Author Topic: Target 2023 Retro Collection Multi-Color The Mandalorian  (Read 723 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Target 2023 Retro Collection Multi-Color The Mandalorian
« on: October 20, 2022, 09:16 AM »
Might as well start a thread for this one too...  latest intel from Jayson/Yakface indicates yet another multi-color monstrosity is coming to Target...

"It looks like the Target exclusive Retro Collection (Prototype Edition) series will continue on into 2023. Like the school codes before it (“Chalk“, “Blackboard“, “Eraser” and “Sharpener“), “Lowercase” continues the theme and has a price point of $14.99. Question is, who will it be? I think Leia is about due for the subline as we’ve gotten 3 villains and 2 heroes, and no female characters thus far, but I guess we’ll see when it’s officially revealed."
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Target 2023 Retro Collection Multi-Color The Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2023, 12:25 AM »
Starting up some threads from today's reveals - Proto-Mando.

STAR WARS: RETRO COLLECTION THE MANDALORIAN PROTOTYPE
(HASBRO/Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: $14.99/Available: Spring 2023)

Inspired by the original 1970s Kenner STAR WARS action figures, this STAR WARS: RETRO COLLECTION 3.75 INCH THE MANDALORIAN PROTOTYPE Edition Figure features premium design and five points of articulation. This figure’s vibrant, multi-colored prototype deco will surely add a bright pop of color to any fan’s STAR WARS collection. The Mandalorian is battle-worn and tight-lipped, a formidable bounty hunter in an increasingly dangerous galaxy. Beautifully rendered retro packaging captures a colorful pop art style and includes throwback STAR WARS branding and a Kenner Toys logo. Imagine the excitement of the ‘70s when the STAR WARS original trilogy had just begun. Includes figure and 2 accessories.

Available this Spring exclusively at Target.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Only $2 less than a fully articulated figure with tons of paint apps!

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 2, 2023, 01:40 PM »
But you get a cool grey cape and blasters in the retro blue plastic.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 2, 2023, 03:41 PM »
I'm officially done with these.  It was fun at first, but now it doesn't look like it will ever end.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2023, 06:55 AM »
I have been seeing several FB posts about a UK company getting these figures and people receiving them.  I'm wondering when they will finally show up at Target.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2023, 09:47 AM »
I hope they end up on clearance like the Snowspeeder Luke did and this is the last one of these they do.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2023, 06:36 AM »
I will be quite happy if they stop making these as well.  The Vader was one thing, it actually had roots in vintage Kenner.  The X-wing Luke was a bit much.  That was an "original" figure for the retro line and shouldn't have had a prototype version.  Same for the Mando figure.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 6, 2023, 09:49 AM »
It’s the six variants that I hate.  They know what they’re doing, it’s cynical beyond the usual re-using molds stuff.  Collect-em-all types like me buy them anyway because after 27 years I’m not going to have the collection not be complete over this… they’re starting to take up a ton of space on the shelves in a way that looks stupid…

There is virtually no added cost to repurposing these as prototypes and they cast them six ways to drive sales… it’s all profit, and the prices have gone up 50% to 80% depending on what your store charged for Luke. 

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 6, 2023, 02:55 PM »
I may be the lone person who enjoys these.

I'm imagining the Hasbro employee who says we should stop making these because I feel bad for the "obligated" collectors. Probably don't work there anymore.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2023, 06:33 AM »
I much prefer new figures like the coming Book of Boba Fett wave (more or less, Mando won't be much different) or something like the Tarkin figure.  I was hoping they would do something for ROTJ along those lines.  Overall, I would just prefer things to be more accessible.  I think the Snowspeeder Luke and Chewie are the only two I haven't had to go to the secondary market for.  All the normal waves I have gotten from on-line retailers.  I'm not really enjoying this whole no preorder thing from Hasbro.  However, I did get the retro Indy wave from Pulse and it was nice to receive something shortly after placing an order.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 07:48 PM »
https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-mandalorian-retro-collection-prototype-edition-action-figure/-/A-87046825

None in my area, and it is saying sold out for shipped orders, but hopefully they show up on-line here soon.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 08:37 AM »
https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-mandalorian-retro-collection-prototype-edition-action-figure/-/A-87046825

Finally in stock for ordering.  Limit of 2 again.  Glad they got them.

Target has changed things up in my area.  They have a Disney section at the end of the toy aisle with all of their properties so finding Star Wars wasn't easy.  They had a single empty peg for the Retro Mando figure but it was labeled something different, can't quite recall what it said, but had the Mando DPCI.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 10:39 AM »
Were you ordering from your local store for pickup or online?  I did an online order and it let me buy six of them.

Hoping to trade / exchange duplicates in store for ones I don’t get like I did with Luke.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 10:40 AM by Rob »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2023, 06:22 AM »
I did a ship to my home option.  No stock within 50 miles of my location.