Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14249 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2021, 11:51 AM »
5,109 now.

Edit: and dropping slowly.

Patrick and crew are morons.  Maybe they're ultimately going to fudge the numbers and it'll get made either way, but this is weak.

I'm more firmly passing than before.

I feel conflicted - I want this to work for those that want it, but I also really want it to fail so they'll stay focused on 3.75" HasLab offerings.

Yeah, I feel the same about everything here.  The tiers are pretty weak.  They should have at least had Malakili as one of the tiers.  How can you have a Rancor without a Rancor Keeper? 
I've passed on every Haslab so far, mostly because I don't have the space for such large items.  They are cool, though and I wish I did have room to display them.  But I kind of feel like the big items work for TVC because of the scale.  6" rather limits what can be done for $500 or less.
I just wish that Hasbro would be open to making packs of obscure background characters in TVC, but it probably wouldn't happen due to costs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:06 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2021, 12:07 PM »
Patrick and crew are morons.  Maybe they're ultimately going to fudge the numbers and it'll get made either way, but this is weak.

I'm more firmly passing than before.

I feel conflicted - I want this to work for those that want it, but I also really want it to fail so they'll stay focused on 3.75" HasLab offerings.

That echoes my feeling about this, too.  I don't want it to fail.  But I don't think this has been handled well.
-Bad launch spoiled by some loose lips during a Q&A session
-The previous Star Wars Haslab still hasn't been delivered
-A crazy funding goal as well as the stretch goal milestones.  Did Hasbro get greedy after the success of the Razor Crest?
-Uninspiring sweeteners
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2021, 12:18 PM »
The difference is we all wanted the Razor Crest, extras be damned. It doesn't seem like Black Series Collectors really care either way if there's a rancor...or at least not many of them.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2021, 12:41 PM »
It's now down to 5,076.  Ughhh

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Currently 5,054 Backers.

I have to say they are all in love with the toy they produced, they seemed very proud of it in the livestream. And the Gammorean and rancor pictures were fun.

The Salacious reveal was very telling, they wanted to do that because they did the TVC version for SDCC years ago. They are either paying homage to themselves in some weird echo chamber, or have no idea what they are doing so they have to cheat off their neighbors' (or previous teams') test papers.

If Luke was going to be a stretch goal he should have been the first tier. It's not like he is going to be exclusive to this packaging. He'll be in Mandalorian packaging, he'll be in 40th ROTJ packaging, he'll be in Archive packaging someday.

Malakili should've been here. I finally realized what figure they could share his torso with--a Gammorean Gladiator from Mando! Too little, too late though...

And, as a cardboard conoisseur, I have to say that giant test print they showed for the backdrop was entirely too glossy to be of much use to action figure photographers. You can get away with the gloss on smaller pieces but stuff that big is just gonna be all reflected light. Boo.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2021, 01:51 PM »
5047 5043.

I can't stop refreshing the page, watching it fall like some bizarre car wreck. :-[

This cannot be what they were expecting to happen after their "big last push" for the Rancor.

In other news, the Rancor's loss appears to be Skystriker's gain - as one goes down, the other is ticking up.  Highlighting again the danger of trying to have three of these big ticket HasLabs all running at once?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2021, 02:14 PM »
The Salacious reveal was very telling, they wanted to do that because they did the TVC version for SDCC years ago. They are either paying homage to themselves in some weird echo chamber, or have no idea what they are doing so they have to cheat off their neighbors' (or previous teams') test papers.

I think the Salacious Crumb illustrates a fundamental lack of understanding of the nuances of TVC collectors versus Black Series collectors.  TVC collectors would probably gobble stuff like this Salacious Crumb up, because the packaging is just as important to them as the figure.  I think Black Series fans are either looking beyond the packaging, or may not care about the packaging at all.  It's about displaying and action figure photography.

I will freely admit that I did buy into the 40th Anniversary offerings for ANH and TESB on the Kenner style cards.  A big part of that was the photo real deco.  But with ROTJ 40th coming up in 2023?  I don't know that I'm going to buy into it again.  Just like the Kenner style cards isn't a draw for me for any of the 3 sweetener figures.

And, as a cardboard conoisseur, I have to say that giant test print they showed for the backdrop was entirely too glossy to be of much use to action figure photographers. You can get away with the gloss on smaller pieces but stuff that big is just gonna be all reflected light. Boo.

How did they not have a better sample to show that off?  I get that it was a rendering to show off the size of the background.  But you're totally right - it should have been a matte printing and it should have been on a gameboard quality backer.  That's a serious fail on their part.

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2021, 03:06 PM »
I honestly kind of chuckled when they brought out that cardboard backdrop. Like everyone else, not because I want it to fail, it was just one of those “yeah, that seems about right”. When I heard they were planning this, let’s be honest, “emergency livestream” to try to change the narrative of this campaign…I thought they would pull out all the stops. Rancor Keeper, another new or new-ish figure, whatever it took. Today’s livestream was about what they whole ride has been….a sad trombone sound.

I’m one of those who does collect both lines. I’m primarily a 3 3/4” collector (which probably should be the HasLab focus because of scale, as mentioned), but I buy Black Series as well. Specifically,I think I have bought all of the OT characters made so far. That alone had me at least initially interested in this. Then I thought about it more, and I just couldn’t justify it. It is a lot of money (right before Christmas), and I honestly don’t have anywhere for it to go aside from the floor. Not to mention that I’m almost more interested in things like the Skystriker and Super 7’s Party Wagon (although that may have priced me out as well).

