Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #120 on: February 3, 2023, 09:11 PM »
Those are nice!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 6, 2023, 12:28 PM »
Those are nice!

:)

Separate note... have any of you guys bought any of these? 

https://www.thenext17.com/

I don't think they do it for me... the Stan Solo sculpts are just too perfect in terms of fitting the original line and these feel a little more out of place.  I like the effort though...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 6, 2023, 12:36 PM »
He reached out to me a couple weeks back wondering if I would do a trade of some of his figures for some Cardboard Galaxy stuff, so I took him up on it (it will get my stuff exposure to his fans, so why not?)

I will be receiving a Baby Wampa and a Toothface (J'Quille) soon, I will let you know what I think of them when they arrive. If the new wave had been announced when we did the deal I probably would have made different choices.

His figures definitely have their own style which is a bit askew from what I see as the Kenner aesthetic, but if he does a Kenner style Muftak down the road I don't think I would be able to resist it, no matter the style.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 6, 2023, 06:52 PM »
Cool, and yeah, let me know.  I'm curious.  There are a handful that I think might be worth one-off purchases. 

Meanwhile, the Stan Solo USA site has removed all but three of the astromechs and one of the remaining 3 is sold out... there are a few on the UK site that were in stock a couple days ago and are marked as sold out now.  It looks like those eBay-induced panic buying was real.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2023, 06:55 PM by Rob »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 7, 2023, 06:50 AM »
I've looked at the next 17 stuff, but hadn't made a purchase.  I was also wondering what they looked like in person.  The newest wave from them has a bunch of the cantina aliens and I was wondering how they looked.

For Stan Solo stuff, he has been saying that he was running out of astromechs and that once they are gone they are gone.  Still waiting to see if he announces anything new.

I reached out to the Smith Lord guy about the status of the Bantha and wave of 13 and he said that they were going to have an update posted soon.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 7, 2023, 09:41 AM »
Well last night on Instagram he was threatening to quit all together because people were saying things about his family online.  Short fuse that guy, although I can understand not liking that. I hope
he can ignore the trolls, but that doesn’t seem to be his thing.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 7, 2023, 11:08 AM »
He went further than threatening to quit: he also showed a letter of intent from the Chinese factory where his toys are made, saying that if he quits they will take his molds, replace the SS on the legs with a facsimile Kenner COO and date, and pump them out for a lot cheaper than Stan Solo can do. Effectively creating perfect and purposeful repros of all the Last 17 POTF figures Stan Solo made over the past couple years, in an attempt to tank the market on loose POTF figures.

I am hoping he hangs in there long enough to get the Dagobah Luke he previewed for this year out. He looks really good.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 7, 2023, 12:18 PM »
Ah okay, I didn't quite follow him on that part, but that makes sense.  I could definitely see him doing it just to spite people.  Hopefully he settles down and keeps making cool new stuff like Garindan and Oola. 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 7, 2023, 03:23 PM »
He quit before, which is what wound up giving The Fans Strike Back control of their Bantha project and the legacy of quality that Smith Lord Creations used to have that persuaded people to prepay for the 13 figure set that has never been completed.

But it's like with the way his droids just dried up: he has said he can't rerun them because he had to switch factories and lost the tooling, but also he is (rightly so) very reluctant to do second runs of any of the figures, because he doesn't see that the market will buy a full second run and he would be losing money in the transaction. Can't ask him to do that, but it seems to me there are plenty of reasons for him to consider tooling that astromech up again at the new factory and continuing to do smaller runs of those and of course getting to new, different, unique ones.

And then the caveat, if Hasbro lets the flood gates open up on their Retro collection now that they've done the Artoo, too, he's out of business on it anyway. I know he took a hit last year tooling up Retro Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood figures. He only got the the Marion out just ahead of Hasbro's announcement and scrapped his Indy release plans...that's an a lost investment that would probably make me second-guess decisions in the future too.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 8, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Yes, he seems to be going off the rails a bit.  He is sending death threats back to the people coming after him.  I would think both the astromech and protocol droid molds could be reused for several figures.

As for the Chinese factory making bootleg last 17 figures, I wonder if they would even bother.  I'm not sure how much Hasbro/Disney has cracked down on this stuff in the past.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 8, 2023, 09:52 PM »
I guess things have calmed down some... today he's talking about his Dagobah Luke custom, and the WIP sculpt looks really cool. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2023, 03:18 PM »
There's a new small batch of Bantha's being made... preorders are up now if anyone missed it who wants one:

https://stansolocreations.company.site/PRE-ORDER-NOT-IN-STOCK-Custom-Vintage-Style-Ban-Fodder-with-Box-do-NOT-order-anything-else-on-same-order-p464722654

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2023, 03:23 PM »
We'll see if it holds, but Chris posted on RS and said that Dagobah Luke will be the last Stan Solo product: 

https://forum.rebelscum.com/threads/3-75-professionally-made-kenner-style-customs-repros-discussion.1147498/page-7#post-20590282

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 12:45 AM by Rob »

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2023, 05:41 PM »
He's like the Howard Hughes of the Star Wars bootlegger set. I guess Dagobah Luke will be his Spruce Goose.

Here the business just hit another level of notoriety in the last week with the panic sell outs of all the astromechs, and rather than being thrilled and trying to parlay that into more sales and lining up future stuff, he is out because fans aren't supporting his war against a goofoff youtuber?

Which, by the way, has to be more than coincidence. Getting roasted by the guy brought a whole bunch more eyeballs to his stuff, period. No such thing as bad publicity.

Oh well, maybe someone else will be spurred on to pick up where he left off. Or the other personality will surface tomorrow and reverse it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 05:49 PM by Muftak »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2023, 10:32 AM »
Who's the YouTuber giving him crap?
This is the way.

I have spoken.