Author Topic: Mad Max...  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Mad Max...
« on: August 10, 2004, 11:37 PM »
OK...

Beyond Thunderdome was on tonight, and my mother and I were talking and she said she saw my brother also watching a Mad Max film, and she asked me questions about like where Max went, etc...

And, I'd never really thought about it, but this is a series I REALLY like, and I feel all 3 were solid films, but I honestly don't know what else there is?

What did happen to Mad Max?  There's some illuding towards the lost children making a society...  The oil hogs in The Road Warrior make a home as the "great Northern Tribe" as well...

But is there more to this series that maybe you guys know of?  Comics, novels, what?

I was thinking too, that in this day and age of video games that meld genres together like GTA, or Halo, how nice a well made Road Warrior game could be, but I digress.

I'd just never really thought about this series, and if there's more to it...  I haven't seen the original Mad Max in so long I don't even recall the details as to what happened to the town he was from, or the people.  It's just vague recollection, and that I actually liked it too.

What's the deal anyway?  Are any of you guys Road Warrior nuts?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Mad Max...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 12:30 AM »
Road Warrior is the best of the three IMO.

I've heard recently that a fourth one is in the works...  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:12 AM »
I had not heard this, but Gibson's still spry enough to pull it off if he did it.  

I'd just worry it'd be a bastardized Road Warrior, ala the sequal to "Escape from New York", or some such.  Something that tries to hard to mimic the originals (or in this case, "the best") for a new audience...  

I'd like seeing it if it tied some things up...  If it at least showed some conclusion to how society developes.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 06:55 AM »
The 4th installment apparently had been written and was to film prior to the war in Iraq, but whether there were location problems, etc, it had been nixed.  I believe the name was Fury Road?  And Mel did a while back that he no longer wanted to pursue.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 08:42 AM »
Yep, it's titled Mad Max:Road Fury but it is very delayed due to the war in Iraq. It was to be filmed in Namibia, Africa. Latest I found is it has a budget of 120 Million dollars & may not start filming till next year.

So many different stories on where it was to be filmed & when thus far. Guess we will have to wait this one out.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 08:33 PM »
Interesting news, but sounds like it may nt happen at all.

I figured this story would've surely had a series of "EU" to it somewhere.  There's a lot you could come up with.  Hell, I'd just like to know what even ahppened in the first place besides the vague "Apocolypse" references.  

Who fired at who?  What lead to everything.  I'd buy that EU. :)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 03:38 PM »
I’m a big fan of the first two films, preferring the original by just a hair over Road Warrior. BTW the newish DVD release of Mad Max is great- plenty of extras, and finally presented undubbed in its original Australian.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:14 PM »
That's interesting.

What all extras do they have?  Any additional footage my videotaping feind? 

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 10:43 PM »
...my videotaping feind? 
HA! That's funny. ;D

It features a nifty commentary, a couple of little documentaries (which to be honest aren’t too spectacular)…trailers…o.k. alright, I guess I may have over-reacted on the bonus materials, but in all seriousness the package is totally worth it because it looks so damn clean and new, and watchable in its original language, I tells yah- Big Bopper’s crashes are super sweet on digital widescreen--

... like ice'n'shugah!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 11:44 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini