Author Topic: Dark Tower  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Dark Tower
« on: April 13, 2004, 06:57 PM »
Anyone in these fine forums a fan of Stephen King and his works, especially the dark tower series?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Dark Tower
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 12:45 AM »
To be brutally honest, I don't think I have ever read a Stephen King book...my wife has read most of the older classics and raved about The Green Mile series.  Never really got into King even though a ton of my friends read It, Tommyknockers, Cujo, The Stand etc when we were in Junior High

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 01:00 AM »
i'm half way through book 2 right now as a matter of fact... just started re-reading the dt series so that i can catch up before i read book 5. that's my biggest problem with this series... it takes so damn long for the next book to come out, that when it does, my senile mind has forgotten what went on previously...

i've read every book king has written. most more than once. without a doubt, my favorite author. favorites are it, the stand, the shining, misery, and salem's lot. and of course the dt series.

i think king's best work, tho, are his short stories. that man can scare the crap out of me in less than ten pages...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 01:18 AM »
I'm a fan of King (and Peter Straub for that matter).  Like Dave, I'm currently re-reading them.  I have a thing for that intermediate size between the initial hard cover and the small paperback that I'm waiting for in Canada.  For some reason, all my DT books are that size.  

Personally, I find the series absolutely fascinating.  My wife hates both the aforementioned authors though, because she doesn't have the patience to work her way through the background and detail to get to the scary parts.  

I suppose my faves are the DT series, The Talisman and The Stand.  

Straub is equally good, IMO at scaring the pants off you.  

From the horror genre though, my favorite author would have to be Slade.  A Canadian author that bases all the books out of Vancouver and all have an element of the RCMP to them, he (they, actually) is very adept at causing you to sleep with the lights on.  

I have a pile of King and Straub books that I would happily trade away for something or just sell for a buck or buck and a half plus the shipping, if anyone wants.  I'll keep my faves, but sell the rest.  I know it's probably cheaper to pick them up locally, but hey, it's just an offer.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:45 AM »
I have a good size collection myself of Kings book, with my favs being the stand, and it, both of which i have read three times.

Of course my all time favorite is the DT series of course already read 1-5 twice. So im pretty much ready when the last two DT books come out this year.

Song of Susannah - June 8th 2004

The Dark Tower - November 2004