Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 131746 times)

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #270 on: July 28, 2006, 09:24 AM »
And here is a pic I saw on the GNR boards:

from L to R: Chris Pittman, Brain, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Dizzy Reed, Richard Fortus, Bumblefooot
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2006, 04:43 PM »
At first rumored but now confirmed, Axl Rose will be a presenter at the 2006 MTV VMA.  Any hopes that he says something about the U.S. tour or the album release date?  Possible interview with him by Kurt Loder before or after the VMAs.

Great, now I actually want to know what happens, if only for Axl.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2006, 10:05 PM »
At first rumored but now confirmed, Axl Rose will be a presenter at the 2006 MTV VMA.  Any hopes that he says something about the U.S. tour or the album release date?  Possible interview with him by Kurt Loder before or after the VMAs.

Great, now I actually want to know what happens, if only for Axl.

Make a couple of slight changes, and you have a reply that could have been written four years ago.

Don't fret, though, fans, the album's really coming this year. 

Really.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:45 PM by Matthew »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #273 on: September 1, 2006, 09:38 AM »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #274 on: September 1, 2006, 10:25 AM »
So says the first post in the thread

So have you had to go back, the last couple of years, and strike through the previous year and replace it with the new year?

Good stuff, indeed.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Today marks fifteen years since the last full album(s) of original Guns N' Roses material was released.

In that time. . .

. . .Izzy Stradlin released six albums
. . .Slash released two albums
. . .Duff McKagan released two albums
. . .Velvet Revolver, featuring Slash and Duff, released one album, and is working on their second
. . .Stephen Adler released an EP

. . .and Axl Rose has officially released one song.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 02:49 PM by Matt »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #276 on: September 23, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Looks like The Axl Rose Band is playing some show tonight which will be webcast (webcasted?) here.  They're scheduled to go on at around 10:00 Pacific, so midnight Central.  But, this being Axl Rose, it'll probably be much later than that even, because he's just cool like that.

Interestingly, Muse is scheduled to perform an hour earlier.  So that'll be worth checking out, at least.

"Come for Muse, but stay for The Axl Rose Band.  Maybe."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #277 on: September 25, 2006, 02:27 AM »
Welcome to the desert: Axl & Co. rip it up

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The KROQ Inland Invasion in the desert east of Los Angeles may have been an all-day affair Saturday, but by the time the dust settled early Sunday morning, there was only one band that mattered.

Yes, the summer-ending festival hosted by America's trend-setting rock radio station featured many of the boldest and brashest bands of the modern rock movement, but when headliner Guns N' Roses took the stage shortly before 11 p.m. at the Hyundai Pavilion, everything old became new again -- and everything new on the bill, well, just couldn't hold a candle in comparison.

Make no mistake, Axl Rose knew the magnitude of the night's show, and few in attendance could argue that the iconic Guns N' Roses frontman didn't rise to the occasion. No, his vocals weren't pristine, but they never were. And topping a bill that featured as much screaming as it did singing, they didn't have to be.

With the pacing of the show impacted by the at-times illogical progression of bands, the day's preliminary highlights had been scattered. Buckcherry's gritty, glam-rock explosion would have been better suited prior to Papa Roach's punk-powered, radio rock riffs, as opposed to working between the hardcore screaming and emo teasing of Atreyu and the punk rock uprising of Rise Against. Muse benefited from playing after the sun had set, but other bands would have benefited more, as the back-to-back billing of the unassuming, prog-flavored U.K. power trio and the dark and dreary (though well-received) return of Alice in Chains resulted in a notable letdown in energy prior to the night's marquee attraction.

It would have been fitting for Avenged Sevenfold to have taken the stage immediately before Guns N' Roses, but the spacing between the Orange County heavy metal revivalists and their heroes served them well, as it gave the crowd ample time to forget just how similar its latest single "Seize the Day" was to Guns classic "November Rain." Papa Roach boasted the daylight's most anthem-heavy return to arena-rock splendor, frontman Jacoby Shaddix's over-the-top charisma offering a power-packed counterpunch to the memorable set of 30 Seconds to Mars, whose art house approach to hard rock opened with the band -- fronted by actor Jared Leto -- marching through the crowd with an army of flag-waving fans before taking the stage in China doll masks and ninja-white get-ups.

But the night belonged to Guns N' Roses. When the house lights dimmed a scant 45 minutes later than the scheduled set time and the opening shards of "Welcome to the Jungle" pierced the packed pavilion and shoulder-to-shoulder lawn section, the mood became manic.

The 19-song, 130-minute set featured all but three of the tracks from Guns N' Roses' classic debut "Appetite for Destruction," as well as four new songs. While Rose's ever-evolving band has become a punching bag for cynics, tonight they lived up to the band's storied past.

