to the OT era because of some of the toys.  The Jedi Temple guards also had yellow lightsabers during the Clone Wars era.  So why shouldn't Rey?

I really liked how she made her own lightsaber...I now need an FX version of that saber and I want it to turn on the same way!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 2, 2020, 04:07 PM »
I'm nerding out on the ships in the Allied Peoples Fleet (as I am calling it). I’m trying to ID Sidon Ithano’ s Meson Martinet based on the unaffiliated characters listed in the Visual Dictionary. The Martinet is a subject of confusion from various sources, which is noted on wookiepedia. The only full image of the ship was from the Lego game, which may or may not be official.

I’ve noted a few others from the visual dictionary that fly the type of ships pictured. Does anyone recognize the three mystery ships circled in orange, light green, and light blue? I selected those as candidates for the Meson Martinet.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2020, 10:38 PM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!