Author Topic: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies  (Read 336054 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hero/Comic Book Movies
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2007, 10:06 AM »
This makes me think. If comic books are such great fodder for movies, why are comic book shops so few and far between? I've been looking for a comic book shop in my area. Everytime I get an address, it turns out the place closed. Heck, were do you even buy comic books anymore? Borders? Walmart?

I get my single issues at Borders, although I've stopped buying multiple single issues and am focusing on building up my TPB collection. I think the last single issue I bought was Amazing Spiderman #541. When given the oppurtunity, I will also rummage through yard sales for older single issues. I've found some pretty cool finds through garage/yard sales.

Minneapolis has two Hot Comics stores, which I would highly recommend for anyone in the area.  I've seen a lot of these places go under, but there's usually at least one halfway decent one in each decent sized city I've ever visited.  I was just out in Albuquerque New Mexico and they even had a couple of good stores.  Try checking the internet as well as local phone books.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:17 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2007, 12:08 AM »
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:09 AM by JediJman »
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 30, 2007, 09:55 AM »
That Iron Man footage was pretty sweet, hopefully it'll be back online in a crisper, cleaner version sometime soon.  There has to be a trailer on the way before too long, since they had all this footage to show at Comic Con.  I'm looking forward to this movie, it looks like it could be pretty good.  I think it has the potential to make Iron Man fairly popular with the kiddos too, with the look of the armor(s).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 9, 2007, 09:32 AM »
An article up on MTV talking with Milo Ventimiglia (Peter Petrelli from Heroes) saying that his dream role would be Robin, or - more accurately - Nightwing.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 10, 2007, 08:47 AM »
A hi-res version of the Iron Man pic from the cover of Empire magazine has been posted at SuperHeroHype.  Looks pretty cool.

Also, it sounds like a Thor movie is starting up soon.

EDIT: IM pic wasn't working, check the linky if interested.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 10:25 AM by Brian »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 10, 2007, 10:21 AM »
A hi-res version of the Iron Man pic from the cover of Empire magazine has been posted at SuperHeroHype.  Looks pretty cool.

Looks like a lousy little red x to me...  ;)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #518 on: August 10, 2007, 02:05 PM »
I really hope Thor is done well. I have been looking forward to this one for some time.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:51 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 10, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Cool to see that the plan is to introduce the Avengers in their own films (Iron Man, Cap, Thor), then do the live action Avengers film.  This takes away the need to introduce backgrounds for each of these guys and focus more on the story and action - I'm stoked!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 20, 2007, 02:11 PM »
Its all rumors at this point, but IESB is reporting that WB is fast tracking the script for the JLA movie into production.  Here's the article from IESB:

ESB Exclusive: The Latest on the Upcoming Justice League of America Film! PDF Print E-mail
Written by Robert Sanchez
Friday, 17 August 2007

Will the Justice League of America live action feature film ever get off the ground? Much sooner than you may expect!

When the news broke that JLA (Justice League of America) was moving forward with a script written by Kiernan and Michele Mulroney, speculations began that the follow-up to Superman Returns, The Man of Steel, would be delayed or even completely scrapped.

WB studio sources quickly said that was just mere speculation and The Man of Steel was still planned for a first quarter 2008 start date. Even recently, Brandon Routh told us the same thing during a quick red carpet interview at the premiere for Transformers.

At the same time, we are hearing some execs over WB were not happy with the way Superman Returns performed regardless of the $390 million plus worldwide box office take and that’s why Justice League is being pushed through the studio at a record pace.

The JLA script has been received with open arms by Warners and the goal is for the film to be the launching point for The Flash, Wonder Woman, The Green Lantern and Aquaman as well as rejuvenate Superman.

When do the powers-that-be want to start production on Justice League? Apparently, as soon as the first quarter of 2008, that’s right, WB sources have informed the IESB that execs behind the Justice League of America want it to be in production as early as February/March 2008 to be ready for a summer of 2009 release.

What’s the rush? The pending strikes are definitely one of the reasons that Warner Bros. wants to move quickly on the ensemble pic. They also want to start building a fan base behind the new heroes that will help them go on to have their own stand-alone films.

Some questions arise. What will happen to The Man of Steel film that Bryan Singer has already signed on to do? Would Warner Brothers be willing to lose the money they would have to pay to Singer regardless if he directs the film or not? Will Christian Bale and Brandon Routh reprise their roles as Batman and Superman?

Some rumors indicate that studio execs have considered recasting Superman and a few names have popped up. But the honest truth is that the studio just does not know at this time whether Routh will return or not. We’ll just have to wait and see.

And Batman? If Justice League starts production early ‘08 that would give Bale a three to five month break between “Batman” films. Would he do it? Would the production team behind the Batman films be accommodating? Would they allow one of their three-picture-options with Bale to be used on an ensemble film? Would Justice League be the last Batman film that Bale takes part in?

Those questions are the ones I have been trying to get answered but have not been able to get anyone to comment officially.

I want to be very clear about this, I want to see a JLA film very badly and I am pretty certain that George Miller will direct. The problem that I have is I can’t foresee the Nolan camp, including producer Charles Roven, to lose the third stand-alone Batman film by allowing Bale to JLA instead. Maybe Warners should bring a few of the Batman/TDK producers on board the JLA production to keep that camp happy.

Bottom line, the decision will come from Warner Bros., both Christian Bale and Brandon Routh are signed for a total of three films and one film can be an ensemble pic.

I have to wonder if they are willing to pay the huge amount of money to Bale to keep him for possible future JLA and Batman films. I definitely think he’s worth it but it’s not my checkbook.

Routh’s price tag is no where near Bale’s and I’d bet he’d be willing to do possible future JLA and Superman films.

Finally, what about Singer’s The Man of Steel? At this stage in the game, yes, it appears that the Man of Steel will be pushed back to accommodate Justice League.

Does that mean that Singer is out and the sequel to Superman Returns scrapped? Not likely.

As I mentioned earlier, Bryan Singer has already signed on to do The Man of Steel and his team is reportedly already working on the film. I find it hard to believe that the studio would be willing to lose the money that will have to be paid to Singer if they decide to drop the project. I just can’t see that happening.

Our sources have confirmed earlier reports that the Justice League of America film will consist of at least Superman (Clark Kent), Batman (Bruce Wayne), Wonder Woman (Princess Diana), The Flash (Barry Allen), Aquaman and the Green Lantern (John Stewart) and will follow the OMAC storyline and also feature Maxwell Lord.

Within a few weeks, George Miller should be confirmed as the director and casting should commence immediately. The priority for the studio will have to be to figure out what they are doing with Superman and Batman.

It would be a mistake on Warner Bros. part to recast Superman, Brandon did a fine job and under Miller’s direction he could do great, besides I hear that Warner Bros. really dug Bryan Singer’s take for the sequel and Michael Dougherty is already working on the new script.

Bottom line, Justice League of America will start shooting early 2008.

Stay tuned to the IESB as we bring you the latest Movie News!

Basically, if true, it sounds like a JLA movie could start filming in the first part of 2008 for release in 2009 - pushing back the Superman Returns sequel.  It would be used as a springboard for solo movies for The Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman.  Superman/Batman roles may be recast (younger is the rumor that I've read).  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  It would be wicked cool to see a JLA movie, but whether or not it would be done well is another story.  Plus, I'd just as soon see Bale and Routh in the roles, instead of having all these different Batmen and Supermen.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 20, 2007, 08:55 PM »
Interesting to see that DC wants the team movie to set up solo hero movies and Marvel is doing the opposite - setting up Thor, Iron Man, and Cap before launching the Avengers movie.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 21, 2007, 09:14 AM »
This video interview with Ryan Reynolds makes it sound as if he's been in talks to play the Flash again, possibly for this JLA movie.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2007, 08:31 AM »
SuperHeroHype has some more news on a potential JLA movie, with the rumors now pointing to it possibly being a CGI/motion capture movie in the same line as The Polar Express and the upcoming Avatar and Beowolf.  George Miller has been the one rumored to direct, and his recent movie was Happy Feet.  Grain of salt and all that, but we'll see how this turns out.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 23, 2007, 01:18 PM »
Easy way out.