Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41032 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Disney Announces ObiWan Kenobi show on Disney Plus
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I was glad to see this news come out while I was on vacation.  Ewan McGregor did an excellent job developing the Obi-Wan Kenobi character through the prequels, and I'm excited to see his take on Obi-Wan becoming Ben Kenobi.  I'm also hopeful that Joel Edgerton will be signing on to reprise his role as Owen Lars.  They cast a solid actor for the role in AOTC and ROTS, and having him return for this series would provide some excellent connective tissue so that when Phil Brown's Owen says "that wizard's just a crazy old man" there will be more to it.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Kenobi - Disney+
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 07:13 PM »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2020, 08:20 PM »
The Obi-Wan Kenobi series that was announced for Disney+ has been put on hold.  Deborah Chow remains on the project as director, and the delay has been cited as LFL wanting significant story revisions:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-series-hold-as-calls-goes-new-scripts-1272499

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2020, 10:38 PM »
I am so okay with this I am borderline pleased to hear it. I am tired of the writing being weighed as less important than the scheduled release date. I can wait for quality.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2020, 12:37 AM »
Yeah I'm fine with that...  Rewriting stuff hasn't failed their films.  Rogue One, Solo...  Major changes don't bother me.  I liked those films even if others maybe didn't, and one thing I will agree with ST naysayers is that I don't believe they had it fleshed out as much as they maybe should have.  Neither did Lucas, but I think Lucas had more together and was doing everything himself ultimately.  With the ST, they had a lot of different voices entering the story and while I think they did well with it, I think they would've benefited from the 3-year gaps Lucas did, etc.  Just my opinion.  They wanna pump the brakes?  Fine by me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 05:57 AM »
I'm fine with putting this project on pause while they work on the scripts, too.  And thanks to social media we now have this cross-section of fandom who regard themselves as armchair movie studio executives / producers / screenwriters, etc.  The reality of the movie business is that many projects get put on hold or back into development when studio execs don't regard something as ready to go into production.  Prior to the social media age, this sort of thing might have made it into movie business trades, but in few other places.  But add a project going back into development and social media, and all of a sudden fanboy media claims that the sky is falling and studio executives should be fired.  Calling for a stronger script shows maturity and patience.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2020, 10:05 AM »
I'm ok with them wanting to get it right and if they have to make some delays in order to do that, so be it.

Ewan McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi, for me, was one of the best parts of the PT.  That being said, Attack of the Clones is easily the worst film in the entire saga because of GL being a bad director and not being able to tell a good story.  I don't want to see Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan again if the story is nonsensical....get this right Disney!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2020, 10:56 AM »
I agree with everyone but doesn't change that it's disappointing it got to that point. Later good is better than sooner bad. But sooner good was obviously the hope.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2020, 12:19 PM »
To quote Obi-Wan in TESB - "Patience!"

It's good to see some mature responses to this news.  I would much rather wait and have a superior show than rush things and be disappointed.  Especially since this show is going to stream on Disney's own platform.  They don't have the pressure of a theatrical release date which comes along with a significant level of business and marketing strategy.  I am still very reassured by Deborah Chow working as director given her performance on the 2 episodes of The Mandalorian that she directed.  And with Ewan McGregor returning, along with the possibility of Joel Edgerton as Owen Lars?  I think we're in relatively good hands.

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2020, 02:10 PM »
Not to mention that The Mandalorian has set the bar pretty high.  They need to be very calculating with subsequent moves.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2020, 06:08 PM »
I agree with everyone but doesn't change that it's disappointing it got to that point. Later good is better than sooner bad. But sooner good was obviously the hope.

I'm glad they are getting this right, but this is a kick in the shorts to Disney+ subscribers.  I really liked the Mandalorian, but when are we slated to get anything new SW related now?  Clone Wars?  And they sidelined Hawkeye for the MCU, so we're waiting on Falcon and Winter Solider ...in like 9 months?  I know the services is pretty cheap, but I picked it up with the promise of new content.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2020, 06:13 PM »
I know the services is pretty cheap, but I picked it up with the promise of new content.

Yeah, this is what kind of bugs me the most.  I was doing the math on buying The Mandalorian on Blu-Ray vs. streaming it, plus all the future content in the three year subscription.   Its not a ton of money but it will be annoying if they keep pushing new content further out and then raise rates.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2020, 11:10 AM »

Yeah, this is what kind of bugs me the most.  I was doing the math on buying The Mandalorian on Blu-Ray vs. streaming it, plus all the future content in the three year subscription.   Its not a ton of money but it will be annoying if they keep pushing new content further out and then raise rates.
It works for the theme park division. They just stopped all work on the avengers e-ticket and the new Mickey ride at Disneyland because of the Coronavirus shutting down Shanghai/Hong Kong. At the same time, they raise prices across the board.

Disney  - raise prices now and kick new content down the road.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Kenobi (Disney+)
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2020, 06:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1337174593639829507

Hayden back as Vader?!?

Set ten years after ROTS.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Kenobi (Disney+)
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2020, 08:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1337174593639829507

Hayden back as Vader?!?

Set ten years after ROTS.

I'm wondering if they'll have James Earl Jones do the voice...Hayden's voice isn't quite right for it.

The one thing I have to ask is why Vader would be in it at all? It seems weird that they would have run into each other again before ANH.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram