Author Topic: ROTS: The year of Articulation  (Read 3673 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
ROTS: The year of Articulation
« on: November 30, 2004, 12:23 AM »
OK, now...  As most of you who know me have realized, I'm a huge champion of the articulation factor.  I have found the Star Wars line has been a quagmire of under-acheivers because of lacking articulation.  Not a good thing...

Then visions of the E3 line have shown up...  Pretty articulated figures we've been seeing, and the Collection 2 ones sporting the super articulation we all know and I'd say the majority of us love.  Collection 1 itself, while laden with action features, appears to be a nice attempt at articulation itself and hiding said features.

So my question to you...  We see heavy articulation here, so what do you think of the articulation issue now? 

My stance remains the same on this issue...  Articulation makes the toy, so the more the better, however I do see that Hasbro's dropping their traditional style they've used on ball/socket joints on some figures for a hinged piece with a swivel to it.  Still retails the same motion, but is more noticeable.

The articulation on Collection 1 is definitely more noticeable than that on the C2 figures or the VOTC for instance.  Is that a big enough problem to require "griping" though?  Again, to me I would rather have a poseable Mace than one stuck in a pre-pose...  So no.  I do believe the articulation could be better hidden since they managed on the VOTC so well.

Myself, I'm happy as a clam (so far) with the images from E3's Collection 1 and 2 figures.  They're unique, and show a stronger effort from this company than they have ever shown before.  C1's still not perfect, but some of those C2 figures were really impressive to me.  I'm really anxious to see the rest of the opening E3 line-up though because so far this looks like the best effort for a film release that Hasbro has ever made.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS: The year of Articulation
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I agree, so far I am overjoyed with the pics of the figures we have seen. 

I thought that all we had seen so far were the Preview figures and the first 12 regular figures were from Collection 1. 

I thought they hadn't shown any Collection 2 stuff yet, but what do Wookies know anyway?  ;)

:P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 08:38 PM »
I totally agree as well.  Finally they get it right.  I can live with the action features, especially these.  I'm dying to see the Collection 2 figures, because I think great things are in store for us all. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 08:49 PM »
I think it's great that we're finally getting loads of articulation. I just hope that the Action Features don't make the limbs loose, like Jango Pilot and POC Boba from the Saga line. :-\
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:09 PM »
I think Dooku, Organa, and Palpatine are in the C2 line-up...  their protos have surfaced (actually before the preview figures even).

Gooooooood clear shots of preview wave in the Insider that's shipping BTW.  REALLY clear, show all the articulation.  Grevious, I hate to admit it, is pretty bitchin'.  Spooky looking guy, and his guards on the cardbacks look quite freaky too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2004, 10:36 AM »
You're right Jesse - those prototypes are probably Collection 2.  Somehow I wasn't thinking right.

I think the Wookie Warrior looks so cool in the Insider - he is so articulated.  Count me in for 5-6 of him or more.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Wookie Customs becoming a reality this year have been a highlight.  Between VOTC Chewie being a great "base" and all the upcoming Wookies...  It's tough not to think of fan-fic, EU, and otherwise that one could make.

Wish I had an extra Rowowrororowowrororowororror to do a Roworororoworororororor figure properly scaled and with the right accessories.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2004, 11:17 PM »
Jesse I think you'll like my custom Wookies that I made recently.  They show up in the 4th photonovel that I made which will hopefully be up on the site soon.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #8 on: December 2, 2004, 04:56 AM »
I'm going to make some wookie jedi.  It's pretty easy.  You just give 'em a lightsaber.   :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 2, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Jesse - I emailed you a pic from the 4th photonovel.  You can see a lot of custom Wookies in it.

Spuffy - yeah, and you can do some cool parts swaps with the Yarua figure - I created 5 different custom Wookies for my latest photonovel using Yarua and various Chewbacca figures, plus a few extra  parts/accessories.  They really turned out cool, but none of them are Jedi.  They are body guards for a fan fic Prime Minister I made.

Hopefully the latest 3 stories will be up soon so you can see them all.  Spuffy if you would like, I will email you a pic when I get home.  I just need your email address.  You can PM me if you like.   :)