Author Topic: 25th Anniversary Line  (Read 199391 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 12, 2007, 01:15 PM »
I've got some Flag points left....DoctorPadawan..if you want, you can snag one of my extra Docs. It says you can get 3 more for Flag points, and at last count, I had 200 still...

That's extremely nice of you, Paul, so thank you in advance.  :) 

I'm definitely going to be getting the Hawk/Scarlett pack (for Hawk), the Breaker/Destro pack (for Breaker), and the Dreadnok pack (for both Torch and Ripper).  Have any of the other packs been confirmed?  I didn't know if the Wild Weasel pack was one of the 25th-style packs or one of the TRU exclusive comic three packs (like the Lady Jaye and Cobra Trooper three packs I keep seeing locally), but if it's the former, I'll definitely be in for one of those.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2007, 11:24 PM »
Here's a few pics from Wave 6:

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:25 PM by Neal »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2007, 12:54 AM »
Battle Armor CC?

Hell.

Yeah.  ;D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #528 on: November 14, 2007, 01:20 AM »
WooHoo!  Torpedo.  He was one of my favorites as a kid. 

Oh, and ANOTHER Snake Eyes...who would have guessed?  Afterall, kids only want Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Duke.  Right?   ::)

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #529 on: November 14, 2007, 07:42 AM »
That Torpedo is sweet as is Rock n Roll.  Was never really a big fan of the armored Cobra Commander but that he looks good too.  Pass on Snake Eyes.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #530 on: November 14, 2007, 07:50 AM »
I think that is the same Snake Eyes as the wave 5 one.  Oh well.  Rock N Roll Rocks!!, I would have preferred that they make some short sleeves for him, but I'll take what I can get.

Torpedo was my very first figure with Swivel Arm...he will be army built...we need V1 Eels now...

CC Cobra Commander...I had the figure as a kid, but never really used him in my "Battles".

It looks like the Deck of Cards is proving to be quite prophetic.

Weren't Wild Bill and Major Bludd rumored in this wave?  Also, did you notice that BBTS has them listed for a January release?

I have to say though that I like these 25th figs enough that I may purge the RAH Collection and 50% of the 12 inch collection to make room for them (and the Indy figures)

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #531 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I think that is the same Snake Eyes as the wave 5 one.  Oh well. 

It is.  It's being repacked in the Wave 6 case (along with others).  I guess it just "slipped" into the pic.
 ;)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #532 on: November 14, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Wow....This line just continues to floor me.  Battle armored CC was actually in heavy use in playtime as a kid.  I remember always misplacing his airhose - same thing with the Emperor's cane.  Drove me nuts trying to track it down all the time.  Torpedo is another great choice...Don't think I ever had RocknRoll though, but I welcome him.

I think that is the same Snake Eyes as the wave 5 one.  Oh well. 

It is.  It's being repacked in the Wave 6 case (along with others).  I guess it just "slipped" into the pic.
 ;)

Why does he look black then?  Both of my Snake Eyes are grey colored.  I'd really like true black versions.

**EDIT - looks like I overlooked the fact that black SE is in w5  :-\
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:15 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #533 on: November 14, 2007, 06:42 PM »
That Battle Armor CC is awesome. Wonder if it'll include the Fred CG head.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #534 on: November 15, 2007, 08:46 AM »
That Battle Armor CC is awesome. Wonder if it'll include the Fred CG head.

What's this Fred stuff all about??  I never got into the comics.   :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2007, 06:13 PM »
What's this Fred stuff all about??  I never got into the comics.   :-\

The following is a quote from the Wikipedia article on Cobra Commander.  All of this takes place in the Marvel comic book, and was the first appearance of Cobra Commander's Battle Armor:

Cobra's agents spread throughout the world, overturning or subverting unstable third-world governments, and becoming an international threat. Eventually, Cobra became so large that Cobra Commander could no longer control it on his own and created a "High Command", which included Zartan, Baroness Anastasia DeCobray, the Scottish arms dealer James McCullen Destro, and Australian mercenary Major Sebastian Bludd. This dubious staffing led to frequent power-struggles within the organization and ultimately the Baroness and Major Bludd enacted a plot to assassinate the Commander.

In a twist of fate, they recruited Billy to carry out the assassination, but he was intercepted by Destro before he could accomplish his task. Cobra Commander had become such a rabid megalomaniac by this point that he had no qualms about torturing his own son, yet Billy refused to surrender any information identifying who had sponsored the hit. Such tenacity impressed Storm Shadow, so he freed Billy and they both escaped to New York, where Storm Shadow trained him in ninjitsu. Billy was later caught in the crossfire between the Soft Master (Storm Shadow's other uncle) and Cobra agent Scrap-Iron, when the car he was driving in exploded.

It was during this time that both Cobra Commander and Destro were trapped underground, presumed dead, and were forced to work together to make their way back to Cobra. Cobra Commander is shown here as an average-looking American with a beatnik image evinced by a pony tail, beret, green-spectacled sunglasses and a slender mustache — a motif that resurfaced on subsequent occasions when he was seen without his mask.

