Author Topic: Building My Own Deck - Photo Journal  (Read 13099 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Building My Own Deck - Photo Journal
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 03:03 PM »
Awesome. I wish my dad would have been like that.
Consider yourself VERY lucky to have such a good dad. Especially one who's willing to work on the one day dad's are honored specifically.

He's great.  I know that he and my brother didn't have the best relationship while he was growing up and I think that once I finally showed up my dad had learned a lot from his interactions with my brother.  He was a stern father, but he taught me to be accountable for my actions and always do my best.  I'm extremely greatful to have him.

I am assuming from the way they look that the post caps have a light in them?

Yeah, they are solar lights.  I really didn't want to run electrical to the deck, especially after hearing the stories of what happened to BrentS's neighbors.  The lights throw off just enough light to define where the railings are on the deck, but it's not enough light to read by or anything.  This was the first time I had seen anything like that as well.  I ended up getting them at Lowes if you're interested in getting them for yourself.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:09 PM by I Am Sith »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Well, for all intents and purposes, it's done!  I still have some very minor things to do before it's really finished (adding spacers under the railings and putting gravel under the deck), but I'm not going to bother taking any additional pictures once I'm done.  Here it is:

It was a lot of fun to build, but I'm glad it's done.  Hopefully now I'll be able to enjoy it!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 08:41 PM »
That's a thing of beauty. Congrats on its completion.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Nice work.  So when you gonna help me rebuild mine?   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 12:30 AM »
Very impressive. 

Someday when I'm out of the condo game and have a house, you can build mine too - I pay in VOTC Stormtroopers.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 08:01 AM »
The deck looks great!!!

Want to come replace my deck???  ;D
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2008, 08:22 AM »
So when you gonna help me rebuild mine?   :D

Someday when I'm out of the condo game and have a house, you can build mine too - I pay in VOTC Stormtroopers.

Want to come replace my deck???  ;D

While I can't say that you're the first ones to ask for my assitance (I have three neighbors that have already stopped over and asked for planning/building advice), the more offers I get the more I'm tempted to do this as a part-time gig...

Thanks for all the complements, I appreciate them.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2008, 09:49 AM »
oh man....i guess i didn't notice in the earlier pics that brick work skirting the underside of the deck...noticed the columns, but not that skirt.   That is just incredible looking.  You really went all out on this.  Gorgeous work!
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Simply awesome. Great job on this. It's nice to see in progress shots too so we see how it's all done along the way. From beginning to end excellent work!
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50 AM »
most impressive, but you are not a contractor yet!. just kidding, very beautiful. pat on your back.are those common houses in your area? I've never seen houses without fences. must be nice to be able to trust your neighbor...
He's no good to me open

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50 AM »

Wow Sith that is really great, thing of beauty.  
Now that you're finally done can you let the dog come out and play he looks like he's missed being outside or something.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 11:52 AM »
That looks fantastic.  Excellent work on your deck.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 12:53 PM »
are those common houses in your area? I've never seen houses without fences. must be nice to be able to trust your neighbor...

Yeah, we are all part of one sub-division/association.  The only people that are required to have fences are the ones that have pools.  Eveyone else, it's up to you whether or not you want one in your yard.  We personally do not because the family behind us has three boys that are about the same ages as my two boys, so they are always running back and forth from yard to yard.  We don't want to close that off.  Thankfully, our dog knows her boundries as well and she doesn't go in our neighbor's yards unless we are outside with her...  The new neighbors to the west of us have a Lab puppy though that is always running around in everyone's yards, so I have a bad feeling that they are going to have to put up a fence sometime this summer...

Now that you're finally done can you let the dog come out and play he looks like he's missed being outside or something.

Yeah, she was locked up a lot of the time while it was being built just so that she didn't fall off the end while the railings were still being put on.  She's a lazy dog anyway; she only does a few laps around the yard before she lays down in the grass and falls asleep.  It is pretty funny though seeing her laying on the deck too; she likes laying in the sun, so now she's always spralled out on the deck.  I'll have to take a picture of her and post it in the pets section...

Thanks again for all the compliments everyone!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Beautiful Deck. It turned out amazing. That is gonna be one durable SOB with that artificial wood.

It is pretty funny though seeing her laying on the deck too; she likes laying in the sun, so now she's always spralled out on the deck.  I'll have to take a picture of her and post it in the pets section...

Thanks again for all the compliments everyone!

My Dog does the exact same thing.