Author Topic: Changing Collecting Habits? NEED ADVICE!  (Read 3685 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Changing Collecting Habits? NEED ADVICE!
« on: October 18, 2007, 10:53 AM »
A friend of mine has recently dipped his foot into the Kubrick market.  So I've been spending a lot of time looking at them and thinking... boy those little guys really are totally awesome.

I told him that there was NO way I would go into collecting Kubricks.  I just couldn't justify it.  I've invested way too much time and money into collecting regular SW figures.  I can't add on any other collectors lines.  It already costs too much money.

However, I got to thinking... what's the point of the 3&3/4 inch figure collection that I have building up dust in my basement?  There is just far too many figures for me to display - even if my wife would let me.  My son (8 years old) likes Star Wars but its not his favorite so its not like I'm just waiting on him to collect them too.  I'm seriously considering dumping 80% of my Hasbro collection in favor of keeping some of the other lines - specifically Kubricks, Sideshow, and Galactic Heroes.  I'd have to keep certain exlcusive figures from the Hasbro line and some of my favorite characters.  I'd probably keep enough figures to populate some of the dioramas I'd love to build in the future.  But I could easily get rid of hundreds (dare I say) thousands of dollars worth of stuff.  I'm sure it would please my wife if I curbed my collecting habits to something a bit more manageable.

If I did this, I think I might even be able convince here to allow me to displays from my toys - Kubricks and Galactic Heroes are much easier to display.  I think I can win that argument at home. 

In addition to virtually eliminating my 3&3/4 habit would also mean the virtual end of figure customizing - I've lost some of the spark for that already but this would put me over the top.  I definitely want to still finish the Photonovel that I started and provide closure to all readers of that but after that... all that would really be left is an occaisional diorama that I'd like to build.

Someone help talk me off this cliff or help push me over the edge...

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Collecting Habits? NEED ADVICE!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 11:09 AM »
You know where I stand on this topic as I'm the one that put you up on the cliff to begin with...  Consider this my official push.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 12:01 PM »
I was just recently thinking about starting a "changing collecting habits" thread, since it seems so many have been or are currently thinking about doing just that.  I guess I can't offer advice on your personal situation, since I'm not really a Kubrick collector - but I was mighty tempted at several points as well.  I was just too far away, and couldn't afford them, so I had to stay away.  I can definitely see the draw to that line though.  If you don't have any at this point, it would probably take a lot to catch up - but other Kube collectors here could give better advice than me on that I'm sure.

I'm interested too in the overall "changing habits" theme for many of us here at JD.  Some people have been selling off their collections - parts of them or nearly all of them - the past few years, and it seems like more people are thinking about it.  Its funny too, with this year's collection being maybe the best yet, but I think it might be a combination of the 10+ years of collecting for many people and the sheer number of releases this year that makes it tough to keep up on.  It almost seems like the majority of us here have to have much of our stuff packed away, because unless you have a seperate location like Sansweet, realistically you could never display it all.  What do you think is the factor for so many people slowing down or dropping out?  Is it age, the financial strain of trying to keep up, the sheer amount of crap stuff we all have jammed in our homes?  I know for some of us (myself included) Star Wars was a gateway to collecting other lines, which just compounds the spending/storing/displaying problems.  Anyways, good luck on your decision Brent, its always a tough one.  What is driving some of us away (from Hasbro primarily I guess) at this point?  Personally, I don't think I could ever stop - at least not totally - unless the line morphed into something unrecognizable to me.  As long as we get stuff like the VTSC figures (or even the basic line like this year) I'm in for some of it.  I just wish they would slow down the releases per year a little bit sometimes ;).

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 06:51 PM »
Sell all of the old crap you don't want & keep the stuff you want.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Keep the ultimate version of each Character. Sell the background stuff guys.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 07:31 AM »
Quitting Hasbro has seemed to be a common theme in the collecting community over the past two years.  To me, Hasbro is what brought me into Star Wars collecting and it is still my main focus.  I must admit, that I have breathed a sigh of relief of the loss of the Star Wars license by Master Replicas.  While I love their products, it has just become a drain on my wallet.  I also have a nearly complete Lego collection, which is also pretty pricey.  My only other higher end focus is the Sideshow 12" line, which has seemed to have calmed down in the past few months.  We only have a handful of figures still on preorder with nothing really on the horizon.

GG is of course another story, but it looks like they could be going down in flames due to their actions of the past year.  I probably have about a dozen GG busts, mostly acquired from amazon.com sales and Galactic Rewards points from the former MBNA credit card.

Kubricks are something that I haven't dove into yet.  I purchased the most recent wave from Jeff here on the boards.  I think they are neat, but to collect the backlog would take some time and money, especially to go after the chase figures.  I like the figures, but it is one of those things that are the back burner, like trying to finish off a loose vintage collection.

