Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con 2016  (Read 22717 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2016
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 06:19 PM »
AT-ACT with removable BOX! Awesome.

Actually, it looks okay. No where near worth what they'll be charging, but...

The new troopers would be sweeet with articulation. More so than those duck troopers from Force Awakens, anyway.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 06:26 PM »
It looks like there might be some kind of action/Nerf feature on the AT-ACT.  I just looked at some of the Galactic Hunter pictures that Dan Curto reposted, and there's some sort of hatch on the nose of the AT-ACT.  Hmmmmm....
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Love the new 6 inch reveals. Glad to see Lando, Hera, Tusken Raider and the Royal Guard. Gives me hope we will see the Jawas eventually and probably the Gamorrean Guard. For a minute there I was thinking probably not.

I like the AT-ACT, would like to see it up close and personal. I think the app feature is a brilliant idea. This kind of interactivity is really where toys in general need to be to compete with iPads, video games, etc.

I like the figs shown. Love the troopers. SA versions will certainly come through Wally World though I actually have more 5 POA TFA troops than the SA mostly on account of bad paint apps and availability. Hopefully that gets better. Was hoping for more RO reveals today but you know this is way better than last year and I kind of like surprises anyways.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2016, 10:02 PM »
The AT-ACT is definitely an interesting toy...  Much more "fun" to my eye than the Falcon was last year.  I think this is a great idea though.  Having it actually walk, interactive with a smart phone...  These are definitely good ideas.

It's smaller than the BAT-AT was, so there's bound to be some pissed folks, and NERF or nothing will piss of some people.  It's a toy though, meant to be a toy, and played with, and I'm just shocked they didn't incorporate NERF stuff earlier to be honest.  It's a huge toy line for them.

I agree on SDCC this year Darby, that it was a generally better one than last year.  They touched on SA 3.75" which they basically wouldn't last year.  They touched on being aware of distribution issues...  That's all you can hope for at a thing like this.

Where they end up with that, who knows, but they have a nice smattering of "everything" and at least they DID touch on 3.75" SA too, so you got a little for everyone there.

Again, the big reveal was clearly (for them anyway) the AT-ACT, but the online community probably poo poo'd it some.  To me it's a cool toy idea.  Once I see one in action, if it works well I may actually pick that up.  A walking AT-AT is cool no matter what.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 02:51 PM »
After the small drips we've had at conventions the past few years, I thought Comic Con was surprisingly eventful. I loved the 6" figures shown, between Lando (!), the Royal Guard, and a Tusken, that covers a lot of my top wants for this line. Plus, I love seeing that Hera is getting made (and hopefully the rest of the crew), as well as Qui-Gon. All of them look pretty great, and I'll likely get them all.

Not a ton of 3 3/4" shown, as usual, but still some goodness with the Rogue One and Rebels stuff. It would be nice if we came to more of a middle ground on articulation, but I think this is just the future of the line at this point. Honestly, if the Black Series exclusives were easier to find, I wouldn't even mind a small number of SA collector figures each year, and continuing the main line as it is. Ditching the deluxe/armor up/whatever line and replacing it with the Black Series across all retailers would be even better.  I agree that the AT-ACT toy looks like a lot of fun. When I showed that to my daughter, she thought it was great and it **** to the top of the achristmas list. Plus, we've got the very well made big AT-AT from a few years back, and that's great.  I'm perfectly fine with this new era of Star Wars offering fun toys for the new generation, just like we had with the vintage line.

Would have been nice to see a bit more from Rogue One (the ultra secrecy with each new movie is going to get old quick), and it really doesn't seem like we will see much OT (or PT/CW) in the basic line anymore which is disappointing. That said, probably the best showing at a Con/Fair in quite some time.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2016, 09:34 PM »
So were the Hera A-Wing and new Rey Comic Con Exclusives or were they just being shown for the first time at Comic Con?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:47 PM by Rob »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2016, 03:06 PM »
They were and are completely sold out. Sorry.  :(

Nah, they were just shown for the first time.  :D There wasn't a 3 3/4" Star Wars SDCC exclusive.  I guess they'll be part of the next Midnight toy release fiasco.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:07 PM by Scockery »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2016, 03:10 PM »
Thanks. :)

The way the Nerdist ran their article left me thinking they were exclusive.  They wrote:

"HASBRO’S NEW STAR WARS TOYS COMING TO SDCC (EXCLUSIVE)"

And naturally... they just meant an exclusive reveal / story.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56 PM »
There's more updates coming to our image galleries... 

As I've said in past years, I really want to thank Darth_Anton for his hard work on this.  Plus, Anton got a Q&A in with Hasbro and they were pretty candid on some topics this year.  3.75" SA is far from dead to them, I'll say that.  But you'll have to stay tuned for the REST they were willing to share. ;)

But Anthony takes a TON of time out of his OWN time at this show, which is big, difficult to navigate, and increasingly complex to get into year in and year out.  He tries to help everyone get exclusives they want, me included on that list, and he's generous with his time and takes incredible photography (and even takes it in such a way I have minimal editing work to do!  Thank you for that!!!!!  lol).

He hits up everything we hope our fans/readers are interested in, and does his best even when the subject matter isn't up his alley.  He engages Hasbro professionally and respectfully, but asks them things that maybe are uncomfortable topics.  He's a great friend to have cover this show for us every year.

Again, keep your eyes on our galleries.  More updates incoming.  Between all our work and life schedules it's not always easy to do things quickly, but things are getting posted and we're happy to have the show covered once again! :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Thanks Jesse for the update, really looking forward to the QnA!

And hats off to Darth Anton - great guy and I can only guess at the efforts he has to go through to provide coverage. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Big time thanks to JD and Anton for all the con coverage.  Its easy to forget that this isn't anyone's day job.  Looking forward to the pics and added commentary!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 12:56 AM »
The last of the pictures have been uploaded that Darth_Anton snapped for us at the show...

Literally hundreds of pics to browse through.  Thanks so much Anthony!

I felt like this show had a little more for everyone at it than past shows...  Hasbro wasn't afraid to talk about things quite as much too.  It's weird how this just felt like a better SDCC than the last few have been.

Make sure you head over and browse.  There's a lot to look through, haha.  Trust me, I had to edit all of it. :P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Are those the baby AT-ATs grown up as tweens?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 12:01 AM »
Thanks for the thanks!  ;) It's always a pleasure. It's funny, I took well over 500 photo's just for JD this year and definitely feels like I still haven't gotten enough. There's just so much to cover and the photographer in me wants to get every detail.

Are those the baby AT-ATs grown up as tweens?

Lol! Good analogy. While I'm bummed at the size, I gotta say, the walking feature alone is pretty nifty.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 08:05 PM »
The part that's being under-reported is that the AT-ACT plays "March of the baby elephants" when it walks.  :D

Which is movie-accurate...because Disney felt Rogue One needed more whimsy.  :-X