Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 249992 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #870 on: April 21, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Some people are speculating that the Night King is/was a Targaryen due to the numerous times he's used the spiral (ala Umber) like the Targaryen crest and that's why he was able to ride Viserion.  I guess we'll see.

I'm not sure about Bronn.  Is he truly a mercenary or does he have a warm spot in his heart for Tyrion and Jaime (or just Tyrion)

As for the Dead Pool, I'd go with
Alive
Jon Snow
Sansa Stark
Bran Stark
Daenerys Targaryen
Missandei
Drogon
Rhaegal
Tyrion
Yara Greyjoy
Bronn?
Podrick Payne
Brienne of Tarth
Samwell Tarly
Gilly
Dolorous Edd
Tormund Giantsbane
Meera Reed
Lyanna Mormont
Davos Seaworth
Sandor Clegane

Dead
Arya Stark (I think Jaqen comes back to return a favor)
Jorah Mormont
Grey Worm
Varys
Daarui Naharis
Viserion
Cersei Lannister
Jamie Lannister (I know there was a prophecy in the books that said Tyrion would have to kill his brother a second time... of course they've deviated from the books before)
Gregor Clegane
Qyburn
Theon Greyjoy
Euron Greyjoy
Night King
Ellaria Sand
Melisandre
Robin Arryn
Gendry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:19 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 22, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Gendrya shippers pretty happy today.  :D

Have enjoyed the character interactions over the past two episodes, I feel like they are trying to give some of these people some measure of closure before killing them off. Or maybe just reminding you why you should care when they die. At any rate, seems like a nice respite before the carnage erupts.

Heartsbane gonna loom large methinks.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 22, 2019, 09:52 AM »
Another slightly slow episode, but I agree with McMetal.  Lots of goodbyes and personal connections before all hell breaks loose.

One person I've expected to show up that hasn't yet is Melisandre.  I'm guessing its still gonna happen at some point.  I kinda thought she might "sneak" in and hide among the masses until needed.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16 AM »
These two episodes have just been loaded down with a lot of place setting.  And I get that a lot of that needs to be done, but there needed to be some action.

The season premiere came across in an unexpected way.  The new intro graphics were a surprise.  Why only change them significantly for the final season?  But then there were significant callbacks to the series pilot - Dany arriving at Winterfell with her army to the exact same music as when Robert Baratheon rode into Winterfell.  And it was complete with Arya checking things out from along the route, just like in the pilot.  There was also the creepy White Walker body part art, again, just like the first episode, and complete with a dead kid who has become a Wight.

Last week it was interesting to see Theon beginning to turn the tide by freeing Yara, and then setting off for Winterfell.  And Jon riding Rhaegal for the first time was a major step forward.  The whole scene at Last Hearth was pretty creepy.  It was like a horror movie where you're expecting the jump scare that only comes well after you've had a chance to relax.  I have to re-watch last night's episode because I had to step out of the room during some of it.  But there was some genuine heart to the episode - especially when Jaime Lannister knighted Brienne.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #874 on: April 22, 2019, 11:22 AM »
Good episode last night.  Now all the reunions are out of the way so the goodbyes can begin.  The episode ended just they way I thought it would, with the army of the dead lining up on Winterfell.  I also liked how Jon/Aegon was able to tell Daenerys the truth about his heritage and there was no real time for her to process it.  Could there be a situation where she needs to save Jon, but because of the succession issue she hesitates for just a second and it costs him his life?  That is very much on the table right now.

I liked how the Jamie "trial" ended abruptly.  Frankly, I thought it would take up more of the episode than it did.  Jaimie's character arc through this series has been one of the best!

If Tormund dies, I'm going to be pissed.....I love that guy.

Arya Stark sideboob....that is not ok.  Seriously, I watched the first episode not that long ago she's just a kid!

There should be an amendment to the battle plan where Lyanna Mormont is in the Godswood with Bran...she could stare down the Night King and make the army of the dead just disintegrate on the spot.  Show over.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #875 on: April 22, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Another slightly slow episode

This week's slow episode of even more reunions and character meet-ups didn't bug me as much as last week because I guess my expectations were tamped way down after last week.

Wondering how long the dead vs Winterfell battle is going to last - one episode?  Two?  My current guess for our four remaining are one for the battle at Winterfell, one for the aftermath, one to march on Cersei, then the finale.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 22, 2019, 01:18 PM »
Good episode last night.  Now all the reunions are out of the way so the goodbyes can begin.  The episode ended just they way I thought it would, with the army of the dead lining up on Winterfell.  I also liked how Jon/Aegon was able to tell Daenerys the truth about his heritage and there was no real time for her to process it.  Could there be a situation where she needs to save Jon, but because of the succession issue she hesitates for just a second and it costs him his life?  That is very much on the table right now.

