Author Topic: Hasbro Q&A Sessions  (Read 307270 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Weekly Q and A
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I'm waiting on them to actually answer a question with something other than a variation of "Wait and see" or "Stay Tuned!" or 'Wow that's a lot of questions in one that we are going to deftly ignore!"   ::)

I can't remember who said it earlier in this thread, but I wonder what they're going to say (if anything) in the post-SDCC Q&As considering that at least half of their answers so far to things have been "Wait until SDCC."

They are toys, Hasbro, not classified government secrets.  The world will not implode if you say that the rest of Delta Squad will definitely be made and that a V-Wing and Sith Infiltrator are on the list too. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2006, 04:46 PM »
I'm waiting on them to actually answer a question with something other than a variation of "Wait and see" or "Stay Tuned!" or 'Wow that's a lot of questions in one that we are going to deftly ignore!"   ::)

Have you seen their new answer to questions about the whereabouts of specific figures? 

". . .we won't be able to answer specific questions like this in the future ("When is character X going to be made?" or "Will character X be made?") unless we are close to announcing a specific wave or product."

They used that canned-response no less than three different times this week.

Good stuff.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:50 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2006, 04:47 PM »
And it can't be a "Trade Secret"...Hasbro has an exclusive contract for 3 3/4 in Scale figures (and most other sizes too).  I'm sure there is a legitimate answer for it, but I it would take somebody with a business degree to explain it to me.

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I can't remember who said it earlier in this thread, but I wonder what they're going to say (if anything) in the post-SDCC Q&As considering that at least half of their answers so far to things have been "Wait until SDCC."

Well, Doc, they'll be saying "we'll answer that at Toyfare '07", followed by "We'll answer that at C4", followed by "We'll answer that at Nerd Prom '07*"

*San Diego Comic Con
"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Here, check this out:

---

Why does Hasbro not want to discuss specifics in regards to possible upcoming products when Hasbro has no competition for making Star Wars action figures? (SSG, 6/16/06)

Excellent question. We manage the flow of information for a variety of business reasons. One advantage to the plan is that we always have upcoming news and collectors don't get bored. When the public knows the line too far in advance, there's a tendency for items new to the shelf to seem old if the line list has been out there for months (case in point last Toy Fair, when our line list was well-known, and the criticism was that there was "no new news.").

---

Of course they don't have any direct competition or anything.  It's just that it's better for business to do it this way, because it keeps people interested.

I wish they'd blow their wad for next year's stuff, too, but that's just not how it works, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 05:12 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2006, 06:22 PM »
I wish they'd blow their wad for next year's stuff, too, but that's just not how it works, unfortunately.

Well (and this might be the only time I ever say this), Hasbro's answer makes sense, even if it is a bit frustrating to have them constantly avoid actually answering any of the questions the various sites are asking them. 

While I greatly appreciate your collecting everything in an easy-to-read and easy-to-navigate form, Matt, just going over the list it looks like the questions are becoming more and more repetitive and the answers are becoming less and less congenial (the "we will no longer answer questions like this in the future" comment comes across as really, "We ain't tellin' ****, so stop askin'" to my eyes).  With Hasbro basically saying they won't answer any questions regarding upcoming products specifically, I'm wondering what the point of asking them anything is at this point.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2006, 06:36 PM »
While I greatly appreciate your collecting everything in an easy-to-read and easy-to-navigate form, Matt, just going over the list it looks like the questions are becoming more and more repetitive and the answers are becoming less and less congenial.

Would you believe the list is just as much about keeping track of the all repetition (for both Hasbro and the different websites), as it is keeping track of any real news?  If it wasn't, I'd never have put all the similar questions and responses in there in the first place.

(By the way, anyone know if Hasbro has any plans to release any new playsets anytime soon?)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2006, 07:44 PM »
This Q/A thing is just supposed to show goodwill to the collecting community IMO.  Which is fine. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Oh, I think it's great--I honestly do.  It's literally been years since they last tried to have any kind of an open back-and-forth with the online collecting community (anyone else remember Jen@Hasbro?  No?  Well, that's how long it's been.)  So that they're doing this comes as a pleasant surprise, even if they've been less-than-forthright and redundant with their responses.  That's what's funny about it, to me--it'd be like a politician holding their own press conference, and saying "okay, go ahead, ask me anything," and then responding to most of the questions with "no comment."  What's the point, then?

