Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558031 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2565 on: March 23, 2021, 09:41 AM »
So have any of these episodes done anything significant to push the main plot forward?  I haven't been so bored watching TWD since these episodes.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am looking forward to the new FTWD episodes!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: March 23, 2021, 10:36 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am looking forward to the new FTWD episodes!

I'm looking forward to TWD wrapping things up and being done.  I think they hung on for about two seasons too many.  After all these years I want to see how they wrap it up, but its a bit of a slog right now.

Sunday's episode had to be in the top 10 most boring for TWD.

Maybe we learned that Princess had a tough upbringing and is bit crazy and hallucinates.  Not sure we needed a 60 minute episode that barely left the confines of a box car.

Kinda feels like that one season of Battlestar Galactica where they were waiting for a contract renewal and didn't have any budget.  The whole thing was shot in a couple of rooms of the Battlestar.  Borderline unwatchable.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 10:36 AM by Dave »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: March 24, 2021, 03:56 PM »
It pains me to say it but I agree that I'm ready for it to be done.  It's not even that they hung on too long, it's that about the time Rick departed, they got lazy... the stories aren't interesting, the character that are left aren't really carrying the show...

Maybe it's because of Covid, but it all feels small now too - they have 2 or 4 actors at a time, no grand events or evolution of the lore, or overall arc.  I've complained about it before, but for years the show has just gone from one enemy group to another... governor, then Negan's people, then the Whisperers, now the Reapers...  That kind of thing is fine for awhile, but it's horrifically repetitive at this point.  The Zombies used to be the problem, then the people were the problem and it was clever and metaphorical for a few years, but it's played out.  The only thing I can think of that would make it interesting to me for awhile longer would be some sort of development where someone's worked out a cure in some secret lab, or the zombies were mutating, or maybe petering out on their own.  And, at some point it WOULD fizzle out, even in this world of suspended disbelief, it's weird and hard to believe that zombies can stay animated for a decade with only the occasional meal of brains to keep them going.  Physics and physiology say they'd rot eventually and the rate of new zombies certainly wouldn't be able to keep up indefinitely.  The show just needs a radical new turn, or it needs to be put to pasture.

I don't want to overthink it, it's a fun show and there's certain leaps you need to make, but it's just gotten so stale now that it's sad.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: March 28, 2021, 11:53 PM »
Ugh. They shoulda just canned this season before these four episodes. Though next week looks interesting as a stand alone episode.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:54 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: March 29, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Ugh. They shoulda just canned this season before these four episodes.

I'm glad you said and not me as I feel like all I've had to say is negative things about these handful of episodes. 

I hope they find a way to wrap things up in an exciting way, otherwise they should just pull the plug and call it quits now.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 29, 2021, 10:45 AM »
My wife turned to me halfway through the episode last night and said, "Are we really watching an episode where all we're doing is watching Carol try and catch a rat?"  And 10 years into the apocalypse I'm going to guess drywall is a little hard to come by.

I was tempted to suffer through Talking Dead just to see them try and be excited about what's going on in the show.

That being said, next week looks promising.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: March 29, 2021, 11:11 AM »

Next week looks a little more interesting, but aren't we well past the time to do any sort of backstory on Negan?  It still feels like filler that isn't developing the characters or moving the plot along in any meaningful way.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: March 29, 2021, 11:16 AM »
I'm putting this filler on covid but again figuring out a way to do a handful of wrapping up the show episodes airing this summer and skipping this junk altogether woulda made more sense. But this Negan stuff should be fun.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: March 29, 2021, 09:14 PM »
My wife turned to me halfway through the episode last night and said, "Are we really watching an episode where all we're doing is watching Carol try and catch a rat?"  And 10 years into the apocalypse I'm going to guess drywall is a little hard to come by.

I was tempted to suffer through Talking Dead just to see them try and be excited about what's going on in the show.

I’m only halfway into the episode but I literally came here to ask if I’m watching an episode where the entire plot is “Carol makes soup while Daryl tries to fix his motorcycle?”  This show is Ratatouille now?!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:21 PM by Rob »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: March 30, 2021, 11:59 AM »
Like Rob, I'm halfway through this episode.  Do I even need to continue watching it?  I mean, I watched something happen, and then Carol was happy and in the kitchen, and then things were happening with Darryl, and then Carol was in a field killing zombies, and then Darryl fixed his bike, and then Carol was in the kitchen.  I thought it was over and I was only 27 minutes in.  WTF...It's like we're back to season 2 on the farm with all filler episodes.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: March 30, 2021, 06:28 PM »
You don't...

It's a metaphor about how when Darryl and Carol are apart they struggle and when they're together they're stronger.  But it's a long, boring way to tell that 'story.'

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: April 1, 2021, 11:48 AM »
You don't...

It's a metaphor about how when Darryl and Carol are apart they struggle and when they're together they're stronger.  But it's a long, boring way to tell that 'story.'

That was a story????  God that was brutal to get through.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: April 5, 2021, 10:00 AM »
Ok, not the highest of bars to rise above, but last night's episode was easily the best of these latest episodes.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: April 6, 2021, 02:13 PM »
Anyone know if they are still planning a Walking Dead "Rick Returns!" movie?  I'm worried they won't actually wrap up much with the show and just shift stories out to movies at the end of this season.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: April 6, 2021, 05:11 PM »
Last I heard, they are still going through with the movies.  The final season is 24 episodes, so it's more like two seasons worth of shows, so they should be able to wrap everything up.

Plus FTWD is still going to be out there in theory.
This is the way.

I have spoken.