Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212645 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #795 on: December 1, 2021, 04:08 AM »
I think a better scaled U-Wing (with rigid wings like Rob mentioned) would be my number one request for the next offering. I could get down with a scale X-Wing or Y-Wing through Haslab, but I would have prefer them updated main line. Even if that meant the scale was a bit off.

Outside the U-Wing I think the next items on my list would be realistic versions of either The Bad Batch shuttle or The Ghost from Rebels. Nothing in the Sequel Trilogy would really excite me enough to back it, or give up the space in collection room.
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: December 1, 2021, 06:49 AM »
I honestly think that the U-Wing should be a mainline / fan channel release.  When I see the TVC Slave One in stores, I get the sense that the U-Wing would work in a mainline release.  A mainline release, like a Rebellion, is built on hope!

As for my LAAT/C / AT-TE Haslab idea?  I think it has to be offered with BOTH vehicles.  The AT-TE was originally released in 2008.  And frankly, I think it would need to be retooled or reinforced in order to work with the carrier.  It's a dream idea, but one that I think could get support from both TVC fans as well as what appears to be a very strong Clone Wars fan base.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #797 on: December 1, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Oh totally would go ape**** for a TVC U-Wing! Yeah, I'd say I would back Y,B or U wings in a Haslab and definitely support them being added to the main line, but they NEED to be scaled up from their current molds.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 1, 2021, 08:52 AM »
Put me in the camp that thinks upscaled U/Y/B Wings would be cool but is just fine with what we have at least from a Haslab perspective.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #799 on: February 10, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Was talking with a friend this morning and wanted to ask the questions here too...  seeing what you get for $230 with the Jabba's TBOBF Throne Room, how are you guys feeling about a Death Star Playset?

- Would you want to spend $1k on a similar set that was like 4 of the Throne Room sets stacked on top of each other (thinking along the lines of the Kenner DS set)?  I'm hoping it'd be way less than $1k since there wouldn't be 4x the accessories of the Throne Room, but still it's gonna cost a LOT if they go this route.

- Would you want any DS Playset to be more modular and something in-between the $50 walls and the $230 Throne Room - like $100 trash compactor, $60 Conference Room, $250 full Detention Cell level with cells, etc?  Then you can pick and choose what to buy/skip.

- Have you come to the realization that this stuff is just trending too expensive and not worth it anymore?  Like $50 for a Tantive Hallway is one thing, but $250+ for a diorama is crazy?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 10, 2022, 11:31 AM »
I’d like less accessories and less detail and a lower price for the jabba play set.  I’ll buy it but wish they would cut some things out and make it less expensive.

I’m okay paying a bunch for a Death Star play set but the value needs to be there. Details can be simplified but I do want at least a few of those options you mentioned.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 10, 2022, 12:19 PM »
Based on a response from Emily during the fan site Q&A, it sounds like this high end playset concept is being tested on the palace diorama.  They want to see how it performs, including the Hasbro Pulse direct sales model, before committing to more big projects.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 10, 2022, 12:57 PM »
If they keep them sized to fit on a 12" deep shelf, I'd buy almost anything like this.  Echo Base, Hoth, Cantina, Death Star... Bring it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #803 on: February 10, 2022, 01:20 PM »
I like the Jabba's Palace playset even if I think the $230 is a bit on the high side.  I would love to see what they could do with a Death Star playset similar to my Kenner Death Star playset.  Modular floors similar to the floors of the Kenner set could be incredible, but it will be expensive.  Perhaps release them a floor at a time could be a little easier on the wallet....granted is was 44 years ago, but the original Death Star playset retailed for $12.  No way we're getting this for less than $250 per floor unless Hasbro finds a way to balance price and detail.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: February 10, 2022, 01:21 PM »
Was talking with a friend this morning and wanted to ask the questions here too...  seeing what you get for $230 with the Jabba's TBOBF Throne Room, how are you guys feeling about a Death Star Playset?

- Would you want any DS Playset to be more modular and something in-between the $50 walls and the $230 Throne Room - like $100 trash compactor, $60 Conference Room, $250 full Detention Cell level with cells, etc?  Then you can pick and choose what to buy/skip.

Modular sets are the Way. Keep them adjustable and modular to fit the needs of many different customers.

I would really like a death star hangar that can be modded to fit one TIE and a tech crew, but also maxed out  by stacking and stretching the build to fit an an imperial shuttle and a formation of troops. Plus I want all the other stuff Jeff mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 01:25 PM by StBrianOfMinneapolis »
Macklunkey!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #805 on: February 10, 2022, 04:58 PM »
But as long as they keep bring out quality pieces at at least somewhat fair prices, I'm down. Judging kind of off my Lego buying habits and some electronic purchases, I'd have a real hard time justifying much more than $500.00-$750.00 the purchase of a single toy, no matter how cool. Haslab items might be enough to entice me if there are other great pack-ins, but at the end of the day $1000+ for a hunk of plastic is in the shape of the Death Star would be a real tough one to swallow for me. That's not a hard no, it just would mean that piece would instantly have to be worth of being one of the centerpieces of my entire collection.