This whole Rancor thing just shows how the Star Wars team just seems a step behind lately. The figures and everything always look pretty great, but releases are few and far between, announcements in dribbles, and the fact that Funko, Hot Toys, etc can all seem to beat then to market with new or hot characters is kind of ridiculous. I mean, why is there no Mando season 2 Fett ready and on the shelves in time for Book of Boba? That aired a year ago!

To the HasLab side, I do wonder a little if collectors are reaching the breaking point for these huge items. They all look great, but they are pricey space hogs. Add to the fact that many of us follow multiple lines, and it is even worse. As much as I love the Barge…and think it is great…and I’m glad I have it, sometimes I look at that thing and think “as cool as this is, this is ridiculous”😂. I thought the Rancior would end up funding no matter what before today, but now I’m not so sure.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2021, 03:14 PM »
To the HasLab side, I do wonder a little if collectors are reaching the breaking point for these huge items. They all look great, but they are pricey space hogs. Add to the fact that many of us follow multiple lines, and it is even worse. As much as I love the Barge…and think it is great…and I’m glad I have it, sometimes I look at that thing and think “as cool as this is, this is ridiculous”😂.

It would depend on the item, but I think at least for the next five years I would be willing to spend $300-ish on an all new kick ass 3.75" thing.  Ultimate U-Wing?  Death Star playset? Ultimate Mos Eisley Cantina?  Yes, yes, and yes please.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2021, 03:32 PM »

It would depend on the item, but I think at least for the next five years I would be willing to spend $300-ish on an all new kick ass 3.75" thing.  Ultimate U-Wing?  Death Star playset? Ultimate Mos Eisley Cantina?  Yes, yes, and yes please.

Oh absolutely. For all the space issues, if they came out tomorrow and said “we’re doing a TVC Death Star!”, I’d figure it out 😉. I’ve got the Razor Crest on the way eventually as well. It is hard to say no when they dip into TVC.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2021, 05:23 PM »
I checked on the number of backers, and it has not climbed very much since the livestream began.  They were around 5,100 the last time I checked.  At one point during the livestream the count was at 5,142.  But it dropped to 5,126.  I wonder if that's people pulling out, or if that's because of credit cards being declined?

5047 5043.

I can't stop refreshing the page, watching it fall like some bizarre car wreck. :-[

5003 as of 4:15pm CT.

I'm wondering now where it will bottom out before it starts rebounding?  Or how low it gets before Hasbro reacts?  Or do they have internal info/numbers that make them think they'll be OK (like are they sitting on X number of pre-arranged international orders for Japan/Australia/other non-US/UK Pulse markets that they will add in at the last minute)?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Add me to the list of those wanting this to fail.  Sorry to those who are interested, but if this moves forward, it's going to mean more of the same.  I'd rather have it fail and send a message that collectors are not okay with ridiculous prices or lazy incentives on these big ticket items.  I really like the Rancor and would love to have it my collection...for about $200 or less.  At $350, this thing costs more than 15 brand new black series figures (15 * $23 = $345).  Think about that for a minute.  You could get a set of 15 new figures...or a Rancor.  And honestly, given all the comments online, I think the numbers would easily get to the 9k if they had just included Oola or a Rancor Keeper.  Limiting the incentives to re-packs probably has some people cancelling just to spite their lazy approach to getting more backers.  I have to admit, I'd probably have a pre-order right now if this had those two figures attached to it.  Or for this price, give it some battery power to move the mouth or make it growl or have some kind of walking feature. 

I was just looking at the Haslab Galactus offering earlier this week and admiring the 30k+ backers.  Yes, it was $400, but the offering included two brand new 6" figures and a repack of a fairly hard to find Silver Surfer figure.  Galactus also has 70 points of articulation (vs 45 for the Rancor) and has alternate heads, light up LEDs, etc.   This is also a character that has few previous iterations and is somewhat spendy on the secondary market, while I would guess most SW fans have a rancor or multiple rancors at this point.  Pretty sure I have half a dozen of them in various forms.  There's definitely a market for this big ticket stuff, but they either have to make the prices more reasonable or include more meaningful incentives to get backers fired up. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2021, 05:35 PM »
I'm wondering now where it will bottom out before it starts rebounding?  Or how low it gets before Hasbro reacts?  Or do they have internal info/numbers that make them think they'll be OK (like are they sitting on X number of pre-arranged international orders for Japan/Australia/other non-US/UK Pulse markets that they will add in at the last minute)?

Asia will be waking up soon and it'll probably take a few days for everyone to get the news, so I wouldn't be surprised if this continues trending down for a few days yet.  Although as you mention I'm not sure how directly/quickly the international orders can change.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Add me to the list of those wanting this to fail.  Sorry to those who are interested, but if this moves forward, it's going to mean more of the same.  I'd rather have it fail and send a message that collectors are not okay with ridiculous prices or lazy incentives on these big ticket items. 

Hopefully it also sends the message to Hasbro that they might need to shake up their team because there really hasn't been much in terms of new and creative in the past few years.  Yeah, we're getting some new Mandalorian love because it's popular at the moment, but how many repainted Din Djarins do we need?  A large percentage of new reveals aren't even new, but repacks and repaints.  Even the 6" collectors are starting to see the recycling of figures in their line.  So when they revealed the tiers, I wasn't surprised to see 2 repacks.  Luke will be new, but that's dipping in the well that's already been dipped in, character-wise.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2021, 05:48 PM »
Amen to that.  Backers have dropped down to 4,991 as of 4:45 today.  Yikes!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today