Author Topic: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club  (Read 131739 times)

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the Jungle Gn'R Fan Club
« Reply #345 on: February 7, 2007, 05:49 PM »
Today marks Axl's 45th birthday, but more importantly, it's also one month away from Chinese Democracy's "release date" of March 6.  And with a month to go, nobody's seen the cover art, nobody's seen an official track-listing, and none of the major e-tailers I checked even have pre-order pages up for it yet.

So. . .  it's not looking good for a March 6 release for the album.  In fact, I'll go ahead and call it now--Chinese Democracy won't see a release until at least April 3.

Why April 3rd?  The first Tuesday in April, a month later?

I will agree with your comments above.  Considering Axl said the album needed proper time to be promoted and such, not hearing anything from GNR since the original  statement leads me to believe the album will not come out.  Hell, I say "not come out" versus "postponed".  The day the album actually hits shelves is the day I'll believe it.  Nothing Axl, GNR, or Geffen can possible say will make me believe other than seeing the actual album at retail.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 7, 2007, 11:15 PM »
Yes!!  April 3rd!! I can't wait!!

Chinese Democracy is gonna be awesome, I just know it!!
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #347 on: February 8, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Why April 3rd?  The first Tuesday in April, a month later?

Yeah--just speculating, really.  When If the album is delayed, I'm thinking it'll be a longer delay rather than a shorter one--and I actually think that an April release is a little conservative.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it pushed into May or June, if not later.  But, you never know, anything could happen, and we could be listening to it a month from now.  So, who knows?  (Actually, one person knows--but he's not telling.)

Yes!!  April 3rd!! I can't wait!!

Chinese Democracy is gonna be awesome, I just know it!!

You guys are always so excited to hear all the details on the new album--you should really think about signing up for my "Can You Believe Duff Quit the Band?/New Album Updates!" weekly ListServ, which I've been faithfully maintaining since 1998.  I mean, all the basic news gets filtered down here, but all the juicy stuff's in the CYBDQTB?/NAU! newsletter. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2007, 10:24 AM »
You guys are always so excited to hear all the details on the new album--you should really think about signing up for my "Can You Believe Duff Quit the Band?/New Album Updates!" weekly ListServ, which I've been faithfully maintaining since 1998.  I mean, all the basic news gets filtered down here, but all the juicy stuff's in the CYBDQTB?/NAU! newsletter. 

Signup for a newsletter?  Why?!  You are our GNR coorespondant, MATT!!! ;D

Two weeks until March 6th?  Chances of the album still being released on that day??

"Slim and none.  'Slim' just left town and 'none' is enrolled in the Eyewitness protection plan."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Signup for a newsletter?  Why?!  You are our GNR coorespondant, MATT!!! ;D

Because, like I said, the newsletter has all the juicy. . .  aww, **** it, there is no newsletter.   :-\

Two weeks until March 6th?  Chances of the album still being released on that day??

Yeah, I don't think so.

Someone from another forum I read was saying that the album is done and is currently in the mixing stages and should be released in May sometime.  I don't know where he got that information, so I'll assume he's just speculating, too--but, at any rate, I think it's safe to say that the album won't be out on March 6.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2007, 11:23 AM »
Feb. 22, 2007 - 'Chinese Democracy' update

The good news is that all of the recording for the album has been completed. Drummer Frank Ferrer and guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal integrated themselves into the recordings seamlessly and will have their presence felt.

There is no official release date, as the band is currently mixing, but after some delays and scheduling difficulties, things appear to be moving along.

Take care,
Del James

Also, a couple of UK sites (HMV and Play) are listing the album for an April 2 release--which would be an April 3 release, here in the states, if it pans out. . .

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2007, 01:17 PM »
I bet that money I sent Mr. Rose motivated him to finish this recording as fast as he could, so I could then send him more money by buying 2 copies of the new CD, to show there is no hard feelings!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 24, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Feb. 22, 2007 - 'Chinese Democracy' update
Also, a couple of UK sites (HMV and Play) are listing the album for an April 2 release--which would be an April 3 release, here in the states, if it pans out. . .

