Author Topic: The Official Space Exploration Thread  (Read 234591 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Official Space Exploration Thread
« Reply #615 on: June 29, 2008, 03:45 PM »
Pretty impressive work over the last 10 years, considering the shuttle was grounded for a while after Columbia.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 29, 2008, 04:15 PM »
On our Canadian Discovery channel tonight is the Ron Howard's documentary In The Shadow Of The Moon which was released last year & just an hr. before the show is Apollo 13: The Inside Story, 3 hrs. of space goodness.  ;D  8)

The ISS just towers over the Skylab. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #617 on: June 29, 2008, 07:48 PM »
You'll enjoy In the Shadow of the Moon.  We watched it last week and it was incredible.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 29, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Indeed Matt, the show was awesome. Made me feel like 8 yrs. old again watching Armstrong coming down the ladder. For a single moment, the world was in awe.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 2, 2008, 01:32 AM »
Phoenix Scrapes 'Almost Perfect' Icy Soil for Analysis

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander enlarged the "Snow White" trench and scraped up little piles of icy soil on Saturday, June 28, the 33rd Martian day, or sol, of the mission. Scientists say that the scrapings are ideal for the lander's analytical instruments.

The robotic arm on Phoenix used the blade on its scoop to make 50 scrapes in the icy layer buried under subsurface soil. The robotic arm then heaped the scrapings into a few 10- to 20-cubic centimeter piles, or piles each containing between two and four teaspoonfuls. Scraping created a grid about two millimeters deep.

The scientists saw the scrapings in Surface Stereo Imager images on Sunday, June 29, agreed they had "almost perfect samples of the interface of ice and soil," and commanded the robotic arm to pick up some scrapings for instrument analysis.

The scoop will sprinkle the fairly fine-grained material first onto the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer (TEGA). The instrument has tiny ovens to bake and sniff the soil to assess its volatile ingredients, such as water. It can determine the melting point of ice.

Phoenix's overall goals are to: dig to water frozen under subsurface soil, touch, examine, vaporize and sniff the soil and ice to discover the history of water on Mars, determine if the Martian arctic soil could support life, and study Martian weather from a polar perspective.

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander catches a glimpse of the "Snow White" trenches in the Martian arctic in this image released on June 20, 2008. Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona/Texas A&M University.

This image taken by Phoenix's Robotic Arm Camera on Sunday, June 29, shows the trench known as "Snow White 5." The trench is about 1.5-to-1.9 inches (4-to-5 centimeters) deep, about 9 inches (24 centimeters) wide and 13 inches (33 centimeters) long. Snow White 5 is located in a patch of Martian soil near the center of a polygonal surface feature, nicknamed "Cheshire Cat." The digging site has been named "Wonderland." Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/University of Arizona/Max Planck Institute.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 2, 2008, 03:59 PM »
Who knew? Solar system is 'dented,' not round

Artist's rendering depicts the Voyager 2 spacecraft as it studies the outer limits of the heliosphere - a magnetic 'bubble' around the Solar System that is created by the solar wind. Scientists observed the magnetic bubble is not spherical, but pressed inward in the southern hemisphere. Credit: NASA/JPL.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 18, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Video Sees Earth from Alien Perspective

This still from the video made by NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft shows the moon passing across the face of Earth. Credit: Donald J. Lindler, Sigma Space Corporation/GSFC; EPOCh/DIXI Science Teams.

Here are links to the two videos, one red-green-blue and the other infrared-green.blue.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 24, 2008, 09:58 AM »
So Mitchell finally saw Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.  :D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 28, 2008, 01:08 PM »
First Virgin Galactic White Knight II Photos

The first WhiteKnightTwo mothership sits on a Mojave, Calif., runway with designer Burt Rutan and Sir Richard Branson nearby. Credit: Virgin Galactic.

Huge WhiteKnightTwo will jet suborbital SpaceShipTwo to high altitude for release. Credit: Virgin Galactic.

Flight profile of WhiteKnightTwo/SpaceShipTwo suborbital system. Credit: Virgin Galactic.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 1, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Big news for the Phoenix Mars Lander...