Ultimately, you should collect what makes you happy.  I can understand the desire to sell off items that aren't displayed.  I have had my 3 3/4" stuff sitting in boxes in my basement that I never got around to fully finishing.  I have just had a two story garage built and have been moving everything to the second story in order to finally display my collection.  All I need is to either purchase or build some display cabinets and I'll be good to go.  Sadly, the 3 3/4" stuff will take a backseat to MR for display, but after all the MR stuff is unboxed I plan to display all my 3 3/4" figures again.  At that point, I'll re-evaluate what I have.  For the figures, I collect one loose and one carded so I plan on doing a figure wall for the carded stuff.  I have also collected two of each for battlepacks, etc., but I may consider selling the boxed ones if I can't display them.  I think the only undisplayed, boxed items I would keep, would be my Hasbro 12" collection.

So anyway, I say if you still enjoy the 3 3/4" stuff like I do, then keep it, give it some time and try to envision how you would feel if you sold it all, but then decided you wanted it back.  Remember that a full wave of Kubricks will cost you about $80 which may or may not include the easy chase figures.  The one per master case chases are usually around $100/each.  On the plus side, they are easy to display and take up a lot less room, and there are a lot fewer figures available.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 10:29 PM »
Like many, I started "collecting" with the POTF2 line when I was in college in '95.  I collected all the figures up until the Saga line and then it was just too much.  I was trying to collect vintage stuff and modern and it was making me broke.  So I decided to just focus on modern/vintage Han and began selling off my modern stuff.  I sold it by collections, POTF2, EpI, POTJ, Saga and eventually got it sold off last year after two years of trying to get it dumped.  I then sold all my modern Han stuff because it was getting to be too much and now I'm almost exclusively vintage.  I still grab the micro busts and the occassional cool figure, but don't grab  much else.  I've since picked up a SS Bespin Han and the VOTC Han's and that's about it.  I can display all my loose stuff in two Ikea cabinets and have my MOC figures on my wall.

I say dump the stuff you don't like, can live without, look like dollar signs, or whatever.  Collect what you really like and dump the rest...it's just stuff taking up room in your house.

That's my .02 and coming from my expirience.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 02:34 AM »
Ultimately, you should collect what makes you happy.  I can understand the desire to sell off items that aren't displayed.  I have had my 3 3/4" stuff sitting in boxes in my basement that I never got around to fully finishing.  I have just had a two story garage built and have been moving everything to the second story in order to finally display my collection.  All I need is to either purchase or build some display cabinets and I'll be good to go.  Sadly, the 3 3/4" stuff will take a backseat to MR for display, but after all the MR stuff is unboxed I plan to display all my 3 3/4" figures again.  At that point, I'll re-evaluate what I have. 

I am definitely at the re-evaluate stage right now.  I spent the better part of the past two days trying to set up my collection room by displaying all my carded figures on the walls, then having some shelves for all the ships, with loose figures inside all of them.  Long stroy short, I've already run out of room with the carded figures on the walls, and still have figures to hang!  I've decided to only display the carded exclusives, fan-choice, and VOTC and then put up shelves for all the loose vehicles and playsets.  I have no clue what I'm going to do with the remainder of my carded figures which are all in protecto paks with the exception of my completer ROTS carded figures.  I may open some that I did not have doubles of, and I may end up trying to trade or sell them.

It's been a labor of love getting all of these, but with a possible baby on the way it definitely changes one's priorities.

I guess my advice to you Brent would do what you think is right.  If you feel that Kubricks is what you'd rather have, then go for it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 03:42 AM »
Yes, Kubricks are definitely some of the coolest SW collectibles out there, no doubt.  I'm not sure how much of the Kubrick section you've perused, Brent, but is it safe to assume that you're aware of the prices on the chase/variant figures?  Here is our almost up-to-date Kubrick checklist.

If you took up Kubricks, would you want to be a completist?  If so, you're looking at 11 different 1:96 chases that'll run you around $100 apiece, if not more.  Then there's another 3 figures that are 1:48 that'll run about half that amount, probably more.  Then there's another 5 that are 1:12 which'll be around $20 - $25 each.  The Early Bird set of 4 is about $130.  The 10+ carded Kubricks (7 of which are unique) will run you anywhere from $75 to $250 each.  Then there's the various boxsets (including $100+ Speederbike), etc.

My point is that if you're going to go completist on this line, be ready to drop some SERIOUS cash on it.  Yeah, each regular wave of 6 figures can be had for a paltry $40 - $50.  It's just all the other stuff that really adds up.  Just wanted you to know what you'd be getting into here...

They're definitely great though!  Lot of folks refer to them as "crack" around here, 'cause they're so damned addicting (and expensive).  Anyway, good luck wiith whatever you decide!