But, the way I look at it, a half-assed effort is still better than no effort at all.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:06 PM by Matthew »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2006, 12:44 AM »
I think the half assed effort is a complete waste of our time to put it bluntly.  I understand some people have enjoyed it, but really don't think it's benefited anyone, which is too bad with all the work the various staffs have put into bringing news to the community.  Staffs and forum members have worked harded on this than Hasbro has in my opinion.

At first, I thought the whole thing was silly.  Then I had a change of heart regarding playsets, thinking if they shed some positive light in that direction, then I'd be happy to at least get some good news.  Now I am realizing once again that all this hype is just a red herring.

:)

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2006, 06:06 AM »
I like the fact that as each week progresses, hasbro tries to make the answers sound more human by responding with "Excellent question but, or interesting idea but....".  It's almost like talking to a customer rep. over the phone with scripted answers. ::)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26 PM »
If the staffs at some of these other sites would spend more time looking at what the other sites asked instead of if the other site was "flaming" them in the forums, we could actually get away from every week a question being asked about Playsets, Freakin Republic Commandos or the 2 film frame waste of plastic Tonnika Sisters, as many sites that there are asking questions, if there was some co-ordination, we could actually get some answers every week.  Ask the questions in a manner that "Wait till Geek-Con"  type answers are not possible.

I'm glad the staff here actually thinks before they submit the questions.

If I was the hasbro Janitor/intern that they let answer these questions, I'd give the canned answers too.  My stock answer would be this:

"The status of (insert Random Prequel Jedi/Clone/Alien/Pod Racer) has not changed since last week.  Thank you for your diligence and inability to accept my answers from last week, and the previous 3 weeks when other sites asked the same damn question.  Please ask the question again next week, as I am sure you will."

Has anybody thought of running with a series of questions with follow ups etc?  Almost interview style?  Alot of the answers that they seem to be giving have just begged for follow ups, if nothing else to pin them down to an answer, or let them talk themselves into a corner.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2006, 11:57 PM »
I think the half assed effort is a complete waste of our time to put it bluntly.  I understand some people have enjoyed it, but really don't think it's benefited anyone, which is too bad with all the work the various staffs have put into bringing news to the community.  Staffs and forum members have worked harded on this than Hasbro has in my opinion.

At first, I thought the whole thing was silly.  Then I had a change of heart regarding playsets, thinking if they shed some positive light in that direction, then I'd be happy to at least get some good news.  Now I am realizing once again that all this hype is just a red herring.

You're just bitter that they're not doing any $200, five-foot-long "Random Death Star Corridor" playsets. . .

« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 12:04 AM by Matthew »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2006, 05:12 PM »
The Hasbro QnA for JD from 7/7 has been posted:)

- Battle Droids and Flimsy Plastic?
- better accessories in 2007?
- a new Speederbike?

Again, just a reminder that Hasbro skipped two weeks (7/14 and 7/21) due to comic con so the next update should be on 8/4.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2006, 08:42 PM »
Great questions put forth by the JD readers, as always.  I'm finding the Battle Droid comment to be a little dubious though.  IIRC, the first Battle Droid to use the "thin and accurate" sculpting was the 2000 POTJ Security Battle Droid, and the plastic on its legs was fairly sturdy and not the rubbery plastic we're used to these days.  The POTJ Boomer Damage version was alright (plastic-wise; it was the pose that made standing impossible) and things went completely to hell when the Saga 2002 versions came out.

I think that, all things considered, a truly SA, high-quality plastic Battle Droid (with different ranks and interchangable backpacks and accessories) is rapidly climbing to the top of my want list along with that properly-scaled Grievous (and thank you to Jared and/or Matt for asking Hasbro about that at the SDCC, btw).

I think that a new Speeder Bike is a necessity in the 30th anniversary year, what with a "new" Endor Luke, the VTSC Scout Trooper, and the rumored V30AC(?) Endor Leia coming out.  Heck, throw out a single carded Paploo and there's 4 Speeder Bike sales right off the bat for some people.