Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi's original fate in ANH revealed  (Read 9937 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Obi-Wan Kenobi's original fate in ANH revealed
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Veteran Star Wars actor Peter Mayhew, the man behind Chewbacca, has tweeted some pages from the original script for Star Wars.  Those pages depict a very different version of Obi-Wan Kenobi's confrontation with Darth Vader on the Death Star.  It's very difficult to imagine Obi-Wan escaping from his duel with Vader, and escaping aboard the Millennium Falcon.  His survival would have reshaped much of the saga without him becoming one with The Force, and he likely would have served in the capacity of Luke's Jedi Master in TESB had the script not been changed to what we saw in ANH.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi's original fate in ANH revealed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:53 PM »
It's not difficult to imagine after the prequels. They can go that route in the remake.

Kenobi realizes he lacks the ability to train Luke to his true potential and fears him falling to the dark side, so off to Dagobah they go or just Luke alone. So what does Kenobi do the rest of ESB...is he with the Rebel fleet or in the Falcon? If he's at Cloud City that gets another Vader/Kenobi reunion. So maybe he's not there. 

ROTJ, Luke confronts Obi-Wan about his dad. So no Yoda scene? What does he do the rest of the movie. Hmmm....

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 01:21 AM »
You have to look at that through the lense of:

-At the time, Darth Vader was not Luke's father.

-There was no Yoda.

Both of those concepts were created when they were writing Empire Strikes Back.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:45 AM »
Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo caught wind of the Peter Mayhew tweet and expanded upon the issue.  Obi-Wan's survival was something that was in the early drafts, but left a number of things hanging.  It had the effect of diminishing the power of both the Empire as well as Darth Vader.   Check out his tweet here which shows some excerpts from the J.W. Rinzler book "Making Star Wars":

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/721241149915013126

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 11:47 AM »
Obi-Wan not dying in original versions of the Star Wars script is not new news.

I recall at least reading it here http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Annotated-Screenplays/dp/0345409817 nearly 20 years ago...and something tells me it wasn't new information even then.

Funny to read the replying tweets to Mayhew's "shocking" revelation though.

Boy am I a bitter old man.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19 PM »
I thought I was going crazy when I read this "news" too as I thought this was fairly well known for years.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 11:20 PM »
I'd thought I'd heard for years that Guinness wanted Kenobi killed off. Is that part true? He seemed to think Star Wars was silly rubbish even while making it.

But then he kept cashing in and appeared a ghost anyway.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:21 PM by Scockery »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I still love the fact that Alec Guinness got 2.25% of the Star Wars profits and ended up getting $50-75 million for something he thought was rubbish.  Far more than Harrison Ford's $35 million take for E7.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Obi-Wan not dying in original versions of the Star Wars script is not new news.

I recall at least reading it here http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Annotated-Screenplays/dp/0345409817 nearly 20 years ago...and something tells me it wasn't new information even then.

Funny to read the replying tweets to Mayhew's "shocking" revelation though.

Boy am I a bitter old man.

I think it's a cool bit of trivia.  And frankly, had things happened as they were originally written, would we really consider Darth Vader to be anywhere near as threatening of a villain had he just let Obi-Wan escape?  Clearly this was an instance where the re-write improved the story dramatically.  And seeing how that took shape is an interesting glimpse into how the creative process evolves through editing the script.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 11:32 AM »
I just like the fact that Star Wars (movies) is okay with killing key characters, both good and bad.  I would find it pretty annoying if there were lots of lightsaber battles and everyone just walked away to fight another day.  That is my probably why I've never gotten in to the super hero movies as they're all essentially immortal.

If only the comics, and the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons would follow this rule.  Maul is a cool character, but he should have stayed dead on Naboo.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 06:26 PM »
I think it's a cool bit of trivia.  And frankly, had things happened as they were originally written, would we really consider Darth Vader to be anywhere near as threatening of a villain had he just let Obi-Wan escape?  Clearly this was an instance where the re-write improved the story dramatically.

I'd play devil's advocate and really sink my teeth into the scene, here...because I think it could have used another rewrite if the point was to add menace to Darth Vader and the whole Death Star encounter as Lucas explained it.

