Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209879 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1455 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47 AM »

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: January 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »
Do not use a blowtorch on pipes or for melting ice outside.  ::)

Note to self: Don’t use blow torch to thaw pipes

Blowtorch bungler ignites home while melting ice

I had seen that story before. The guy lives in Massachusetts and had he just gone down to the closest hardware store and picked up a $10 (at the most) bag of ice melt he wouldn't have done $40,000 damage to his home.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Well so much for the above tepms we had, getting colder. A little snow last night & the wind is blowing anywhere from 39km/h to 54km/h with a temp of -15°C & with the wind it feels like -27°C. The highs will be in the mid teens & lows around the 27°C mark. No break till next Wednesday thus far. At least with the mild temps we had the snow has gone down a bit.   

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 22, 2009, 10:02 AM »
rumor is that we will be above freezing today. The weather has been nice the last couple days that my driveway is almost cleared off.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 22, 2009, 10:38 AM »
rumor is that we will be above freezing today. The weather has been nice the last couple days that my driveway is almost cleared off.

Hells ya.  Might even be a good day to mow the lawn.   8)  Seriously though - feels like summer out there compared to this -20 -30 ****.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: January 23, 2009, 03:12 PM »
I hate to tell you northern type people this, but yesterday it was 80 degrees here.  Today it's over 70.  But tomorrow we'll get a little "heat" relief when it gets down into the 30's again. ;)

Seriously, I feel for you guys who get just that blistering cold, wind, and snow.  I thank God I live in the south. 
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 23, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Seriously, I feel for you guys who get just that blistering cold, wind, and snow.  I thank God I live in the south. 

You get used to it.  I spent 17 years in Vegas.  It just makes you actually appreciate Summer - a season I always hated out there.  flip/flop   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1462 on: January 23, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Yeah, cold weather's not that big a deal really...  Like iFett said, you wind up getting used to it like you would the heat in the south.  Personally, I hate summer the most and the heat, as I feel you can escape the cold, but the heat is what it is...  You can only get so nude.

For me, having 4 distinct seasons is part of the charm of Pittsburgh (that and it's not flat.  I hate flat).  Summer gets old right around August, and Winter gets old right around the day after Christmas (maybe February).  You start longing for those warm days, but then you get them, and you drop the top, and life's good again. :)

Today we hit the 40's which was a heatwave compared to what we had, so that made for a nice day in the old mobile office.  Didn't hurt that work went smooth too.  Tomorrow...  Highs in the 20's, and the freeze is back on basically.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 23, 2009, 10:17 PM »
It's always interesting listening (reading) what people think of different regions of the country that they may have lived in.  I grew up in Abilene, TX and it's on the eastern edge of the desert that stretches from west-central Texas all the way to California.  I absolutely loved it out there.  Flat as could be, no smog, no traffic, hotter than hell and dry in the summer and usually mild winters with some nasty spells of really cold for several days at a time. (Nothing like you northerners though.)

Now living in the Dallas area I don't get that so much.  Hot/humid summers, mild winters and a long fall, short spring, and long summer.  I love the heat, just hate the humidity.

I guess to each his own.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 26, 2009, 11:03 PM »
Freezing rain tonight!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 27, 2009, 03:45 AM »
Not to bad here, -12°C right now & some flurries later with a high of -2°C. It's going to be just above or below zero this week, as long as we don't have the wind it will be nice.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 29, 2009, 05:31 AM »
We are expecting freezing rain today, joy.  ::)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 2, 2009, 11:55 AM »

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 2, 2009, 12:44 PM »
It was nearly 50 on Saturday and we had bellow zero windchill this morning. I so hate Mother Nature.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 2, 2009, 01:02 PM »
It was nearly 50 on Saturday and we had bellow zero windchill this morning. I so hate Mother Nature.

Blame it on Canada.   :(