Lead guitarist Robin Finck injected a personality to rival Slash, even if his guitar tones sometimes strayed slightly from the originals (most notably during "Patience"), and keyboardist Dizzy Reed jazzed up "Night Train." One of the night's most memorable performances was "November Rain," which featured Rose on piano at center stage and Finck and guitarist Richard Fortus trading leads.

Former Skid Row frontman Sebastian Bach joined Rose onstage to tear through "My Michelle," and received a notably louder ovation upon his introduction than Linkin Park frontman Chester Bennington, who joined Alice in Chains for their signature "Man in the Box." The Inland Invasion may have been a long way from the Sunset Strip, but the rock stars still ruled. Even the almighty KROQ couldn't have planned that.

YAHOO.com

I listened to the entire show last night (and watched occasionally), and I gotta say, it was pretty good.  Axl sounded alright, and the band did a fine job backing him.  I haven't been keeping up with the setlists, so I was suprised to hear a couple of the songs--"Live and Let Die," "You Could Be Mine," and a guitar solo version of "Don't Cry."

But the show just reinforced something I said here a while back--this is nothing more than a glorified tribute band.  Sure, they can play, and they sound pretty faithful to the originals, but all they're doing is playing a bunch of songs that the other guys wrote twenty years ago, along with a few that Axl and some other guys wrote five or ten years ago.  To me, it's more of a nostalgia act than anything else--just like those ****** Seventies and Eighties bands like Styx and REO Speedwagon who have maybe one or two of the original members left and travel around playing bowling alleys and county fairs to people who are desperate to relive their high school days for an hour or two.  On a much grander scale, of course. 

Axl really needs to stop what he's doing, and work on getting the album out--and then he can go back out on the road with the new guys and play more of those "new" songs for people--instead of a bunch of stuff from three decades ago.  Until that happens, this is still just a nostalgia act.

(By the way--Christmas is exactly three months from today.  That's thirteen Tuesdays.  He's leaving himself an awfully short window to get the album finalized, manufactured, and shipped, if he expects to have it out before 2007. . .)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 25, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Axl/GNR is just like Metallica - they keeping holding on even though they've gone way past their prime.

Essentially, they're in it for the money and the fact that they don't know what else to do.

Other bands (AIC, Soundgarden, RATM) appear to make music because they are musicians at heart and often end too early.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2006, 03:38 PM »
If Axl was in it for the money we'd have a dozen GnR albums by now.  He's super-anal about his art, and really couldn't care less about the money.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2006, 04:08 PM »
If Axl was in it for the money we'd have a dozen GnR albums by now.  He's super-anal about his art, and really couldn't care less about the money.

That's a good point.  I don't think he's all about the money, either. 

IIRC, he actually got together with the old guys (who he won't have anything to do with, otherwise) and sued Universal to stop the release of the GN'R Greatest Hits disc a few years ago.  It came out anyway, and has gone on to sell at least two or three million copies--and I still don't think any of the original members are happy about it, from what I've read.

Compare that to Alice in Chains (who I really like)--they've released a couple of hits albums (one just a few weeks ago), a live album, the Unplugged album, a box set, and now they're touring again with some new singer.  Cantrell even refused to do an encore at one of their first shows last week because he wasn't happy with the venue's sound system.

Now, how much of this is record companies looking to cash in, as opposed to band members, I don't know.  But, I can think of dozens of acts who I'd consider as money-grubbers before Axl Rose, or even Metallica.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 25, 2006, 04:47 PM »

That's a good point. I don't think he's all about the money, either.

OK, then the other half of my statement is correct - he doesn't know what else to do!

I can think of dozens of acts who I'd consider as money-grubbers before Axl Rose, or even Metallica.

LOL - a band greedier than Metallica?  Well, maybe KISS....

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #282 on: September 25, 2006, 04:53 PM »
OK, then the other half of my statement is correct - he doesn't know what else to do!

Now that, I can agree with.  I said this a few pages back, but he knows that the material isn't all that good, because he knows how important the old guys were in writing the old stuff.  But since he just had to keep the name (which was probably more about money than anything), he has a lot to live up to--and he knows the new stuff never will.

LOL - a band greedier than Metallica?  Well, maybe KISS....

I don't think they're that greedy.  I think they're a bunch of dickheads, but I don't think they're all that greedy.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 25, 2006, 05:02 PM »
One word - Napster.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Yeah, there's the whole Napster thing (and I think that's something they even admit was a mistake these days), but other than that, they've just never struck me as a particularly greedy band.  Their ticket prices have always been fair (AFAIK), and they haven't repackaged and released their older albums a bunch of times like some other artists have. 

When I think of greedy bands, I think of groups like the Eagles (who I hate) or the Stones (who I love).  Ridiculously overpriced concert tickets, and all kinds of album re-releases and compilations and such.  Bands who milk their fans for all they're worth--because they know that many of them skew older and have more disposable income to part with.