NASA Spacecraft Confirms Martian Water, Mission Extended

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Laboratory tests aboard NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander have identified water in a soil sample. The lander's robotic arm delivered the sample Wednesday to an instrument that identifies vapors produced by the heating of samples.

"We have water," said William Boynton of the University of Arizona, lead scientist for the Thermal and Evolved-Gas Analyzer, or TEGA. "We've seen evidence for this water ice before in observations by the Mars Odyssey orbiter and in disappearing chunks observed by Phoenix last month, but this is the first time Martian water has been touched and tasted."

With enticing results so far and the spacecraft in good shape, NASA also announced operational funding for the mission will extend through Sept. 30. The original prime mission of three months ends in late August. The mission extension adds five weeks to the 90 days of the prime mission.

"Phoenix is healthy and the projections for solar power look good, so we want to take full advantage of having this resource in one of the most interesting locations on Mars," said Michael Meyer, chief scientist for the Mars Exploration Program at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

The soil sample came from a trench approximately 2 inches deep. When the robotic arm first reached that depth, it hit a hard layer of frozen soil. Two attempts to deliver samples of icy soil on days when fresh material was exposed were foiled when the samples became stuck inside the scoop. Most of the material in Wednesday's sample had been exposed to the air for two days, letting some of the water in the sample vaporize away and making the soil easier to handle.

"Mars is giving us some surprises," said Phoenix principal investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona. "We're excited because surprises are where discoveries come from. One surprise is how the soil is behaving. The ice-rich layers stick to the scoop when poised in the sun above the deck, different from what we expected from all the Mars simulation testing we've done. That has presented challenges for delivering samples, but we're finding ways to work with it and we're gathering lots of information to help us understand this soil."

Since landing on May 25, Phoenix has been studying soil with a chemistry lab, TEGA, a microscope, a conductivity probe and cameras. Besides confirming the 2002 finding from orbit of water ice near the surface and deciphering the newly observed stickiness, the science team is trying to determine whether the water ice ever thaws enough to be available for biology and if carbon-containing chemicals and other raw materials for life are present.

The mission is examining the sky as well as the ground. A Canadian instrument is using a laser beam to study dust and clouds overhead.

"It's a 30-watt light bulb giving us a laser show on Mars," said Victoria Hipkin of the Canadian Space Agency.

A full-circle, color panorama of Phoenix's surroundings also has been completed by the spacecraft.

"The details and patterns we see in the ground show an ice-dominated terrain as far as the eye can see," said Mark Lemmon of Texas A&M University, lead scientist for Phoenix's Surface Stereo Imager camera. "They help us plan measurements we're making within reach of the robotic arm and interpret those measurements on a wider scale."

This image released July 31, 2008, shows the current trenches dug by NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander in the arctic Martian surface, with future trenches mapped as untouched boxes. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UA/Texas A & M.

A laser beam from the Canadian-built lidar instrument on NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander can be seen in this contrast-enhanced sequence of 10 images taken by Phoenix's Surface Stereo Imager on July 26, 2008, during early Martian morning hours of the mission's 61st Martian day after landing. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/UA/Texas A&M.

Also in space news, well no one around in our neck of the woods saw this today but for those that did... lucky! Check out the links below for vid's of the event caught on tape.  8)

Americans Watching Full Eclipse in Siberia

Eclipse in Siberia

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 3, 2008, 02:00 AM »
Did this already get posted?  Is it legit?

Phoenix has Found Something More Compelling than Water: President Bush Informed

The speculation in the posts as to what it would be are a fun read...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 3, 2008, 06:53 AM »
Seems it might be legit, posted all over the net & the news.

Phoenix on Mars Life - Message From MECA

White House Briefed On Potential For Mars Life

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 3, 2008, 02:09 PM »
Neat. I hope whatever it is will get some more money pumped into science.

On a side note, one of the cool things that happened at Comic-Con this year was that I got to hang out with a guy who does imaging for the Spitzer space telescope at JPL. We was pretty psyched that someone actually new that there was another space telescope aside from Hubble.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #629 on: August 3, 2008, 02:43 PM »
Oh noes! Space bacteria. No immunity! I smell an epidemic on our hands  ;)