I definitely agree with the modular sentiment, it makes it easier to stomach and I can skip the parts that whether don't fit on a shelf or are the least important to me.
"This is the way."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 10, 2022, 09:25 PM »

- Would you want to spend $1k on a similar set that was like 4 of the Throne Room sets stacked on top of each other (thinking along the lines of the Kenner DS set)?  I'm hoping it'd be way less than $1k since there wouldn't be 4x the accessories of the Throne Room, but still it's gonna cost a LOT if they go this route.

- Have you come to the realization that this stuff is just trending too expensive and not worth it anymore?  Like $50 for a Tantive Hallway is one thing, but $250+ for a diorama is crazy?

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking about lately. I preordered the Throne Room today as soon as it was available, but I’m really starting to consider the prices (and storage/display footprint) of everything I get. We all keep saying it, but prices are creeping with all lines, all properties, all companies and it is really forcing us to make tougher choices.

Just the last couple weeks I saw some of the newer MOTU Revelations Masterverse figures, and the inclination is to grab them right away. Then I consider that I spent the last year plus grabbing most of the Origins line. And years before that a pretty good run on Classics. How many lines covering the same characters do I really need to collect?

Same could be said for Star Wars. Although I’m not a completist, I buy some or most of each of their lines. Black Series. Vintage Collection. Retro. I love them all, but don’t have room for everything. Most of my Black Series is packed away other than one shelf of about a dozen figures representing the OT, and the same for Mando. Things would be so much easier if I only collected one thing 🙄

But yes, price is definitely becoming a factor…and getting worse. As excited as I would be if they announced some form of Death Star playset like this, I would be holding my breath waiting for the price. I know I personally couldn’t just drop $800-$1000 on a toy.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 11, 2022, 06:44 AM »
If I were still in the game, I would have definitely purchased this item.  I like to see it set up with the other Jabba display from a few years ago.  I would want it more for a Jabba display as opposed to a Boba Fett display.  $1000 would be steep for a Death Star.  $230 seems to be a lot for this set.  It does have a bunch of accessories, but I'm not sure it justifies the price.  With the current rate of inflation, we might be seeing increases of this nature.  Unfortunately, once Hasbro raises prices, that becomes the new normal regardless of the economy.  I think figure prices have gone down only once since the POTF2 days.

I think any Death Star playset would come through Haslab.  They are going to want a winner after the Rancor fiasco.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 11, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Based on the size (large, and movie set-accurate) of the Jabba's Throne Room, I could see individual rooms from the Death Star coming in this range. Places like the control room with the red computer, the detention block area, the conference room, etc. I can easily see each one of those areas being a $200 Pulse set. Sure, give them a similar footprint to make them stackable for those who want to build a Death Star tower, plan that in, why not?

But they are missing out on serious scratch if they don't try to do a Death Star Hallway in the $50 retail range and make it in a very similar vein to the Tantive IV Corridor from last year, leaning more into the modularity. Make it able to be open or enclosed, infinite in series, able to do 90 degree turns or 4 way junctions. Then make sure that set can connect between the big ones so crazy people can build them out like the enormous train displays of the previous generation. I have no doubt these would sell 'til the molds break--I have been selling modular Cardboard Galaxy Death Star hallway pieces for over 2 years now and they always sell out when I put a batch up.

However they put out a Death Star set, I will turn up with money in hand.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 11, 2022, 11:25 AM »
Based on the size (large, and movie set-accurate) of the Jabba's Throne Room, I could see individual rooms from the Death Star coming in this range. Places like the control room with the red computer, the detention block area, the conference room, etc. I can easily see each one of those areas being a $200 Pulse set. Sure, give them a similar footprint to make them stackable for those who want to build a Death Star tower, plan that in, why not?

I'm not sure I want a 100% movie accurate representation of the Death Star.  Maybe its the nostalgia for the vintage DS where you get elements of the Death Star all kind of wrapped together in a fun playset that isn't close to movie accurate. 

I like the elevator tying together a few different levels from DS1 and DS2 - Trash Compactor on bottom, Detention Center one floor up, maybe a chasm, or random troop area on the third floor, and the DS2 Throne Room on top. I think they need to keep it around 20" in total height so it can fit in display cabinets.  It'd be nice if it were totally modular and they offered different options, with a mirroring capability so you could have an elevator on each end and connect two sets in the middle.  If that were the case you could make additional modules like a conference room, gunner station, etc.  If they're smart they'd make the elevator modular too so you could make the set as short or tall as you wanted.

Heck, I'd be okay if they combined elements of a Star Destroyer with the Death Star and OT and PT - mixing in Vader's meditation chamber, a flight control pit, TFA interrogation chamber, Kylo Ren's quarters, etc..

But they are missing out on serious scratch if they don't try to do a Death Star Hallway in the $50 retail range and make it in a very similar vein to the Tantive IV Corridor from last year, leaning more into the modularity.

Totally agree.  Death Star / Star Destroyer / Scarif hallway is a no brainer.