Author Topic: 30AC Wave 8 - Attack of the Clones  (Read 48901 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC Wave 8 - Attack of the Clones
« Reply #15 on: March 9, 2007, 01:07 AM »
I was hopeful that we might get enough Outlander Nightclub patrons to build a decent diorama that might rival the Cantina, but it just isn't there.  And so much of it has to do with the movie.  Sure, there are some interesting aliens out on the streets as Anakin is chasing Zam Wessel, but once you get in the Nightclub the focus is almost entirely on Anakin and Obi-Wan.  The few patrons we do see are characters that we've already gotten figures made from.  Think about who they really cross paths with:

-Elan Sleazebaggano - DONE
-Ayy Vida - DONE
-Lt. Faytonni - DONE
-Ack Med Beq - DONE
-Lucas's daughter as a Twi'lek
-Kalyn Farnmir (who's really just in the foreground as Obi-Wan is waiting at the bar)
-R3-T7 (who you'll miss out in the street if you blink) - DONE

There really isn't the focus on the aliens that there is in the Cantina.  In the Cantina scene of ANH there is a whole series of establishing shots that show dozens of aliens mingling over drinks.  They get their own screen time and because of that they're burned into our collective memory from one of the great scenes in film history.  The Outlander is much different in that the story of chasing Zam has to continue and the scene can't casually cut away to all of the exotic club-goers.  It had to follow Anakin and Obi-Wan as they try to lure Zam Wessel out of hiding.  As a result a lot of the "scenery" went unappreciated.  Sure, there are some interesting looking characters that you might catch in a glance, but you can probably get a better look at them in the Episode II Visual Dictionary than you ever will in the movie.  Because of that I think that Outlander Nightclub patrons are going to have a hard time making it into the line.  I think the Lars family has a much better shot.

I, for instance, never did find the anthony daniels and ahmed best figures or elan sleazebaggano at retail as they were constantly sold off of the pegs here when they released.  I've heard that that wasn't the case elsewhere, but I had to resort to Ebay...

Hmmm.  I think this is attributable to a couple of things that you might not be thinking of.  First, those figures were released right around the end of the Saga Gold line.  And if history has shown us anything, it's that the last couple of waves of a figure line may be among the tougher ones to get.  I don't know if it's due to lower production numbers (Hasbro doesn't release those) or decreased orders at that point in the line, but this has been a pattern ever since the last waves of the EPISODE I line, and we seem to be going through the same deal again with the last couple of waves of The Saga Collection.

And then we have the holidays.  The wave you mentioned shipped around Christmas time, and at that time of year we're competing more and more with average folks for figures than at any other point in the year.  And parents sometimes will buy ANY figure just to have a gift to give.  So those are the more likely explanations for the scarcity of those figures in your locale.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2007, 01:33 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline my kind of scum

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 9, 2007, 11:35 AM »
I didn't even think of those figures releasing at the holiday.  I'm sure that had a good deal to do with it as well as coming at the tail end of the line.

I didn't even think of Kalyn Farnmir.  She would make a great figure.  Realistically, as far as single-carded figures go, I think you are pretty dead-on with your list.  I could argue others from the Outlander scene, but you've hit the nail on the head, I think.

Non-related sort of, there's a character that's barely seen outside the club as they run in - kind of a heavy-set guy with what appears to either be a long, slender third arm or a tail or something.  I always thought it was a pretty cool looking character, but you can't really get a good look...  Anyone know who or what this character is?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2007, 02:39 PM »
Sure, there are some interesting aliens out on the streets as Anakin is chasing Zam Wessel, but once you get in the Nightclub the focus is almost entirely on Anakin and Obi-Wan. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment.  There are more interesting aliens seen in the streets than in the actual Outlander Club... I'd like to see them add a few of those aliens into the mix.  They have very little screen time, but there is a shot of several aliens looking into the sky when they see Zam's speeder about to crash - they could probably create at least 2-3 fun aliens for a wave out of that scene.

:P

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: March 9, 2007, 03:38 PM »
Sure, there are some interesting aliens out on the streets as Anakin is chasing Zam Wessel, but once you get in the Nightclub the focus is almost entirely on Anakin and Obi-Wan. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with that comment.  There are more interesting aliens seen in the streets than in the actual Outlander Club... I'd like to see them add a few of those aliens into the mix.  They have very little screen time, but there is a shot of several aliens looking into the sky when they see Zam's speeder about to crash - they could probably create at least 2-3 fun aliens for a wave out of that scene.

BUT...if you were the guy at Hasbro who had their employment on the line planning this major retail line, would rather:

A Pick a Cantina or Jabba's Palace Alien
B Pick a Prequel Street Alien or Senator

Just curious

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 9, 2007, 04:15 PM »
If my job were on the line, I'd go with clone repacks.   8)

Actually, in that scenario if I had to choose between OT or prequel aliens, I'd probably go with something from the OT for sure.  But, I'd still pay some attention to the prequel aliens, especially anything from ROTS.

