Author Topic: Black Series 6" Comic Packs Wave 2  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Black Series 6" Comic Packs Wave 2
« on: February 14, 2022, 03:12 PM »
CNET has an exclusive aka they paid for it reveal of a Black Series 6" comic-based Black Krrsantan

Window-flap comic art inspired box, Fan Channel exclusive, preorder tomorrow (unconfirmed time but probably 1pm ET), $28, scheduled to ship in the spring of 2023, $28.

Pics at the link.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 09:04 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Fan Channel 2023 Black Series 6" Black Krrsantan
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 03:50 PM »
Looks interesting, but the head seems a little elongated (reused Chewbacca head).
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 04:20 PM »
I like the thought, but it really doesn't seem to look like Black Krrsantan from TBOBF and it has the wrong accessories.  BK has a grey beard, silver bandolier (assume this is an unpainted sample, but cmon, put a little effort in to the prototype), and uses a funky blaster rifle (not a Wookiee crossbow).

I'm not sure if this is just the comic version or if they're going to repaint it for TBOBF.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 04:32 PM »
BK has a grey beard, silver bandolier (assume this is an unpainted sample, but cmon, put a little effort in to the prototype), and uses a funky blaster rifle (not a Wookiee crossbow).

I'm not sure if this is just the comic version or if they're going to repaint it for TBOBF.

This is the Marvel comics version, so the bandolier matches up to that.  If you compare to the comic artwork, it looks OK.  But most folks are going to want something that looks like the TBOBF version of BK, which this is clearly not.

Jayson is indicating that this figure might be part of a second wave of the comic/EU inspired stuff (like Jaxxon/Luke/etc last year).

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 04:47 PM »
Its cool enough for me - I'll buy one.  I'm starting to fall in line with Nick on getting tired of all the complaints.  It's not perfect, but we just had a Hasbro update last week with people crying that there weren't enough new Black Series figures on the way.  Days later we get another figure announcement and...its not good enough.  I don't fault people for voicing their opinions and I do think this could have been done better/differently, but the negativity is really draining me today.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 04:50 PM »
BK has a grey beard, silver bandolier (assume this is an unpainted sample, but cmon, put a little effort in to the prototype), and uses a funky blaster rifle (not a Wookiee crossbow).

This is the Marvel comics version, so the bandolier matches up to that.  If you compare to the comic artwork, it looks OK.  But most folks are going to want something that looks like the TBOBF version of BK, which this is clearly not.

Jayson is indicating that this figure might be part of a second wave of the comic/EU inspired stuff (like Jaxxon/Luke/etc last year).

I'm sorry, but I don't really get that, at all.  ???

I've read nearly every comic they've written and BK didn't stand out as anything noteworthy and I'd totally forgotten him until he appeared in TBOBF and I had to Google him. 

Why would they create a comic version that most people don't care about when they could just as easily create a TBOBF version that everyone can relate to?  The cynical side of me thinks this is just to double dip where they come out with the comic version today and then tweak it to be TBOBF version in 18 months.  ::)

Maybe its negativity on my part, but I'm at a loss as to why they would go this route.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:51 PM by Dave »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 05:35 PM »
Looking at him compared to the comic art on the package, he's way too thin.

I hope the TVC version is better.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 06:14 PM »
Wow, this is one of the laziest efforts I’ve ever seen from Hasbro. Repainted Chewie with a new belt/chest piece that they couldn’t even bother to add paint apps to. I’m thinking I can safely pass on this one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 06:16 PM »
Why would they create a comic version that most people don't care about when they could just as easily create a TBOBF version that everyone can relate to?  The cynical side of me thinks this is just to double dip where they come out with the comic version today and then tweak it to be TBOBF version in 18 months.  ::)

Maybe its negativity on my part, but I'm at a loss as to why they would go this route.

It is absolutely this.  Maybe sprinkle in a little "It will take 1-2 years to design and produce a better one" and you have it right there Dave.  Why would they ever create the ultimate deluxe version on the first try when they can get some easy repaint sales now and still get the same people to buy a better TBOBF version later on?  I don't think that's conspiracy, I think its just their business model.  But I've always been a sucker for variations and different versions of figures, so I'll still end up buying both. 

Thing is, with the retail environment the way it is and stuff preordered so far in advance, they kind of have collectors at their mercy.  Sometimes a figure gets an upgrade, a rerelease, or an archive pack, but sometimes you never see that figure again.  You mix the scared collectors with the impatient collectors and voila - sales!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 06:18 PM »
Wow, this is one of the laziest efforts I’ve ever seen from Hasbro. Repainted Chewie with a new belt/chest piece that they couldn’t even bother to add paint apps to. I’m thinking I can safely pass on this one.

Well, it's no Zaalbar...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 06:30 PM »
Figuring it takes Hasbro a while to get from planning stages to production, they obviously had this comic version in mind long before Santo showed up in TBoBF.  I don't read the comics but from the EU Top Ten on Yakface, Santo was tied for 9th in TVC... so there is some interest in getting him in the line. 

I'm sure Hasbro will get a TBoBF version out soon enough.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 09:37 PM »
I rarely enjoy the toxicity of Twitter but reading all the extreme vitriol from people over this monstrosity was actually pretty entertaining. I think it is completely justified too, this is easily one of the worst, laziest figures they have ever released. Yet another misstep in this line…this current team just does not seem to get it.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54 AM »
I was okay with the Zaalbar kitbash because that Wookiee looked like Chewbacca.

This looks like trash.  Pass.

This is genuinely difficult for me to say.  Because I think the Wookiees are some of my favorite aliens in Star Wars.  I was all in on the Wookiees in Revenge Of The Sith.  And I was genuinely disappointed that we didn't get any of the Wookiees from the mines of Kessel in the SOLO 3.75" line.

When Hasbro is ready to make a GOOD Krrsantan in both the Vintage Collection or the Black Series, I'll be there.  But this is just lazy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 10:17 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 05:02 PM »
I was okay with the Zaalbar kitbash because that Wookiee looked like Chewbacca.

This looks like trash.  Pass.

This is genuinely difficult for me to say.  Because I think the Wookiees are some of my favorite aliens in Star Wars.  I was all in on the Wookiees in Revenge Of The Sith.  And I was genuinely disappointed that we didn't get any of the Wookiees from the mines of Kessel in the SOLO 3.75" line.

When Hasbro is ready to make a GOOD Krrsantan in both the Vintage Collection or the Black Series, I'll be there.  But this is just lazy.

I was thinking about this earlier; it's really sad that I can't even find an excuse to buy this figure just to pop into a ROTS/Battle of Kashyyk display.

I mean, if they had just added ANY sort of paint apps to that bandolier, I'd be in for one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Black Series 6" Comic Packs Wave 2
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 09:14 AM »

Updating this thread to reflect that Black Krrsantan is part of a new comic pack wave - here's Jayson's rumor list:

- Black Krrsantan
- Princess Leia (??)
- Redeemed Darth Vader (Star Wars Infinities)
- Sgt. Kreel (Marvel Star Wars [2015])

Based on the fact that wave 1 and BK seem to be primarily kit-bashes or repaints, that's probably what these are.  Vader is likely just a white repaint; Sgt. Kreel probably just a Stormtrooper repaint with pauldron and lightsaber.  Maybe Leia will just be a Leia head on the padme sculpt/body or something.  Or maybe they will surprise us and put something all new in here?  Nah... probably not.