Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 131743 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #300 on: October 6, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Guns 'confirm' "Chinese Democracy"

10/06/2006 4:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Dotmusic

The new Guns N' Roses album will be released next month, it has been claimed.

Chinese Democracy has been mooted for around a decade by Axl Rose, the only surviving member of the band since their days of rock 'n' roll world domination.

However with the group recently completing a relatively successful and trouble-free European tour and scheduling more dates in the U.S., new recordings also seem imminent.

According to claims in Rolling Stone this week, Chinese Democracy has officially been scheduled for an American release date of November 21.

Earlier in the week, a cryptic statement from the group backed up such speculation, insisting "there are 13 Tuesdays left between now and the end of the year."

There has so far been no official confirmation on these reports.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 9, 2006, 10:19 AM »
Guns 'confirm' "Chinese Democracy"

10/06/2006 4:00 PM, Yahoo! Music
Dotmusic

The new Guns N' Roses album will be released next month, it has been claimed.

Chinese Democracy has been mooted for around a decade by Axl Rose, the only surviving member of the band since their days of rock 'n' roll world domination.

However with the group recently completing a relatively successful and trouble-free European tour and scheduling more dates in the U.S., new recordings also seem imminent.

According to claims in Rolling Stone this week, Chinese Democracy has officially been scheduled for an American release date of November 21.

Earlier in the week, a cryptic statement from the group backed up such speculation, insisting "there are 13 Tuesdays left between now and the end of the year."

There has so far been no official confirmation on these reports.

Good stuff, MATT.  This has been the rumor for months over on the MyGNR.com forums.  November 21st has been the long rumored date.  The US tour has to be one reason why I believe the rumors this time.

The album will sell, but Axl's critics will scream "this isn't GNR" and will overshadow the album, not matter the quality.
« Last Edit: October 9, 2006, 10:20 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #302 on: October 9, 2006, 12:49 PM »
The album will sell, but Axl's critics will scream "this isn't GNR" and will overshadow the album, not matter the quality.

. . .which, of course, wouldn't happen at all, had Axl not been a greedy ******bag about the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses."  Had he let it go, and just gone off and done his own thing, the expectations and hype wouldn't be nearly as high (and chances are, the album would have come out years ago).

So yeah, if you want to keep the name, then you're gonna have to deal with the fact that people are gonna compare it to the old stuff, however fair or not that is.

Like I've said all along, I'll be right there in the store on release day, and I hope the album does well, and I hope it's good.  But, from what I've heard so far. . .  let's just say that those hopes aren't all that high.

And whatever happens to this album--it's all Axl's doing.  Not Slash.  Not the critics.  Not the record company.  He's the one who's turned it into the debacle that it is.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 12, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Also reported by Rolling Stone magazine:

GNR Chinese Democracy release date

Perhaps it is true this year... ;)
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2006, 01:46 PM »

. . .which, of course, wouldn't happen at all, had Axl not been a greedy ******bag about the rights to the name "Guns N' Roses." Had he let it go, and just gone off and done his own thing, the expectations and hype wouldn't be nearly as high (and chances are, the album would have come out years ago).

It's all about the brand - GNR is a household name.  You tell me it's not about the money, then what's his reason for holding on so tight?

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2006, 10:10 AM »
Releasing the album on November 21st has to be business-suicide.  It is impossible to make back the $13 million spent making the long-awaited album, but it can't possibly have any commercial success without a single, video, or almost no promotional advertising.

I say "almost no promotional advertising" b/c I did see something of interest last week when I was in the mall.  Outside of Spencer's, there was an announcement for the 'Band of the Month': GNR!  The logo and picture of Axl was a recent one b/c his hair was in the braids.  The ad mentioned their website (SpencersOnline.com), but I could not find any mention of GNR. 

Wikipedia also has updated the GNR page, by adding the Rolling Stone info as well as reporting that the band has confirmed the November 21st date. 

I'll ask the resident expert:  Matt, has any other year seemed so promising for the release of the album?  First, the 'leak' of the tracks in February, then the successful European tour, followed by a US tour, and now with independent reports of the confirmed release date?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:19 AM by S_A_Longhorn »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2006, 02:45 AM »
It's all about the brand - GNR is a household name.  You tell me it's not about the money, then what's his reason for holding on so tight?

Yeah, that's a bit contradictory on my part, isn't it?  I'll just chalk it up to the man himself being a bit of a contradiction (emphasis on the third syllable).  The name is important to hang onto, 'cause it means income he gets for free, without ever having to lift a finger, every time some junior high schooler discovers Appetite for the first time, or every time some football team plays "Jungle" on the stadium's PA system.  Someone's gotta have the rights to the name--might as well be him.  Plus, he knows that he ain't **** without it.  It's his meal ticket.  He doesn't have the talent or the freedom to go out and do anything outside of his twenty-five-year-old Guns N' Roses comfort zone, the way the other guys did.