It was during this cross-country trek with Destro that Cobra Commander learned of Billy's fate: though he survived the explosion, he had lost a leg and an eye, and lay in a coma ever since. Unnerved by the tragedy, the Commander took responsibility for Billy's condition, and promised to be a better father. Seeking out the Crimson Guard Fred VII, a mechanical genius who built Billy a new robotic leg, the Commander set up shop in Denver, where Billy eventually awoke from the coma. Fitted with a mechanical prosthetic leg by Fred VII, Billy unwittingly stumbled upon the Blind Master (yet another Arashikage ninja) and Jinx (Storm Shadow's cousin). Seeing that Fred VII had constructed a suit of battle-armor for Cobra Commander, who was once again plotting to take over the world, Billy walked out on his father. The incident left Cobra Commander to reflect on the folly of his ways, but Fred VII was so angered to see his commander throwing away what he had dedicated his life toward that he shot Cobra Commander in the back, apparently killing him.

Unaware that he was being watched, Fred VII buried the body. It was exhumed by another Crimson Guardsman, Fred VIII, who discovered that Cobra Commander was not dead after all, and managed to revive him. With Fred VII masquerading as him in Cobra, the Commander began to form a new organization in secret. When Dr. Mindbender went to Cobra Commander's supposed grave to harvest DNA for the genetic creation of a new leader, he instead discovered the empty grave.

Cobra Commander took that opportunity to return to Cobra, this time even more maniacal than before, filled with rage and unwilling to harbor any traitors (real or perceived). His first act was to imprison those who had betrayed him: Fred VII, his partner Raptor, Firefly, Dr. Mindbender, Zartan, Billy, and numerous Cobra troops, all of whom he had buried alive within a volcano on Cobra Island. He relinquished all traces of morality and humanity, and rebuilt a new command infrastructure by instituting a brainwashing program to compel allegiance from those around him, including repeatedly brainwashing Destro, The Baroness, Zartan, Storm Shadow and Billy.

Basically (and this was not at all portrayed in the cartoon), the Crimson Guard all had the identity of "Fred" in their real lives and were stationed like one-man sleeper cells across the nation, if not the world.  When the real Cobra Commander seemingly wavered in his commitment to Cobra, one of these Crimson Guardsmen, Fred VII, shot him in the back, left him for dead, and got inside the new Battle Armor as the actual Cobra Commander.  The Baroness was the only one who knew the truth initially, as she was the only member of Cobra who had seen CC without his mask and when Fred VII was confronted, he had to let her in on his plan. 

Hence, long story short, that Cobra Commander in Battle Armor figure we all (or more of us, myself included) loved so much wasn't actually Cobra Commander, but a disgruntled Crimson Guard in disguise, and like several others, the real CC threw him in a freighter and tossed them under a mountain where they all died a happy death due to botulism. :)

And the real Cobra Commander, to my knowledge, never donned the suit past the one "test phase" in Fred VII's garage, before Fred VII "killed" him. 

Tomorrow on "Why Do I Remember This Pointless ****?": Ripcord is dating a chick in a bear suit?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Very informative...Thanks Michael!  :)

I had the original blue CC as a kid but I lost him in a move, so BA CC was all I had to take charge of Cobra in the late 80's before I got out of toys.  I never gave Serpentor too much time "in control" for some reason.

That was a good read...Much much more adult themed than the cartoon was - obviously.  Very interesting to hear the story of Fred.  I always compared the Crimson Guards to SW Royal Guards as in being very loyal to their leader/commander but this was obviously not the case here.  Does it mention why CC even needed a suit of armor?  I seemed to have forgotten what his file card read.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Does it mention why CC even needed a suit of armor?  I seemed to have forgotten what his file card read.

I don't have the original file card handy at the moment, but I do recall it saying something along the lines of him wanting to be at the front of the battle, leading his troops into victory as opposed to sitting behind the scenes allowing someone else to fight for him.  In the comic, the suit was basically stated as something that Fred VII had built as a "gift" of sorts for CC should he ever meet him; CC bringing Billy to Fred VII to build him that replacement leg gave him the opportunity. 

I'd actually go so far as to say that Fred VII was loyal to Cobra Commander to the point where his loyalty went to what CC originally stood for.  When CC intended to walk away from it, he became an enemy in Fred VII's eyes to Cobra's cause.  Of course, CC didn't die, came back and locked Fred VII and the traitors in a freighter and buried them under a mountain, and did exactly what Fred VII was loyal to in the first place, so I guess it all evened out in the end.  ;D

And yes, as one of my friends who is a lurker here knows all too well, I really consider the Marvel comics to be the "real" Joe continuity.  None of the slapstick crap from the cartoon, none of the Cobra-La nonsense, and Cobra is treated as a true threat and not some bunch of crazy parodies of said threat. 

(Hi Dave!)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #538 on: November 17, 2007, 01:28 AM »
I never really liked that Cobra Commander figure as a kid, it just seemed too futuristic.  But this version I dig for some reason.  Maybe I'm looking at is as Star Wars custom fodder.

Rock-N-Roll looks AWESOME.  I loved that figure as a kid, one of my all time favorites.  I want a few of him and do head swaps with a few other Joes because I prefer my Joes to be more generic as it seems more realistic.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #539 on: November 20, 2007, 01:00 AM »
Carded Flash!

Front

Back

Nice to see the back of the card looking so full. It's really starting to remind me of the vintage style now.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk