Author Topic: Galactic Heroes Thread  (Read 352102 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Playskool Galactic Heroes Thread
« Reply #855 on: March 5, 2008, 03:18 PM »
I'm curious, are very many of you seeing the Target exclusive sets (Endor and Mustafar) - or were the couple sightings we've heard of early leaks?  I know that Hasbro's slide show said a date of 3/23, however accurate that might be.  I know the Iron Man movie stuff is supposed to be hitting that weekend as well, so maybe there's a bit of an overhaul coming along with that.  I checked our local store yesterday, but didn't see any signs of anything there.  Our local WM did have the Falcon set though, which is spiffy and great for those who missed the earlier one.

I'm on the fence with the Mustafar set as well.  I'd like the Padme, and extra Shocktroopers are nice I guess, but I'm not sure if I can justify that set or not.  I haven't picked up any of the prequel "cinema scenes" so far, hopefully I won't regret that later on.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2008, 03:20 PM by Brian »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #856 on: March 5, 2008, 03:46 PM »
I'm curious, are very many of you seeing the Target exclusive sets (Endor and Mustafar) - or were the couple sightings we've heard of early leaks?  I know that Hasbro's slide show said a date of 3/23, however accurate that might be.

From what I understand, the 3/23 date is the next re-set date.  Like you said, lots of stuff hitting that weekend, so lots of aisle resetting will take place then not just SW.

Stuff that is being found now is most likely being "flexed" out early, either to fill shelf space or from people using DPCIs.  Definitely not a wide-spread thing around here for the Target sets.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 5, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Thanks for the info Jeff.  I won't go too crazy looking for these yet then, and hope that they'll hit that weekend instead.  Like I mentioned, I don't know if its like this everywhere or not, but these sets - particularly the Target ones - just fly off the shelves here, rarely lasting the day from what I've seen.  The TRU and Wal-Mart ones seemed to sit a little bit more, but the Target ones do seem to go fast.  I guess they've had the better sets overall so far though, so maybe that's why.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 5, 2008, 03:56 PM »
but I'm not sure if I can justify that set or not. 

It's so tough to swallow these it's not even funny.

But I'm a tool so I continue to buy - maybe this time I'll try to sell the extras and just be happy with the extra couple bucks I get for them...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 5, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Speaking of the scenes/larger packs, how many of these (the ones we know about anyways) are you guys in for this year?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vader and TIE Advanced

Arena Cinema Scene (Nexu, Reek, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme)

Dewback Cinema Scene (Dewback, Sandtrooper Rider, Sandtrooper x2, Han, Luke w/poncho, Garindan, Chewie)

Obi-Wan and R4-P17 with Jedi Starfighter (Clone Wars)

Millennium Falcon re-release (with Han, Chewie, R2, and 3PO) WM

Speeder Bike Chase (Endor Luke, Endor Han, Endor Soldier, Stormtrooper, Biker Scout, 3 Ewoks, 3 Speeder Bikes) Target

Battle on Mustafar (Obi-Wan, Emperor, Anakin, Padme, 3PO, Comm. Thire, Shocktrooper x4) Target

Rancor (with Luke and Gamorrean Guard) TRU

AT-RT (with Gree, Yoda, Kashyyyk Trooper, Wookiee Warrior) TRU
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, that's a lot of big packs this year - and who knows what will pop up towards the end of the year again.  I never would have guessed that the GH line would have gotten this far, and in some cases, this obscure.  I'm still enjoying it though.  As for me, I'll pick up probably all of the OT sets (Rancor, Dewback, Vader's TIE, Endor), and I'm on the fence with the Jedi Starfighter and Mustafar sets.  We'll see about the AT-RT and Arena scene ones.  I used to think I'd stick to OT-only with these, but that hasn't really ended up being the case.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2008, 11:10 AM by Brian »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 5, 2008, 05:57 PM »
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vader and TIE Advanced - Maybe

Arena Cinema Scene (Nexu, Reek, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme) - No, this one is ridiculous.

Dewback Cinema Scene (Dewback, Sandtrooper Rider, Sandtrooper x2, Han, Luke w/poncho, Garindan, Chewie) - Yes

Obi-Wan and R4-P17 with Jedi Starfighter (Clone Wars) - Probably (new ship with new figure)

Millennium Falcon re-release (with Han, Chewie, R2, and 3PO) WM  Unfortunately, yes.

Speeder Bike Chase (Endor Luke, Endor Han, Endor Soldier, Stormtrooper, Biker Scout, 3 Ewoks, 3 Speeder Bikes) Target  Regrettably, yes.

