Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 352332 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #990 on: August 27, 2009, 03:41 PM »
District 9 had its moments, but for the most part I left feeling like the film had so much unfulfilled potential.

Inglorious Basterds is, so far, the best movie of the year for me. Best movie I've seen in a while.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 27, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I saw Inglourious Basterds last night and liked it well enough, but it was lacking in some parts.  I didn't think it was as cohesive as Kill Bill and while individual parts of the film were good, how they were put together into a whole movie didn't work for me.

Plus, there was a lot of stuff that just seemed...left out.  I don't know how else to explain it.  The movie is called "Inglourious Basterds" but we didn't get enough of the actual Basterds in the film.  Half of Pitt's brilliant character was shown in the trailers.  I kept waiting for there to be more, and there wasn't.  It was good, but I liked District 9 better.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #992 on: August 27, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Yeah, not much action. Would have been nice to see how the Basterds operated as a cohesive guerilla unit.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 27, 2009, 05:52 PM »
How is the violence factor in Basterds?  While I've seen Pulp Fiction, there are parts that make me queezy (I'm a wuss).  I would never watch Resevoir Dogs for that very reason.  I'm just curious how those movies compare to Basterds.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #994 on: August 27, 2009, 07:27 PM »
How do you feel about dead Nazis getting their scalps cut off their heads?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21 PM »
How do you feel about dead Nazis getting their scalps cut off their heads?

I'm not sure how I feel about anyone getting their scalps cut off their heads... Sounds like I should stay away  ;)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: August 28, 2009, 03:25 AM »
My wife and I saw District 9 tonight, we both thought it was fantastic.  Very interesting storyline for sure.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 28, 2009, 04:29 AM »
I got around to catching The Hangover today, and I can't honestly remember laughing so hard at a movie. It deserves all of the praise and cash it's been receiving.

Also I'm looking at a list of some upcoming releases, and I'm wondering what everyone here is planning on seeing this fall. Nothing sounds too interesting to me at all, but there are four movies in particular that caught my eye:

- Zombieland: Fell in love with it when I saw the trailer before District 9. Woody Harrelson teams with Jules from Superbad and the dude from Adventureland to kill zombies.

- The Invention of Lying: Saw the preview with something, and although it seems like a ripoff of Yes Man, it has Ricky Gervais and seems promising.

- 2012: I was intrigued when I first saw the teaser last year but the newer trailers make it look awful. I'm a sucker for these disaster movies though so I'll end up seeing it.

- Avatar (James Cameron version): Doesn't look like it will live up to the hype the media is putting on it but I'll check it out anyway.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 28, 2009, 11:20 AM »
I'm kind of cool on 2012.  I thought it looked too over the top or something, I don't think I'll bother with it at the theater.

I will probably see Avatar, but I agree, I don't think it's going to be as good as the hype.  The summary I've read of the story sounds like it's kind of predictable and you're really just going for the wow factor of the new technology that Cameron developed to make it.  I'm fine with that, but let's be honest about why it's really getting hype; technology (possibly) over story.

I won't bother with either of the other two you mentioned.  I'm not really a zombie fan and I don't care that much for Ricky Gervais.

I will probably see Gamer next week and I want to see 9 when it comes out.  I don't know if I'll bother to see Jennifer's Body or Surrogates in the theater but I do want to see Whiteout.

New Moon looks good but if I see it in the theater I'll wait a couple weeks till the teen girls clear out.  Law Abiding Citizen looks good as does Sherlock Homes in December.

E...

"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #999 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59 AM »
New Moon looks good but if I see it in the theater I'll wait a couple weeks till the teen girls clear out. 

I thought the whole point of seeing New Moon was to check out the teen girls...

Films I'm looking forward to (pending decent reviews):

Surrogates - Big Bruce Willis fan.  Premise looks promising.
Zombieland - Looks absolutely fantastic.
The Princess and the Frog - Classic-style Disney animation... something we haven't seen in a long while.

That might be it for the theater.  I'd honestly rather watch the FX-heavy stuff on Blu-ray anymore, especially with so many films going 3D.  Don't like 3D at all. 
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: August 30, 2009, 12:23 AM »
I admit it.  I like the Twilight books and the first movie.  LOL!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 4, 2009, 11:11 AM »
I caught Basterds over the weekend. I don't think Tarantino knows how good the opening sequence is. It really sets the tone for a much more powerful, mature movie, which wasn't delivered, but I still loved it. And I gotta agree with an earlier sentiment that some material could have been cut out. I skimmed though the script again because I noticed a few omissions in the first place and have to say that I was impressed that the material that was cut stayed out. The movie didn't need it.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2009, 11:12 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 7, 2009, 05:24 PM »
A really positive review for "9" over at Newsarama.  Although I doubt we'll be able to get out to catch this in theaters, I do think it looks kind of spiffy/interesting, and look forward to catching it on DVD.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: September 8, 2009, 10:52 AM »
I read a quick review yesterday, might have been linked from IMDB, and the guy that wrote it panned the film.  Good to hear Newsarama liked it.  I plan on seeing it this week and may go to the opening night tomorrow.

E...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 8, 2009, 06:02 PM »