I would think there's quite a few aliens from the Boonta Eve Podrace they could make too.  but I think AOTC still has a lot of untapped potential in terms of aliens... there's a few Separatists that could really be nice addtions to the line.

I'd also look into dabbling into EU a bit with the aliens as well, such as the Quarren Warriors.  Here's a link to a couple cool customs of some as an example -

http://www.owenscustoms.com/squidheadssecondversion.html

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #20 on: March 9, 2007, 05:17 PM »
The Squid Head warriors would be pretty solid from the Clone Wars side of things, as would the Mon Calamari warriors, too.  It would be a good test of how deep interest in CW goes.

As for the Outlander scene, the choices are very limited to me.  There's nothing 'new' or singular.  There's interesting outfits and so on, but it's not a scene that was staged well.  The major players have been hit already and I think that pretty much covers it.  There are still lots of stuff I'd like to see from AOTC, the Lars obviously, but most especially the various Padme's, oh, and Dorme.   :)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 9, 2007, 10:43 PM »
As far as Attack Of The Clones goes, I really think that the most fertile new character ground is with the Jedi and the Seperatists.  You're going to reach limits very quickly with Clone Troopers and Battle Droids.  Many of the aliens on Coruscant aren't that memorable.  There are definitely the Lars family, some droids, Senators and Seperatists that might make decent figures, but their appeal is going to be very collector focused.  I think Hasbro can definitely do well with some of the Arena Battle Jedi, some Geonosians (Sun Fac was a great figure) and the occassional Clone Trooper release.  But I do see AOTC as kind of dead as far as new figures go.

Feedback

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 9, 2007, 11:27 PM »
Wow, those Quarrens are neat. You know the bantha TRU pack? Maybe it'd be neat for them to release like a nexu-tail type plastic purple worm mount from that episode (you guys do know what I mean, right?), complete with new Mon Calamari guy to ride it, 2 Quarren warriors, and swimtime Kit Fisto.  ;D

Anyway, off topic when we're talking about AOTC, but, sometimes i enter the whole Star Wars figure fantasyland and I have to get my ideas out...
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 12:14 AM »
If I had to do an AOTC wave for this year, I'd pick the following...

-Jedi...  new head and possibly hands, but use an existing body if possible to save money.  Essentially though, just try to use something you've got to give them something partially new.

-Obi-Wan...  SA resculpt, which could use, at least in part, Pilot Obi-Wan from 2005.

-"Dull" Alien...  A separatist/Senator type figure, or a "Street" alien.

-Clone Pilot...  Evolutions repack with slightly different decoration and perhaps a ball turret accessory, if possible to fit it in the packaging.

-SA E2 style Clone Trooper...  straight repack.

The best way to get those dull characters is to save money on the other characters.  Otherwise "random street Quarren", or neon Twi'Lek #3 from the Outlander are really iffy choices for figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 01:39 PM »
I'd like,

Po Nudo
Tikkes
Rogwa Wodrata
Gilramos Libkath / Rune Haako / Lott Dod or whoever he is.
Shu Mai's aide
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:40 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I'd like,

Po Nudo
Tikkes
Rogwa Wodrata
Gilramos Libkath / Rune Haako / Lott Dod or whoever he is.
Shu Mai's aide

whos Rogwa? pics?

and i think shu's aide has been done already.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 01:46 PM »
Here's Rogwa Wodrata

Here's Shu Mai's aide, she's different from Cat Miin.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 01:47 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 03:21 PM »
There's a whole wealth of figures to be made from AOTC.  Just finish off the Surviving Jedi from the Arena battle there about 4 or 5 more that haven't been made.  Besides also the obvious remakes of Zam, Jango, Obi-wan.  Also what about the 2 security officers aboard Padme's, her decoy that is, ship.  If we can get a Naboo soldier why not these guys beside they look cooler then him anyway.  What about Panaka in his uniform clothes as well and not the pilot version.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 11:30 PM »
There's a whole wealth of figures to be made from AOTC.  Just finish off the Surviving Jedi from the Arena battle there about 4 or 5 more that haven't been made.  Besides also the obvious remakes of Zam, Jango, Obi-wan.  Also what about the 2 security officers aboard Padme's, her decoy that is, ship.  If we can get a Naboo soldier why not these guys beside they look cooler then him anyway.  What about Panaka in his uniform clothes as well and not the pilot version.

I wouldn't mind Rogwa after seeing those pics.

And Panaka was in Episode 2?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 12:15 AM »
I think he's referring to Captain Typho.  We got him in his pilot uni, but not the formal uniform.  But then Typho was quite the pegwarmer in the more action-oriented costume.  Where is the benefit in getting him in a uni where he can be articulated even less when you combine that with his pegwarming history?

Feedback