Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 241778 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #750 on: December 10, 2021, 03:44 PM »
I like the fire and forget aspect of preordering online, but it's not all sunshine and roses.  Sometimes, you have to preorder from Walmart and there's a good chance they are going to just put your nice, case fresh action figure in a mailer envelope and then proceed to drive the truck over it.  Amazon still has the chance of doing something similar. 

I do miss seeing new product on the pegs, but being married with kids, getting up to go on a toy run just isn't practical for me anymore.

About 50% of the carded figures I have ordered over the last few months from Amazon or Wal-Mart have come in CRUSHED. I also love the times when they mash the figures into a box that is obviously too small and the wrong shape all together.

Luckily I'm mostly in the same boat too, as I am mostly an "opener." But I do still prefer opening figures from a nice card and bubble that isn't all smushed. I like to cut the figure off the VTC cardbacks and save one of each cardback. I also buy the occasional extra carded figure. It's been hard to do that lately since the condition is just so hit and miss and I can't see it before hand, like I could in store. 

Otherwise, I am on the fence about the Online vs Brick and Mortar purchasing as a whole. There will always be a big part of me that is nostalgic for the days of going on daily/weekly toy runs to a few local stores. The excitement from finding new figures in the wild was one of my favorite things about the hobby, especially when it was something I was really after. I have hardly hard that feeling over the last 10 years or so as it got harder and harder to find ANYTHING at retail around me. That was part of what was driving me out of the hobby. I felt like I was wasting so much time and gas only to be constantly striking out. At the time online shipping was generally not free, and it was harder to justify trying to buy a whole case and having extras I might get stuck with.

Picking back up with collecting this year, online has been the only way to go. COVID has changed my retail vs online buying habits in general, and I have been favoring online orders more than I ever have. On top of that, I donated my car earlier this years since I WFH and barely needed to drive it over the last 3-5 years. I'm generally without a car M-F until my wife gets home from work. I never really get out to the stores like Target more than once a month or so. And even if they had anything to buy, I'd not be there often enough to find it. Online ordering has been a life saver. There are definitely some frustrations with it that I've noticed, so far, but I also am out of practice on some of this and don't have a good system back in place yet.

Personally, I liken this transition in the hobby to what we have seen with movie theater seating over the last few years:

I loved the old days when Star Wars, LOTR, or any other movie I was really excited about was coming out. The days of sitting in line to get a good seat. It was so much fun to hang out with fellow fans in line. I really miss that layer of excitement. Assigned seating kind of blew that up and killed much of the meta-event. It is just not the same as it used to be. HOWEVER, in many cases it is better. For any normal movie, I really appreciate knowing my seat going in, getting to see how full the theater is, and love using the extra time I would have used getting to the seats way early to spend more time at the bar/restaurant. At this point, while I miss things about the old days, it would be hard to go ever go back fully. But there is a small part of me that would not mind the occasional G.A. opening night showing.

I think the same is true for me with collecting at retail. In an ideal world for me, collection would be more of a hybrid than it is now. I'll still probably primarily buy online, but I'd love to be able to find stuff at stores occasionally and get that old rush again.
"This is the way."

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 24, 2021, 10:24 AM »
Question:
Let's say in 2021 Hasbro had released the same amount of brand new figs that they did. But instead of releasing X repaints they release X/2 or X/3 repaints. Is the outrage as high? Is there any imperical data that says Y repaints produced lessens new figure release by 1, etc?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:31 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 24, 2021, 01:29 PM »
Question:
Let's say in 2021 Hasbro had released the same amount of brand new figs that they did. But instead of releasing X repaints they release X/2 or X/3 repaints. Is the outrage as high? Is there any imperical data that says Y repaints produced lessens new figure release by 1, etc?

I guess I would hope that the more repaints they release would mean even more new figures.  I would think that they're subsidizing new figures in a way.  I guess if I did the math I wouldn't feel so bad, but it feels like we're getting a very large amount of repaint/repacks and very few new figures compared to years past. 

So maybe fewer repaints would make me feel better about the small number of new figures we've received, but I guess I'm okay with the number of repaints if we had gotten a lot more new figures to offset the Hasbro cash grab.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 24, 2021, 03:29 PM »
I was looking through what came out in 2021, and it's breaking down somewhat like this:

ALL NEW FIGURES - 16
REISSUES - 13
REPAINTS - 7
KITBASH / RETOOL - 6

I think those numbers might be soft, but that's what I got after a quick review.  While I got the sense that we got a lot in TVC, breaking it down it looks otherwise.  Hasbro drew on a lot of existing figures for this year's releases.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 24, 2021, 05:35 PM »
I was very happy with new releases for BS this year. Admittedly I haven't gone back and done any actually counting how many figs we got.
I was disappointed in the number of new TVC figs we got and Nick's math proves that.
But my brain separates the repacks from that. I just think of them as other stuff I can or can not buy.
I would like to see Hasbro take some of that extra repaint profit and put it into new tooling for sure.
I struggle with agreeing with a lot of people's complaints/ critiques but also very tired of that being such a large chunk of the posts everywhere.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 24, 2021, 05:43 PM »
Hard to analyze 2021 with any real accuracy when a bunch of stuff that they probably meant to get out this year is pushed into next year yeah?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 24, 2021, 05:48 PM »
That is a very good point Rob. I'm really curious how many 2021 items are now 2022 items.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #757 on: January 26, 2022, 09:45 AM »
Sorry to all the "Disney please take the license from Hasbro!" folks out there - Hasbro announces renewal of their Star Wars license.

And yes - Indy too.  I started up an Indy thread for folks to discuss/speculate on potential Indy stuff for 2023.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #758 on: January 26, 2022, 09:55 AM »
In all honesty, who else would get the license?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 26, 2022, 10:33 AM »
I've heard hints of a price increase coming in March... forget where I heard it but I thought it was Yak, but when I glanced at the homepage there, I couldn't find it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 26, 2022, 12:18 PM »
I wonder how long the renewal is good for…
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #762 on: February 24, 2022, 12:02 PM »
I don't want to beat on a dead horse...  but listening to the GI Joe live-stream today (or the Marvel live-stream earlier this month) REALLY highlights how much passion those teams have for their characters/products.  Emily and Lenny are awesome at their jobs and it shows.  The Star Wars team should be watching and taking notes...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 12:32 PM by Jeff »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 24, 2022, 12:26 PM »
I don't want to beat on a dead horse...  but listing to the GI Joe live-stream today (or the Marvel live-stream earlier this month) REALLY highlights how much passion those teams have for their characters/products.  Emily and Lenny are awesome at their jobs and it shows.  The Star Wars team should be watching and taking notes...

They're too busy rummaging through the corners of the warehouse to see what figures nobody wants that they can re-release...

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 24, 2022, 01:19 PM »
I don't want to beat on a dead horse...  but listing to the GI Joe live-stream today (or the Marvel live-stream earlier this month) REALLY highlights how much passion those teams have for their characters/products.  Emily and Lenny are awesome at their jobs and it shows.  The Star Wars team should be watching and taking notes...

They're too busy rummaging through the corners of the warehouse to see what figures nobody wants that they can re-release...

Someone mentioned elsewhere that it seems like all they are doing is rereleasing TVC 1.0 again.