Oh, hell yeah!  I can almost feel my fingers unwrapping the CD!  April 3, baby!  It can't get here fast enough!  I'm frickin' stoked.  Chinese Democracy ("CD") is gonna own!

I wonder if it'll come out on vinyl the same day....
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 26, 2007, 05:45 PM »
OT - I discovered a cool track I hadn't paid attention to before - Estranged.

Totally forgot I had Illusion I and II....

Just thought I'd share that...

:D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #354 on: February 27, 2007, 03:48 PM »
While we're on the topic of sharing things:

Chinese Democracy crap

It's not the album, but instead, a bunch of live and studio stuff.  Some of it, you've probably heard before; some of it, you probably haven't.  I know there were a couple songs in there that I'd never heard before.

I hope this stuff gets a whole lot better for the actual album. . .

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02 PM »
While we're on the topic of sharing things:

Chinese Democracy crap

It's not the album, but instead, a bunch of live and studio stuff.  Some of it, you've probably heard before; some of it, you probably haven't.  I know there were a couple songs in there that I'd never heard before.

I hope this stuff gets a whole lot better for the actual album. . .

Thanx for sharing.  Sorry I don't have anything for "Show & Tell" today.  :P

What didn't you like about it?  I'll download this when I get home tonight.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #356 on: February 28, 2007, 12:53 AM »
What didn't you like about it?

I'm not much of a critic, but to me, it's very generic-sounding, both lyrically and musically, and Axl sounds terrible in much of it.  There are some decent songs, I suppose--but only because there has to be:  "Better," "There Was a Time," and (despite the horrid title) "The Blues" are okay.  But overall, if the finished album sounds anything like the stuff here (some of which is several years old), I'd have to ask:  Sixteen years since the last album, and this is what he's got to show for it?  I hope I'm wrong, and I hope the album's great, but I gotta admit--I'm not setting my sights too high.

Side note:  Wilco released the cover art for their new album today--an album which isn't due in stores until the middle of May.  If that's any indication of the lead time for these things, Chinese Democracy could be even further off than we thought.

Side-side note:  I was reading the other day that Velvet Revolver (remember them?) is prepping their new album, Libertad, for a May/June release.  If I've said this before, I'll say it again (and if I've never said it at all, then here it is, for the first time):  I'd love nothing more than for VR to get their second album out before Axl's first.  How awethome that would be.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 28, 2007, 11:51 AM »
I'm not much of a critic, but to me, it's very generic-sounding, both lyrically and musically, and Axl sounds terrible in much of it.  There are some decent songs, I suppose--but only because there has to be:  "Better," "There Was a Time," and (despite the horrid title) "The Blues" are okay.  But overall, if the finished album sounds anything like the stuff here (some of which is several years old), I'd have to ask:  Sixteen years since the last album, and this is what he's got to show for it?  I hope I'm wrong, and I hope the album's great, but I gotta admit--I'm not setting my sights too high.

What do you want or hope the album sounds like? 

I didn't get a chance to download this last night, so I'll try again tonight.  While I really like songs like "There Was A Time" and "The Blues", I hope the album (if it is ever released) is not filled with slower-tempo songs like those two.  I really like "Better" and the raw, in-your-face sound it has.  "I.R.S." is also good, but not as heavy.  If the album is filled with songs like "T.W.A.T." and power ballads, I'll still like it but won't be blaring it on my stereo too often unless I'm in a tired, calm mood.

Give me an album with songs like "Better", and I'll be happy.  Either way, no matter what comes out, everyone will call it a disappointment.  Nothing can live up to the myth or hype.

As for Velvet Revolver, I have their first album.  And it is a good rock album, but I never liked the polish sound it has.  Slash's riffs are best suited for a hard rock sound, and Weilend's vocals have become very laid back.  I am big STP fan, but ever since the 2nd album (Purple?), Weilend's vocals have been anything but Hard Rock.  That being said, "Interstate Love Song" is one of my all-time favs!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 28, 2007, 03:14 PM »
"There Was A Time" is really starting to grow on me. "Better" and "I.R.S." are great as well. If this is any indication of what the finished album sounds like, sign me up for 1000 copies!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 28, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Hey guys, some of us are waiting until April 3.  How about a spoiler alert?  >:(
"Really?  Sorry."