Author Topic: Revelations  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Revelations
« on: April 13, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Revelations is a new show on NBC, about a Scientist and a Nun who are about to investigate the signs of the end of the world, as they are occouring very rapidly. The Scientists daughter was killed in a Satanic ritual, and the nun lost her sister in a ritual suicide.

I'm curious as to how this will all play out.

Revelation is my favorite book in the Bible, so I want to see how this plays out in tune to the good book.

Any one else catch the season premere?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Revelations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01 AM »
I saw it. I don't think I'm going to get into it too deeply, as I could see this turning into a religious debate. However, I really do think they took advantage—unfairly—of the Terri Shiavo case. And I question what agenda the production company (Pariah) has with this miniseries.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 01:18 PM »
I think this show was shot and writen before the Terrie Schaivo case became mainstream, so to speak. I could be wrong.

Kevin

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 01:48 PM »
Well, that may be true, but the Terri Shiavo case has been going on for quite awhile. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing about it over a year ago.

There were a couple things I thought were a little ho-hum about the show...though I will probably watch the second part. I thought the anti-christ guy was creepy as hell. The baby coming out of the sea in Greece is kind of cool. Reminds me of how many things about the bible are taken from Greek mythology.

The problem is, when you're doing a movie about the end of the world, the ending will usually be either great or very cheezy.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 03:19 PM »
I watched it... and really enjoyed it.  I actually got my wife to watch it too instead of American Idol.   :o

I am glad to see a religious movie being shown on one of the networks.  Seems the mainstream media has become very anti-Christian lately.

:P

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 07:18 PM »
I dunno, after seeing movies like "Stigmata" and "End of Days", followed by that show with Skeet Ulrich failing miserably, religion/superstition shows on television shows just aren't as appealing as..say..the gore factor of CSI.  ;D

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I watched it and thought it was pretty good.  I haven't read revelations in a while so I don't know how close they are sticking to it.

I also caught the Dateline before it talking about the Da Vinci Code since Lost was a rerun.  I think I should've just watched Lost again since they didn't answer ANYTHING! ::)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15 PM »
I watched it and thought it was pretty good.  I haven't read revelations in a while so I don't know how close they are sticking to it.

I also caught the Dateline before it talking about the Da Vinci Code since Lost was a rerun.  I think I should've just watched Lost again since they didn't answer ANYTHING! ::)

I spotted that show, after seeing lost was a re-run, and turned to Smallville instead.

They also are quoting other books, too.

Kevin

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 10:57 PM »
It was basically the bibliography for Dan Brown's books.  I did think it was kinda cool that you can take a Da Vinci code tour of Paris.

I wonder if there's an Angels and Demons tour of Rome?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 10:55 PM »
Just a reminder that Part 2 of Revelations is tomorrow night. 

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 01:19 AM »
I haven't heard of it or seen it, but I'd like to know:

Is it anything like the old TV Show Father Dowling Mysteries, staring Tom Bosley? What a great show that was.

I remember my Friday nights consisted of their re-runs and Dark Forces : Jedi Knight on the PC.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 01:34 AM »
I caught about 3 minutes before I changed the channel the other day.

Were it a serious documentary or special I might have been interested, but a melodramatic made-for-t.v. re-enactment?  I'll pass.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38 PM »
Sorry you feel that way Zod, it really is a decent show.  Good writing and well cast.  If you can get past the fact that the nun's hot (I've been a Catholic my whole life and every nun I've ever met has been a bitter-old battleaxe of a harpy-woman!), and that she hasn't smacked Bill Pullman with a ruler for having doubts, it's very compelling. ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 07:20 PM »
I missed the first episode when it first came on, but I caught it Sunday night on Sci-Fi.  I'm glad I had a chance to see it.  It is X-Files good IMO.  I agree about Natascha McElhone.  More nuns like that would have made me pay more attention in school.  I wonder if this series will end with the end of times or if they will continue it as a regular series next year. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 11:18 PM »
I watched part 2 tonight, and this series is pretty good in my opinion.  I don't see how someone could make a true judgement after catching only 3 minutes of it. 

So far, pretty interesting.  Nothing over the top either thus far to make it stupid or overdone.  If anything, it has a nice steady pace to it so far that keeps me interested... this is the only series other than The Simpsons and 24 that I have actually watched in several years.