Battle on Mustafar (Obi-Wan, Emperor, Anakin, Padme, 3PO, Comm. Thire, Shocktrooper x4) Target  See above.

Rancor (with Luke and Gamorrean Guard) TRU  Depends on the price - most likely $25+.

AT-RT (with Gree, Yoda, Kashyyyk Trooper, Wookiee Warrior) TRU  See above.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a promise to myself for 2008 - no more basic figures - my only focus are the Galactic Heroes.  Maybe I should change that to only the two packs.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2008, 05:58 PM by ruiner »

Offline The Stolen CCG License

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 5, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I'm a tool, too, so I'll be buying everything except the totally repacked Falcon (thank the Maker for that, at least).  

The Nexu scene is going to be the most annoying for me, edging out Mustafar.  It kills me that they didn't see fit to squeeze a simple yellow AOTC Clone Commander repaint in there (or even a repack of the plain white one that never sees re-release, let alone repack).

Does anybody see a real difference between the AT-RT Wookie and Tarful?  I'll be stunned if we're totally free to ignore that 2-pack, but that's what it looks like to me.

Design-wise, I'm a little disappointed that they couldn't fit a 2-leg astromech into the Jedi starfighter... but I'm thrilled that regular Vaders and even the Tie Pilot (with his ridiculously designed Tayshaun Prince wingspan) look to somehow fit in that Tie Fighter.  Kudos.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #862 on: March 5, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Rancor and Dewback set all the way. I want the NExu so may go for that one. The other sets i plan to try to pick up the new figures on ebay.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 6, 2008, 09:46 AM »
By the way, I can't wait for Arena Scene 2009 - featuring Nexu, Aacklay, and the same 3 heroes.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 7, 2008, 11:12 AM »
This might be an obvious question, but are the scenes like the Dewback, Vader's TIE, Arena, and Obi-Wan w/Jedi starfighter just general releases?  I didn't see them labeled as exclusives to anyone, or heard it mentioned, but aside from the earlier Playskool releases, wouldn't these be the first larger/cinema scenes that were available everywhere?  I wonder if these will be hitting between now and the July 26th date (maybe Jeff knows)?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #865 on: March 7, 2008, 11:19 AM »
are the scenes like the Dewback, Vader's TIE, Arena, and Obi-Wan w/Jedi starfighter just general releases? 

They are not currently slated as exclusives.  (subject to the whims of Hasbro of course)

Since the ships are big new tools for the line, the plan was for them to be everywhere to maximize the return on them.

I wonder if these will be hitting between now and the July 26th date (maybe Jeff knows)?

They said "Summer".  They weren't sure if they'd get out before the 7/26 stuff or not...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 7, 2008, 11:20 AM »
Once again, thanks for the info Jeff, much appreciated.   You are a fountain of knowledge :).

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 8, 2008, 07:47 PM »
I picked up the Endor set today- I'm no ewok lover, but 8 figures and 3 speederbikes for $20 is a pretty great deal. And once again, they made a fantastic display in the box- Man I wish they would do some more cardboard mail aways with that kind of detail for the 3 3/4 line.

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 13, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Quote from:  Hasbro Q&A with JD
3. The Galactic Heroes shown at Toy Fair looked awesome. A dewback, a rancor, new vehicles - everything fans of the line have been asking for and more! However, you're not expecting us to believe 2008 is going to come and go without a GH version of Ahsoka (or any of the other characters from the new Clone Wars cartoon), are you? It may be a long shot, but is there any chance of an Asajj Ventress GH figure?

**Well now, we were hoping to leave some info for Comic Con but ya beat us to it. We can indeed confirm that at least one of these female lightsaber wielders will be out for Galactic Heroes. Exact timing is still TBD, but look for them on shelf by mid-Nov.

Thanks for asking my question, [um, Jeff?  Jesse?  Ryan? ]!  That's awesome news.  Next Christmas is shaping up to be a crazy time for Galactic Heroes releases. 

Kid talk:
My boys love these almost as much as I do.  The importance of them standing so easily on those enormous feet can't be overstated.  My youngest's new play pattern with them lately is bizarre:  Instead of being a god-like observer/orchestrater, he's been putting himself in the action.  He still barely talks, but he'll have himself get blasted by a battle droid and then collapse in a heap on the ground.  Very cute and a tad disturbing.  Never once has it occurred to me (or my oldest) to play like that with figures.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 13, 2008, 09:49 PM »
That's a pretty cute story about your son.