Author Topic: Latest vintage acquisition  (Read 410446 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Latest vintage acquisition
« Reply #315 on: August 6, 2007, 12:09 PM »
Very impressive Rob, and considering that it's vintage, what a bargain!

By the end of the year we'll be moved into a house and my parents are going to ship me all my vintage stuff...not sure if I'll get bit by the bug or not.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 7, 2007, 05:09 PM »
Thanks!

My collecting habits have definitely changed this year.  I started getting into Gentle Giant busts and Vintage a lot more.

The problem is that I'm still buying assloads of modern stuff.  Hopefully that will slow down.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2007, 12:16 AM »
Rob, awesome stuff and sounds like some great deals.  Very nicely done overall. 

I'm not to the point of stopping modern, but I think I'm going to drift back to OT/CW only and see what the new shows bring. 

For vintage, I'd like to pick up the Droids unmade figures but even as customs they command a mean price too.  I'm also thinking of trying for one of every vintage figure on a card.  I was going trilogo but it went crazy about a year after I started buying them, so too pricey now.  Plus I'm too cheap to finish out the 12-backs. 

I also need to wrap up the beasts and the mini-rigs, but I'm trying for those complete, preferably sealed but definitely with box and inserts. 

I think I've also lost my mind and I'm about to go into vintage Indiana Jones figures too :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32 PM »
Thanks Brent.

I'm leaning the same way - but I haven't stopped my modern leanings yet.  I'm just buying too much. :)

I'm definitely getting into these baggie figures.  I decided to hold off on starting to collect carded vintage - expensive as hell and I'm too worried I'll spend a fortune and 10 years from now the glue will be so worn that bubbles will start falling off.   

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 11, 2007, 12:31 AM »

I'm definitely getting into these baggie figures.  I decided to hold off on starting to collect carded vintage - expensive as hell and I'm too worried I'll spend a fortune and 10 years from now the glue will be so worn that bubbles will start falling off.   

Oh you mean like my really nice 21-back Power Droid :'(  Really nice card with very few flaws, clear bubble, nice colors but now the bubble is bouncing around in the star case?  That kind of thing?  Did I use this yet? :'(

My concerns with vintage carded are like that too, but more with price dropping out of the sky within 10 years.  You know, drop $250 on a 12 back stormtrooper today, retire in 15 years, decide to move to Maui and go to sell it only to get back $60.  I really do think the market is too high and entirely driven by baby boomers with too much cash and not enough brains.  It's way too reminiscent of the early days of McFarlane sportspicks.  Yeah, these are much more rare and vintage, but there were guys thinking they were funding their college educations with sportspicks.  Only problem is figures they dropped $450 on are now worth about $250.  That's not cool. 

Kinda the rationale I have for finishing a vinty collection of each figure, but cardback type not really mattering so much.  92 figures and only one guaranteed to be really expensive?  Kind of appealing. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 11, 2007, 02:01 AM »
"Kinda the rationale I have for finishing a vinty collection of each figure, but cardback type not really mattering so much.  92 figures and only one guaranteed to be really expensive?  Kind of appealing. "

Definitely!  If I start collecting carded, I am not sweating which card back they are on at all.  Which one is the expensive one?  I haven't done much research when it comes to carded collecting and price.

Sorry to hear about that GONK.   :-[
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:01 AM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 11, 2007, 03:14 AM »
Well, expensive is a relative term ;)

But Yakface was what came to mind.  You could find most of the rest for relatively less than $100.  Though now that I think of it, the POTF stuff would be nasty, so reset that to 17 figures that would be expensive.  Those were on trilogo too, but sometimes that's worse :-\

Geez, now that I think of it this wouldn't be such an inexpensive thing to do after all :-X

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #322 on: August 11, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I actually thought about doing this and actually started looking. It pretty much confirmed i wont be doing a carded set. I really believe the prices are too high right now. I really didnt care which card the figure was on either but even ROTJ carded figures i was watching went for insane prices. I need to find soemthing else to go with.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 16, 2007, 02:34 AM »
These Baggie figures are fun.

In the last 3 weeks or so I've picked up:

• 8D8
  • B-Wing Pilot
  • Nien Nunb
  • General Madine
  • Weequay
  • Salacious Crumb
  • Klaatu
  • AT-ST Driver
  • AT-AT Commander
  • Han Trenchcoat
  • Threepio (Removable Limbs)
  • Han (Hoth Gear)
  • Prune Face
  • Emperor Palpatine
  • Max Rebo
  • Jabba's Pipe/Bowl (if that counts)

And I'm hopefully buying Chirpa, Rebel Commando, and Bespin Han from a local gun on Friday.  And hopefully they're all real.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 08:57 PM by Rob »

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 16, 2007, 10:24 AM »
My latest 2, a perfect Palitoy 65C free from any nasty yellowing, and a Tri Imperial Diginitary with a decent bubble for a trilogo.  It always makes me laugh when I see the £1.59 price sticker on the last 17: if only I'd known at the time  ;D

Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 16, 2007, 07:35 PM »
Very nice figures, thay look sharp Rob.  8)

I received this in the mail yesterday, Han Solo Hoth with moulded legs variation .  8)

Some paint loss & the holster is split at the top but better than nothing.  :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2007, 01:47 AM »
I'm new to that one Dale - what's different about it?  And how rare is it?

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 18, 2007, 09:56 AM »
The legs are moulded in tan plastic, not painted. I have been after one for a long time, not many pop up but when they do you are looking to pay $70. depending on the condition. I have seen the odd ones go for around the $200. range.

Han Solo Hoth Outfit

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 18, 2007, 09:04 PM »
My Weequay came...

Very nice condition, with weapon.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Dale, nice score on the molded leg Hoth Han. Since it's become apparent that this variant may be more readily available than previously thought I have started to slowly look for one. I went through about 20 in a bucket yesterday at a local vintage shop, thought I found one but my eyes were deceiving me.  :-\

I did get some nice pickups though at the shop for just a few bucks total...

Though hard to tell from the pic, the SW-78 C-3PO is absolutely GOLDEN. I've never seen such a sample in this or any other type of toy shop, had to get it. The Obi-Wan is the white-hair variant which marks another variant completed, though he doesn't have his saber.  :( And the Lando is an upgrade for my collection display. Previously, my childhood Lando stood in for the "w/ teeth" variant but I've been looking to get a better looking figure for that display. The childhood Lando has now moved into my Creature Cantina where many of my childhood figures are on display.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot