Author Topic: Civil War Reenacting  (Read 3322 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Civil War Reenacting
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 01:38 PM »
That's pretty cool.

I once worked with a couple guys who actually bought an old tank off of ebay to use in their re-enactments.

Offline Talon_Karrde

• Jedi Initiate
  • NO! This one goes here; and that one goes here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 04:56 PM »
We're glad you posted it.

So, this is the big question on my mind - who won the skirmish, and were you a casualty?

the battle of New Market was one of the many skirmishes that the CS won. the battle was turned when cadettes from the VMI (VA Military Institute) marched 85 miles (over 1000 cadettes back in may 15 1864) to win the battle for the CS.  No i wasnt a casualty, i was to pumped to take a hit ;D
This is my avatar. Talon Karrde

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 05:31 PM »
besides, the Union is very picky about the unifoms your wear,

AIn't that the truth...  I was Union with a regiment out of Kittanning, PA up here...  This hobby, like all others, is littered with ******** who will do their damndest to ruin your "good time" if they possibly can...  Beware the maroons.

I got out of it because of that...  I moved on to F&I War re-enacting, and while there's a lot of snoots in it too, there's a lot of positive people...  Generally the Indians and Colonials/Militia.  YOu get into the Brit regiments and French regiments though and they're a bunch of jags to you at events.  Particularly the Brits, as I was in a Scottish Light Foot regiment, which basically were like Wild Scots with loose dresscodes...  They adopted Indian atire readily and the Indians respected the Scottish Light Foot regiments a bit more and accepted them almost as another tribe.

It was cool because I had equipment that ranged from an Irish Hilted Broad Sword for an Officer's sword all the way to a Tomahawk as well as two muzzle loading weapons.  When we'd show at the bigger reenactments though, we got lots of hell from the prim and proper British regiments in their fancy expensive uniforms...  We'd have bone buttons on our red jackets, they'd have brass and polished, and they'd argue that we're not "proper" in our uniforms...  Some would even refuse to deal with us actually...  The French were usually a little better, but the guys in British uniforms almost always had a problem with us...  Especially if they had Blackwatch with them.  Ugh.

Still, I had fun with it, and it was a lot better experience for me than the Civil War re-enacting was...  That got to be a chore, especially because I was really young at the time.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Every time I think how much I spend on Star Wars stuff, I have to think back to how much I have spent on WWII and Nam re-enacting...Makes the action figures look like pocket change.

It is more fun than it looks, less "kooky" than TV/Hollywood makes it out to be and no matter how many times you call it "this battle or that battle, you wife/girlfriend will call it "Playing Army" or "Frat Part with Automatic weapons"

Here's the last one I made it to:

I am in the commander/gunners hatch of an M113 ACAV.  It beats walking. I'll see if I can find some of the WWII ones.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 07:36 PM by Paul »