Author Topic: UGP - a Star Wars WORLD! - news thread  (Read 44178 times)

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - a Star Wars WORLD!
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2006, 06:51 AM »
I'd love to get in on this...I'm not old, but I could do some concept/design and possibly some figure production...I don't really know yet.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Joerhyno

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2006, 07:06 AM »
Now that it's been discussed a bit more, I too agree with not having a commissioned piece, I was thinking about it last night before bed and trying to think of a way it'd work, but it doesn't seem possible.

As for sand, I think that might be a rough one.. yeah, it could be easily transported, but it would be messy.. what about textured paint? I think that'd be more od something we could look at.. but first, we have to get settled in.. then all the small details should be discussed.
Make sure you visit, Good to go Customs.
Your one stop shop for 1:18th custom needs!

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2006, 09:50 AM »
I'd like to help out and send a few custom figures once we get this all smoothed out.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I dont think actual sand would be necessary.
Real sand would weigh too much and be a Bit(h to keep contained.
But styrofoam, can be shaped to be wavy and sparay painted and speckeld to
look like sand. 

While its cool we have alot of ideas being tossed about parts and figures, these thing in all reality are the last things to be done.

We should take the flow chart and fill in names as suggestions for who should do what.
Once we get the team leaders in place, then we should make a map, like Lord of the rings map, and mark out the terrortories.
Then get the concept art going for the design of each area.
Then after the areas are designed, then the structures/natural features should be solidified.  Then the inhabitants/vehicles.

Young or old, all sugestions should be considered. Some of us "Older" guys can make bad suggestions too. So dont let your age restirict your ideas.
Speak up if you think its a good one. The team leaders (whomever they end up being) will consider it and implement it or not.

I think we should all be offering help on all aspects. Not just a few figures here or a ship there.
There will be alot of stuff to be done.

Everyone should look at the flow chart and pick 3 areas that they would like to work on. SO when it come time for actual construction we dont have all people wanting to do the same thing and one area that is left to 2 people.
Also use the search feature here, at scum and look through old dios, ships, etc and make suggestions
as to who you think should do what. 
I think everyone should e-mail these to Phruby or his assistant and then we can get a good starting place.

Lets focus on oraganization first, then will get into the detail later.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Great ideas everyone. I've been laying low listening to suggestions and trying to figure out who would be a good group leader for each position that Ryan laid out. Nothing is set in stone yet but I hope to have something more firm tonight or tomorrow.

Anyway, here is the general layout of the diorama. The time period would be between ep3-4 (probably closer to 4 then 3). We would have an imperial garrison occupying a rather large city. Outside the city we would have wilderness (grass or sand would be cheap). On the other side of the board, we would have a hidden rebel base carved into a mountain. Inside could be a few ships and lots of rebels. I've asked Chewie to draw a very rough sketch of the landscape and layout for us to work off of.

I would like to start a little contest to name the planet. The idea is to name the planet and write a short background story about it. Add as much detail as you would like. Just keep it less than two typed pages. Email or PM the story to me by the end of June. I'll post all of the stories and let everyone vote on the best treatment. No prizes. Just the honor of having it as the official background history.

As far as paying someone for commissions, I think this will ultimately lead to really bad feelings among posters. We should all be treated equal with no special perks.

I'm also gave some thought about shipment of the customs. Basically, you all are responsible for shipping them here to Los Angeles and will provide return postage. Anything that doesn't have this will be considered a donation and posted on ebay for charity.

If you haven't already, please send me you real name and email address so I can get together a mailing list for updates. Also if you have preference tell me what type of committee or project you would like to work on. Great ideas everyone. Keep it up.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2006, 11:01 AM »
I started reading through all the posts, and have mor to catch up on but I like the direction this is going.  For older members, I didn't mean it in terms of how long anyone's been a forum member, but rather how much real world experience and responsibility one has had.  For example, someone that's been on their own for 10 years and has a career probably has more experiene than someone in high school.  It's not a knock on anyone, it just makes more sense.

On the sand thing... if you guys are against it, that's fine.  My theory is that it will be a lot easier to have a uniform terrain that way, and more feasible in terms of budget.  If we were to do that, someone local could pick up 3-4 bags of the stuff, and spread it out evenly over the main baseboard of the diorama.  If the diorama somehow has a built up frame or lip around the sides, the sand won't spill and won't be a mess at all.  At least not in my experience, I've done this with several dioramas and have never had an issue with it. 

I just think if we piece together a terrain, there were will open seams in it, and it will looks like a jigsaw puzzle, and honestly pretty fake.  Some sort of sand would cover it up and have a uniform texture, then we could add additional scenery to it.

Click below for some great reference pics of what was made at C2 -

http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/C2W/journal/04Diorama/00diorama01.asp

I guess they didn't use sand like I thought.  But they do have a uniform ground design which is what makes this look so good.

But looking at this pic, it looks like some sort of sand was added?

The more I look at these, for some reason, the more a fan-fic world seems like the way to go.  I would be tempted to make some sort of style like Mos Eisley, but with a more of a gray color tone to it. 

For complete coverage of how they did this, I think this link could be a very useful tool -

http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/C2W/journal/JournalMENU.asp

It might also be worthwhile to talk to Frank (Niub Niub) about it. 

I'll try doing a rough sketch of what is in my head this week, but feel free to tear it apart!!

I wonder how much of this might need to actually be created on location??

:)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 11:02 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2006, 11:05 AM »
So then we have decided on a Desert world. I was kinda hoping to do something like Corellia or Coruscant. Oh well. Desert it is.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2006, 11:11 AM »
It doesn't necessarily have to be a desert world at all, that was just my opinion.  I thought with the logistics it would be easier.  If people disagee, no problem!

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50 AM »
this seems like a great project and i would love to contribute. i have also just moved back to the southern california area so i'll be around to help, if needed.

the ideas are going a very cool direction. i like the idea of a desert type world, somthing that says dry arid climate and a harsh terrain, but it dosn't have to be typical desert color. we could do a dark brown or orangish color sand with yelloow mixed in or red and black, mabey a cross between tatooine and geonosis, with the idea of greay buildings that would make for some awsome weathering possibilities.

is this going to be an outskirt type town or a metroplois/city thing?
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2006, 12:04 PM »
i hope that we do something like corellia. it has slums and upscale neighborhoods. i am SOOOO against sand. i think that maybe an untaimed jungle or swamp, maybe a treacherous mountain range where some renegade jedis are hiding. NO SAND! its too messy. i want to lend myself out to helping with customs and dios. most likely dios. my parents don't even let me borrow money from them for fodder. they thimk i waste it. a fomecore dio is different. i can get sheets of it for 2 for a $1.let me know about any building design. i am in 7th grade know and was taking high school drafting classes in the 5th grade, but thats what a 154 I.Q. will get you. i have a small library on building design and construction.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2006, 12:06 PM »
I think some sort of outskirts town would be the easiest, that way with different people making different types of buildings, it would seem feasible that everything wouldn't be uniform in style.  And to me, a fan-fic world like in Galaxies gives us the most freedom.

As soon as I can, I'll make up some sort of rough sketch of what I envision; but again, don't be afraid to let me know if my idea looks silly, too bland, or too hard to do.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I've added a new thread to come with a background history and name for this planet.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Looking at the scale of that dio, and the fact that is just a town...
We are gonna need more pool tables  ::)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Skys the limit right now. We'll see what actually shows up in March and how many tables we need then.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2006, 05:55 PM »
I'll have to check on some things and make sure I have the time and permission to go along with this project...If my parents aren't too keen on shipping customs out, maybe I can work on logistics and concept design.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...