But the whole "greed" discussion was based on a slightly different subject, which was the release of other stuff since the original band (as we knew them) broke up.  And, on that aspect, I still don't think he's all that greedy--at least as compared to a lot of other artists out there.  There hasn't really been a whole lot of stuff released over the years for fans to go out and buy, and I think most of the stuff that has been released has been more of a record company thing than an Axl Rose thing.  Look at artists like Tupac, or Nirvana, or Jimi Hendrix, where the people who own the rights to their stuff are milking it for every cent they can get.

Releasing the album on November 21st has to be business-suicide.  It is impossible to make back the $13 million spent making the long-awaited album, but it can't possibly have any commercial success without a single, video, or almost no promotional advertising.

What better time of year is there to release an album?  November 21st is the last Tuesday before Black Friday--it's probably the best Tuesday in the whole year to release something, if you want maximized visibility and sales (and who doesn't?) from the Christmas shoppers.  And sure, singles and videos and such, they help, but the lack of them doesn't necessarily mean "business-suicide."  Pearl Jam released a couple of albums in the mid-nineties without any promotional support at all, and they were some of the biggest-selling weekly record debuts of all time.

An album like this doesn't need any promotional singles or videos to help it out.  It'll sell hundreds of thousands of copies, right out of the gate, to people who will be curious to hear what the "new GN'R" sounds like, and if the decade-long wait was worth it.  And if it's any good, and gets good reviews and word of mouth, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at a million-and-a-half or two million in sales a couple months later.

Wikipedia also has updated the GNR page, by adding the Rolling Stone info as well as reporting that the band has confirmed the November 21st date.

Wiki is just going off the RS info, which is, quote, "a friend of ours with a retail source," which honestly means nothing.  All this latest talk is based off of one person in retail.  That's it.  There's still not a page up for it at Amazon, and Pause & Play (a great site for upcoming CD news) is still listing it as "TBA."  Hell, not even the official GN'R website has anything up about it--just a place to sign up for a mailing list and buy some t-shirts.

I'll ask the resident expert:  Matt, has any other year seemed so promising for the release of the album?  First, the 'leak' of the tracks in February, then the successful European tour, followed by a US tour, and now with independent reports of the confirmed release date?

"Resident expert," my ass.  Just a cynical, bemused, longtime fan who really enjoys the circus that the album has become.  The longer it takes, the more entertaining it all gets.  And the hype is gonna far exceed the quality of the album, whenever it does come out.  It's gonna be such a letdown.  People are gonna be like "this piece of **** took ten years to release?" And it'll be hilarious. 

Anyway, yeah, you're right--for now, it seems like there's somewhat of a chance for the album to really come out.  The tours, the leaks, the rumored release dates, and so on.  "Maybe this year," right?  But I gotta remind you that we've been through this all before, most recently in 2002.  There were leaked tracks out before then (I had 'em), and there was some overseas touring, and there was an MTV Music Video Awards appearance, and there was a U.S. tour, and everybody's thinking "yep, this is finally the buildup to the release of the album" (I remind you this was four years ago).  And then the U.S. tour goes to **** and 2002 passes with no Chinese Democracy.  Then 2003.  Then 2004.  Then 2005.  And now here we are, with two-and-a-half months left to go in 2006, and the album's still up in the air.

So you'll have to forgive me for being a tad skeptical about getting the album this year.  Maybe we will, and maybe we won't.  It's all up to Axl, but he's a bit--how you say--****** in the head, so who knows?  Someone could look at him wrong and he'd throw a fit and disappear for the next five years.

And I've been slacking on this, so here's an update:

Thirteen Twelve Eleven Ten Nine Tuesdays left. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #307 on: October 24, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Some random snippets:

---

Harley Davidson is using "Better" in a new commercial.  See it here.

---

From The Axl Rose Band's manager, Merck Mercuriadis, by way of Blabbermouth.net:

"The album will come out this year. There are ten Tuesdays left before January — it will come out on one of them."

"I don't know that we will announce a release date," he says. "You just might walk into your record shop one Tuesday and find it there."

Yep, one of the most-hyped albums of all time is just gonna magically show up on the racks one day, without anyone knowing.  Hell, it may even be out today, for all we know!

---

And, since it's Tuesday:

Thirteen Twelve Eleven Ten Nine Eight Tuesdays left until Christmas!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 24, 2006, 05:44 PM »

Harley Davidson is using "Better" in a new commercial. See it here.

More like GNR is using Harley Davidson to promote their new song.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 05:45 PM by ruiner »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2006, 09:37 AM »
November 21st is still the rumored date.

Don't know why Axl wouldn't promote this album, since it is one of the most hyped albums ever.  Oh well, I await the release....whenever it happens...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #310 on: October 31, 2006, 11:29 AM »
November 21st is still the rumored date.

. . .which is still based on one report from a retail source.  Meaningless, really.  I've actually seen some scuttlebutt about a November 14 release, which I would particularly enjoy, since that's my birthday.  It'd be a funny birthday present.

And, since it's Tuesday. . .

Thirteen Twelve Eleven Ten Nine Eight Seven Tuesdays left until Christmas!

This album is so not coming out in 2006. 

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #311 on: November 1, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Truth is, the album might as well be called "The Phantom Menace."  People have been waiting for it for years, and there is no way that it can be judged as a simple album.  Even if it's solid, it can't live up to peoples' expectations...
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #312 on: November 7, 2006, 08:29 AM »
Dedicated to Mr. Scott Pearson

---

Thirteen Twelve Eleven Ten Nine Eight Seven Six Tuesdays left until Christmas!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #313 on: November 7, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I laugh every single ******* time I hear that, now with the video added and his ridiculous outfit, it makes it all the more hilarious, thanks Matty B :-*

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #314 on: November 7, 2006, 11:37 PM »
I laugh every single ******* time I hear that, now with the video added and his ridiculous outfit, it makes it all the more hilarious, thanks Matty B :-*

Thought you might get a kick out of that.  The same guy put up the entire rest of the show, too, if you hadn't already noticed.

---

Uh-oh. . .

Not smelling like a rose to fans

Portland (Maine) Press Herald Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Welcome to the jungle, where there were no "fun and games."

The rock band Guns N' Roses, which helped define an era with songs like "Welcome to the Jungle,"  canceled its concert at the Cumberland County Civic Center Monday, 2 1/2 hours before the event was scheduled to begin.

The unexplained cancellation angered fans, many of whom pinned the decision on Guns N' Roses lead singer Axl Rose, who has a reputation for calling off shows.

"I got all dressed up; I went all out for this concert,"  said 17-year-old Misty McAuliffe of Rockland, standing across the street from the civic center in a tight black outfit and a Guns N' Roses belt buckle.

Fans like McAuliffe turned a section of Free Street behind the civic center into ground zero for Rose-bashing Monday night.

While fans griped outside, a crew of dozens worked inside the civic center to take apart the stage, which was show-ready - lighting, amplifiers and all - by 5:30 p.m., when Guns N' Roses' promoter told the venue's manager the show was off.

Steve Crane, the civic center's general manager, said the band's promoter, AEG Live, did not give a reason for the decision.

Crane, who has worked at the venue for 29 years, said he could remember only one or two other times when a show was called off so close to the scheduled starting time.

He said he scrambled to tell local television and radio stations about the decision in hopes some fans would get the word before leaving for the concert.

Approximately 3,400 fans bought tickets for the show; Crane said the venue could've accommodated around 6,500 spectators Monday. Tickets were $65, and vendors will give refunds beginning today at the box office.

Chris Kirby, 39, of New Gloucester said a parking garage attendant in Portland told him the show was canceled. Kirby brought his son, stepson and one of the boys' friends with him to the show.

The four stood outside the civic center around 6:15 p.m. Monday when a passerby jokingly asked, "Where's Axl?"

"He better be far, far away,"  Kirby said, laughing.

Guns N' Roses is known for a string of seminal rock records in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

The band is also known for the antics of its lead singer and only remaining original member, Rose, who has publicly feuded with band mates and sparked riots in St. Louis during the band's performance and, more recently, in Vancouver and Philadelphia after shows in those two cities were canceled.

Sebastian Bach, the former lead singer of another influential 1980s band, Skid Row, and relative newcomers Papa Roach were also scheduled to perform, and the lineup drew a diverse crowd.

Fans like Kirby, who remembered Guns N' Roses' rise to popularity well, mingled with teenagers who were born shortly before or after the release of the band's last successful albums, "Use Your Illusion  I and II, in 1991.

Guns N' Roses is currently touring to promote its long-forthcoming album, "Chinese Democracy.

The band played in New Jersey Sunday and is scheduled in Worcester, Mass., Wednesday.

Jonni Tegarden, 58, of Rumford said she attended the show at the Meadowlands Sunday and couldn't believe the Portland concert was canceled.

"(Rose) was in a really good mood last night,"  said Tegarden, who was once president of California-based Ruthless Management and said she has known the singer for years.

Rose, who has been going from city to city by plane during the tour, did not come to Portland, the civic center's Crane said.

Crane said the civic center receives about 1 percent of ticket revenue, but the cancellation cost the venue money it could have made on beer and food, as well as a cut of T-shirt sales.

---------------

It's definitely 2002, all over again.

Who all around here bought tickets for later shows?