- M

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 09:29 AM »
I just been thinking about scaling back. The turning point for me was the repiant wave shown at Comic-con 2 years ago. 3-4 Armybuilders in that wave alone, and they were lame re-paints. Ever since then the question has weighed on my mind. I'd never want to completely stop, I'm a huge imperial fan and it makes me happy to add pieces to my battalion, so cutting the fat will hopefully make things more reasonable.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 10:46 AM »
There is just far too many figures for me to display - even if my wife would let me. 

I guess the first question you need to ask is what will your wife give you permission to display.  Otherwise, whatever else you decide to collect (Kubrick, Galactic Heroes, etc.) will end up collecting dust as well.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Yes, Kubricks are definitely some of the coolest SW collectibles out there, no doubt.  I'm not sure how much of the Kubrick section you've perused, Brent, but is it safe to assume that you're aware of the prices on the chase/variant figures?  Here is our almost up-to-date Kubrick checklist.

If you took up Kubricks, would you want to be a completist?  If so, you're looking at 11 different 1:96 chases that'll run you around $100 apiece, if not more.  Then there's another 3 figures that are 1:48 that'll run about half that amount, probably more.  Then there's another 5 that are 1:12 which'll be around $20 - $25 each.  The Early Bird set of 4 is about $130.  The 10+ carded Kubricks (7 of which are unique) will run you anywhere from $75 to $250 each.  Then there's the various boxsets (including $100+ Speederbike), etc.

My point is that if you're going to go completist on this line, be ready to drop some SERIOUS cash on it.  Yeah, each regular wave of 6 figures can be had for a paltry $40 - $50.  It's just all the other stuff that really adds up.  Just wanted you to know what you'd be getting into here...

They're definitely great though!  Lot of folks refer to them as "crack" around here, 'cause they're so damned addicting (and expensive).  Anyway, good luck wiith whatever you decide!

- M

I agree. Kubricks are great but HIGHLY addicting, I know this first hand. My obsession started about January of '06, around wave 4. In the beginning I wanted anything and everything. Overtime I got in WAY over my head and hust my savings a lot. Since then i've scaled back by selling off all of my exclusive box sets and chase figures. The only thing of value I kept was Indy. I learned to be very content with just the basic series. One thing i've noticed about Kub collectors is that die hards are not easy to come by. It seems to me that like myself, many people get in, get way over their head (which is easy to do) and eventually end up getting out. So whatever you do, just be sensible about it. For me, finding Kubs was a blessing in that I really love these pieces but at the same time it's also got me collecting more high end pieces. Before Kubs, I scoffed at the idea of a $100+ 12" toy but after easily spending more that on a single 3" piece of plastic anything else is more than reasonable now...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:12 PM by Madcow »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 12:40 PM »
Lot of folks refer to them as "crack" around here, 'cause they're so damned addicting (and expensive).

Addicting, yes, but expensive?  No.  Crack-cocaine is one of the most-affordable narcotics on the streets today.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Amanaman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Trust your gut. It's usually right. It seems like you want to clear out the un-displayed Hasbro stuff, so go for it. Use that cash & space for more important things. Always save money for those intangibles, like going out on a good date with your wife.

Take it from someone who's been there, and collects various lines, SW and non-SW. There's no need to "quit" Hasbro(though I've cut down drastically on it). I recently bought Elis Helrot and the new Bossk & IG-88, and they're the best versions of those characters for decades to come. What remains are my absolute favorite, cherry-picked figures. There are even a few vintage figures in there. No need to be all-or-nothing, only Sith lords collect in absolutes. ;)

What do you want? Imagine as concretely as possible, what shape you'd want your collection to take. Don't let the hype-machine influence your decisions, play by your own rules.

Forget completism. You'll never have it all, and in the long run, you probably won't want to. There's always something cool in the horizon that'll make you want to shove your "less desirables" off the shelf to make room!

Survival of the fittest. Let your shelves be a canvas. Don't let inferior pieces bog down your vision.

Healthy speculation. Another key trait in collecting is to develop a good eye for what's going to be 'rare' in the future - not for scalping, but to save yourself from paying one! Now, this pertains more to the high-end stuff, like Kubricks. It means the difference between paying less now, or several hundred later. For Kubs, it's probably best to order them early, especially by the case, if you want chases.

Of course everyone has different tastes and strategies, but one thing we all have in common is having to balance limited resources: money, space and time. Balance them more to your favor, and get what you want.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 07:08 PM by Amanaman »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 03:26 PM »
Thanks for all the great feedback.  I've made my decisions and I can live them.  I'm keeping the stuff that I like the most and getting rid of everything else.  I just put a HUGE portion of my collection up for sale in the classfieds first and then slowly move it to eBay.

I'm definitely going to enter the Kubricks Market.  I don't know where I'm going with it.  I don't fancy the idea of spending $100+ on chase figures but I suppose only time will tell.