I know Daenerys didn’t have much time to process the info - but she used the time she had to focus on Jon being the rightful heir - completely ignoring the fact that the man she loves is actually her nephew.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:19 PM by Tracy »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: April 22, 2019, 02:08 PM »

I know Daenerys didn’t have much time to process the info - but she used the time she had to focus on Jon being the rightful heir - completely ignoring the fact that the man she loves is actually her nephew.

They're Targareyns....Aunt/Nephew is actually farther apart than they normally are.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 22, 2019, 02:14 PM »
They're Targareyns....Aunt/Nephew is actually farther apart than they normally are.

It seems weird that there's a sector of fandom that is grossed-out by the incest factor in GOT between Jon and Dany.  Umm, Targaryens were known for this (as were Cersei and Jaime way back in S1).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42 PM »
I don't know if many show fans are all that aware of the Targaryen history.  But then the whole theme has been ongoing throughout the series when you consider Jaime and Cersei Lannister.  But considering the personalities of both Dany and Jon?  And the desire for the Iron Throne?  Those things will complicate matters.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 22, 2019, 04:01 PM »
It seems weird that there's a sector of fandom that is grossed-out by the incest factor in GOT between Jon and Dany.  Umm, Targaryens were known for this (as were Cersei and Jaime way back in S1).

I take it they're not familiar with world history and how normal this is in certain dynasties that aren't even that old.   Russian czars were practicing this up until their extermination 100 years ago.  The Egyptian Pharaoh's were seriously inbred.  Smart history types here could probably name another dozen like this.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 22, 2019, 05:08 PM »
I don't know if many show fans are all that aware of the Targaryen history.  But then the whole theme has been ongoing throughout the series when you consider Jaime and Cersei Lannister.  But considering the personalities of both Dany and Jon?  And the desire for the Iron Throne?  Those things will complicate matters.

It was brought up in an episode in Season 5.  Ellearia Sand was talking with Jamie Lannister about his relationship with Cersei.  She said it wouldn't be an issue if their last name was Targaryen.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 22, 2019, 06:00 PM »

It was brought up in an episode in Season 5.  Ellearia Sand was talking with Jamie Lannister about his relationship with Cersei.  She said it wouldn't be an issue if their last name was Targaryen.

I don't doubt that it was brought up.  But the prose of the novels and the extended passages of exposition really gave the readers a lot more insight into the inter-marriage of the Targaryens than we've seen in the show.  Because if the show got into the details the way the books did, everything would come to a screeching halt.

The historical parallels are worth noting.  Even in the inter-marriages of the royal houses of Europe in the 19th and early 20th century.  People may not realize that Britain's King George V, Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany and Czar Nicholas Romanov were all cousins.  And more recently in the UK?  Prince Charles and Princess Diana were actually distant cousins (7th or so).  It's not something that's foreign to people, but it's still considered to be generally taboo.

For the purposes of the show?  It further complicates the relationship between the twin siblings, Jaime and Cersei, as well as between the aunt and nephew in Dany and Jon.

As for next week's episode?  It looks like it's going to be epic.  But can anyone else see a key feature of Winterfell that goes all the way back to the pilot coming into play in a way that the alliance may not have foreseen?  One particular place in Winterfell might not be the best place to hide...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:39 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: April 23, 2019, 12:10 AM »
As for next week's episode?  It looks like it's going to be epic.  But can anyone else see a key feature of Winterfell that goes all the way back to the pilot coming into play in a way that the alliance may not have foreseen?  One particular place in Winterfell might not be the best place to hide...

It was fun rewatching the previous seasons the last month or so and noticing how many times we are reminded that Ned's bones were returned home to the crypt of Winterfell. Nah, that's not going to be a plot point...

My pet theory is that the dead will be reanimated, but because of enchantments placed on the crypt long ago, they will fight for the living, not against them. Ned  vs Night King, anyone?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:14 AM by Muftak »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 23, 2019, 08:38 AM »
It was fun rewatching the previous seasons the last month or so and noticing how many times we are reminded that Ned's bones were returned home to the crypt of Winterfell. Nah, that's not going to be a plot point...

My pet theory is that the dead will be reanimated, but because of enchantments placed on the crypt long ago, they will fight for the living, not against them. Ned  vs Night King, anyone?

I hope they've got some super glue to keep his head on!