Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 211140 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #735 on: November 15, 2005, 12:50 PM »

Shouldn't you be shoveling the driveway instead of taking pictures?   ::)  ;)

We had some of the wet snow last week - it was so heavy it snapped branches on some of our cedars.  (We didn't get that much though  :o)

You can rail all you want against SUV's if you live in the south (and don't own a minivan) but don't bring that argument up here.

Amen.  Last year I had to drive our Pontiac Vibe through the winter and was NOT impressed (although my X-Ice winter tires did improve things greatly).  But this year I get to jump through the snow with our Ford Escape.  I'ts just a small SUV, but it's an amazing winter vehicle.  During the summer, I kept thinking I wanted to buy a 1/2 ton, but it'll never handle like my Escape (unless of course I pony of the cash for a 4x4).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 12:52 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 15, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Dude, I've already shovelled three times so far.  To the pavement.  Worse, our neighbours are like 70, so I've been shovelling there and then at the end of the street there's a Japanese lady that just moved here and her husband is out of town.  She's got a one year old so she can't be outside shovelling. 

Of course because I can't get to work today it's considered a vacation day ::)  Gotta love working for the government. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #737 on: November 15, 2005, 01:16 PM »
I was going to come in here saying "it's another ****** day in paradise" because it's cold and raining here, but then I saw the big pic with the snow in it, and I decided not to complain about it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 15, 2005, 01:24 PM »
Of course because I can't get to work today it's considered a vacation day ::)  Gotta love working for the government. 

Oh, that's fair.   ::)  I'd say you've got another reason to post in the Things that Piss you off thread. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 15, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Oh, that's fair.   ::)  I'd say you've got another reason to post in the Things that Piss you off thread.

Besides being Canadian? :-*

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 15, 2005, 06:59 PM »
It's 72 degrees here.  Back in the U.P., it's opening day of deer season and snowing like crazy.  It's very odd to be raking leaves in November!!

Thanks for the pictures Brent....you'll have to post more so I can remember what snow looks like.    
Beth

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 15, 2005, 07:20 PM »
Windy, and in the 60's. Cold weather, finally! :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 15, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Tornado warnings all over Middle Tennessee right now, and I'm safe and sound in Baltimore. Sort of wish I was home right now, that type of weather is fascinating in an odd way.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 15, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Very nice Brent.  ;D   8)

We had a tad of snow here last nite, suppose to melt by tomorrow afternoon after we get more flurries in the morning. Going up to 3°C from our high today of -9°C then staying around 9°C for the rest of the week.  :P

Hmmm, I would be talking to your Union rep on that!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 07:46 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #744 on: November 16, 2005, 12:31 AM »
We got some snow here today. Now it's just cold with high winds.

Bleh.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 16, 2005, 01:06 AM »
Basically, it's warm and muggy here. Last I checked, the Greer (GSP) station was reporting a temperature of 66.
The powerful system responsible for bringing the snows to Canuks and Mid-Westerners will sling its Cold Front through here over the next few hours. Unlike in Tennesse, Kentuky, Ohio and Indiana, it seems like we'll be spared from any widespread Severe Weather outbreaks due to a general lack of instability. Dosen't mean we won't have an isolated wind event though...*ahem* regardless, I'm going to see this system through. One of those things about wanting to be a meterologist, I suppose.

Tommorow looks nice though, Colder atleast. Matter of fact, we've probably already reached our High Temp. for today thanks to the impending passage of the front.
Speaking of the front, looks like it may touch off another round of Severe Weather in the mid-Atlantic tommorow...but I'm guessing it'll be pretty short lived over the lower mid-Atlantic since the front is already knocking at the western slopes of the Appalachins...I won't venture a guess further nord, since I'm relativley unfamiliar with storm patterns up there.

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 16, 2005, 10:04 AM »
How's the weather Brent?  :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 16, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Uh....

Winter came and I don't think it wants to leave :-\

-15 C currently, windchill has it at -25 C

We got about a foot of snow, but where I work got a foot and a half :o

The funniest part is that the long term forecast on the weather network is calling for us to be above 0 C (32 F) by Friday ::)  Naturally, they haven't adjusted the forecast yet.  I'll grant you there could be a different weather system rolling in quickly, but with this much snow there isn't all that ground heating that used to be keeping us warm.  I hope this **** all melts away but I won't be counting on it. 

Roads are icy as all get out, travel is not recommended ( my work commute falls under the category of commute ::)) so I'm at home for the day.  It is a vacation day.  Funny thing is I could drift over to the University or our Winnipeg office and work out of there, but our snow policy is such that because I don't make it to my own office, I lose the day to vacation.  I like my job, but if they're going to support a ****** up policy like that, no way am I going to work for free.  Apparently I'm supposed to risk my life just to get to a particular physical location.  Uh.  No. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 16, 2005, 10:14 AM »
That's crazy, losing a day vacation. Where's that Union rep!  >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 18, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Whoa, it's 12 °C right now and windy as hell. Gusts up to 43 km/hr and up to 90 km/hr. Were going to be in the plus side for a few more days yet, 14°C tomorrow.  8)   :P