Vader doesn't win the duel. Ben stands there in a non-defensive position while Vader swings his lightsaber to cut him down. But, before he connects, Ben Kenobi "disappears." Then we hear Ben's disembodied voice instructing Luke to run 2 seconds later. It is clear to the audience Ben didn't die in the commonly understood sense.

The last we see of Vader during the escape he is stomping on Ben's empty clothes cluelessly. He clearly has no idea what is going on, and certainly doesn't feel victorious. He looks like a chump.

Ben sacrifices his corporeal body in a tactic to keep Vader and the stormtroopers occupied while the kids escape. More weight could have been given to his death had it been written so he was trying to win the duel and had been overwhelmed by the stormtroopers joining the fight. But that's not what happened. He pulled a Jedi magic trick that never even looked like he got cut down (except to Luke, who grieves for him on the Falcon for a couple seconds before the TIE battle.)

It is a better story point than Ben making it back to the Falcon as if he had just been toying with Vader. It does take care of his uselessness for the rest of the movie (and led to the introduction of Yoda in ESB, which was a great character and great concept in and of itself.) But I can't honestly say I ever felt Vader won the duel.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Marvel showed what really happened. (I remember seeing this as a kid, finding it strange...)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 06:28 AM »
I think it's a cool bit of trivia.  And frankly, had things happened as they were originally written, would we really consider Darth Vader to be anywhere near as threatening of a villain had he just let Obi-Wan escape?  Clearly this was an instance where the re-write improved the story dramatically.

I'd play devil's advocate and really sink my teeth into the scene, here...because I think it could have used another rewrite if the point was to add menace to Darth Vader and the whole Death Star encounter as Lucas explained it.

Vader doesn't win the duel. Ben stands there in a non-defensive position while Vader swings his lightsaber to cut him down. But, before he connects, Ben Kenobi "disappears." Then we hear Ben's disembodied voice instructing Luke to run 2 seconds later. It is clear to the audience Ben didn't die in the commonly understood sense.

The last we see of Vader during the escape he is stomping on Ben's empty clothes cluelessly. He clearly has no idea what is going on, and certainly doesn't feel victorious. He looks like a chump.

Ben sacrifices his corporeal body in a tactic to keep Vader and the stormtroopers occupied while the kids escape. More weight could have been given to his death had it been written so he was trying to win the duel and had been overwhelmed by the stormtroopers joining the fight. But that's not what happened. He pulled a Jedi magic trick that never even looked like he got cut down (except to Luke, who grieves for him on the Falcon for a couple seconds before the TIE battle.)

It is a better story point than Ben making it back to the Falcon as if he had just been toying with Vader. It does take care of his uselessness for the rest of the movie (and led to the introduction of Yoda in ESB, which was a great character and great concept in and of itself.) But I can't honestly say I ever felt Vader won the duel.

The way you've analyzed this is very much from a standpoint of hindsight.  But put yourself in that theater seeing the film for the first time.  Because the scene plays out quite differently when you look at it from the standpoint of a fresh viewer who doesn't know that Obi-Wan has been studying the Force, and how to maintain his identity.

As for the duel?  Ben is having a hard time holding his own.  Both he and Vader are not in top dueling form, and Ben has largely been on the defensive while Vader has been the aggressor.  The only indication we have that the duel is taking a toll on Vader is that his rate of breathing has increased.  Then he sees Luke and the others trying to escape.  He knows that giving himself up and the distraction that may cause Vader might be the only way to ensure that Luke and Leia can escape.

When Vader strikes Ben down?  To the audience it comes across as a cold-blooded murder.  Ben stands there defenseless, having given himself up.  It makes Vader seem that much more sinister to the audience to have killed an opponent who has effectively surrendered.  While there's clearly more to the story, we're talking about audience perception in the moment.  We don't know until much later that Vader played into Obi-Wan's hands, and that Obi-Wan had been preparing himself for a moment like that for nearly 20 years.

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 06:56 AM »
I never had the impression that Ben was surrendering to Vader.  Doesn't he look over at Luke, then smirk at Vader, then lift his lightsaber straight up and close his eyes?  I think it is clear Ben made a sacrifice vs. Vader "murdering" a defenseless old man.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 11:24 AM »
It's both a sacrifice AND a murder. 

...from a certain point of view.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:45 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback