Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Figures  (Read 283475 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: LOTR Trilogy Figures
« Reply #930 on: December 1, 2004, 05:35 AM »
I got SP Aragorn the other night...

My stance on articulation stands that figures should be sporting super articulation, however I think the toe-tip and finger articulation is pushing it.  It's too fragile and unsturdy.

I'd say he'd be cool if he could hold his sword and stand...  Nix those 4 points, and I'm pretty happy.  I can deal with the torso since it holds...  it's loose, but it holds.

The headsculpt...  That and the fact my Aragorn's sword wasn't painted either.  Those things bummed me out more. :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 1, 2004, 08:55 AM »
I kind of agree on the articulation issue.  It is nice, and neat, to have a lot of posability in the figure, but many times....specifically with Toy Biz figures....the joints are (or become) loose with little to no time spent even messing with/posing the figures.  I'm not someone that changes the poses of my figures consistently, but many of my Toy Biz figures are quite loose right off the bat.  I haven't had as much trouble with the few LOTR figures I have, but more so in the Marvel area.  The joint that seems to consistently give me troubles is in the ankle/foot area.  My SP Spidey 2 Spider-Man constnatly falls over, just because his left ankle gives out.  It is one of my favorite figures otherwise, but I've considered buying another just because I'm tired of it being so loose at certain joints.  I suppose the same problem would happen with another one too though, or maybe just a different joint.

That is disheartening to hear about the Aragorn/Frodo problems.  I believe my wife ordered me those figures for Christmas (I don't have any version of either character, and held out for better ones...hoped that these would be it).  Hopefully they aren't ruined by loose joints or anything.  I guess that is the problem with the "super poseable"....although it is really cool, sometimes it just goes too far...especially when it leads to loose joints without even being played with or used.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #932 on: December 6, 2004, 10:34 PM »
Received my LOTR ROTK figures last Friday and they are spectacular, not so much Shelob Frodo but the other four are great

As much as I love this line I don't see much hope for it past Toy Fair 2005...although figures don't seem to be sitting AND they seem to be pretty easy to obtain, sort of like the Simpsons were, which is good

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #933 on: December 7, 2004, 01:25 AM »
They aren't easy to obtain here, but the local Wal-Marts have stocked and sold FOTR Trilogy Wave 1 several times, so that's good.

I just wish they'd stock newer stuff, since my local TRU is one of the few that stopped stocking ML and LOTR.

About the line in general-- I don't think there are many characters left to do anymore. The only one I can think of is Deagol. We have Denethor, Shelob, and even a living Theodred, so I don't see much else left for TB to do, besides more Frodos, Aragorns, and Legolases.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 7, 2004, 08:58 AM »
Our local TRU is the same way, haven't seen new LOTR (or ML) stock since we moved here 6 months ago.  They have an endcap filled with Gollums, and a few of the other boxsets (TABA, Ringbearers clear pack), but that is it.  Also, the Gollums are the old boxed style.  Target and Wal-Mart are restocking with older waves of the Trilogy line as well, haven't seen anything past the Morgul Lord/KOTD wave here this year.  At least the newer figures seem to be offered online fairly regularly and somewhat cheaply now, I see even Amazon has (or has had) some of the newer waves from time to time.

I've been wondering too how much longer this line would last.  Although I don't know nearly as much about it as many of you do, and have a pretty small collection, I'll be sad to see it go.  But, at the same time, I don't know that there is much left to make aside from getting into numerous resculpts of the main characters...which probably aren't needed.  Plus, at least around here, it sure looks like it is losing retail support without any new movies on the way.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #935 on: December 7, 2004, 09:30 AM »
I keep losing this list but here it is again

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING  
ASST 4 Available October 2004
- Gandalf The Grey
- Super Poseable Boromir
- Isildur
- Bilbo Transfixed
- Legolas
- Peter Jackson Hobbit
- Strider Super Poseable (perhaps postponed)

THE TWO TOWERS
- Legolas with Sound (REPACK)
- Theodred
- Dungeons of Isengard Orc Captain (former Orc Brute)
- Super Poseable Shagrat
- Gates of Mordor Sam (New Super Posable)
- Gollum with Sound
- Hamma

THE RETURN OF THE KING
- Shelob Attack Frodo
- Denethor
- Prologue Smeagol
- Gorbag
- Gondorian Guard
- Super Posable Aragorn W/ Anduril (REPACK)
- Sam in Orc Armor (REPACK)

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING  
ASST 5 Available 2005
- Weather Top Strider
- Talking Flaming Ringwraith
- Talking Rivendell Arwen
- Council Legolas
- Dark Galadriel

THE TWO TOWERS
ASST 5 Available 2005
- Aged King Theoden
- Battle Cry Uruk-Hai
- Sword Attack Aragorn
- Talking Balrog Battle Gandalf

THE RETURN OF THE KING
ASST 5 Available 2005
- Legolas
- Light Up Eye Of Sauron
- Gothmog
- Mount Doom Frodo
- Mount Doom Sam

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 7, 2004, 03:40 PM »
Thanks for the list Scott.  The Green Dragon has put up some loose images of TTT Wave 4 if anyone is interested.  Sounds like this, along with ROTK Wave 4 are both starting to show up at TRU stores.  Of course, we've seen nothing but Gollums here since May, so I'm not holding my breath :).  Good luck to everyone searching!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 9, 2004, 12:25 AM »
The GD also has preorders from Amazon listed too.

I went ahead and preordered all of them except the Legolas figures, and the Peter Jackson hobbit wasn't listed.

I know it's an Amazon preorder, but I'll bet there's better luck in getting these than Marvel Legends.

Anyway, when I finished the checkout, it said the items wouldn't ship till Febuary 7th.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #938 on: December 9, 2004, 12:58 AM »
Still just not finding much here.  However I did get Isildur for my brother, and Gil Galad as well.  And the Mouth of Sauron set, which is mostly figures he has so he may give me those, but I figured he'd want the MOS figure.

Not a ton of stuff out there in my area though, and I still have yet to see a Shelob for my brother and me.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #939 on: December 9, 2004, 08:42 PM »
Nothing doing here at all.  Series 3 and 4 et all never got here.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 10, 2004, 12:10 AM »
I might be headed to either CR or DM this weekend, Darby, so I'll keep my eyes open for new stuff when I'm out.

I've recently been to both cities, and their SW and LOTR selection kicks the local scene's ass.

Just LMK what you're looking for. I know I'm still in the market for Gamling and Gil-Galad.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 10, 2004, 01:18 AM »
I've seen Frodo from Shelob's cave recently, but not much else.  I'd really like to get Denethor, Gorbag & the Citadel Guard.  No luck yet, though.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #942 on: December 10, 2004, 01:37 AM »
My problem is, I'm kinda looking for everything.  But to limit it to most important:

SW: just Jawas now.  And just missed them the other day at WM.  Sigh.

For LOTR, I'd say the Citidel Guard, Gamling and or Hamma, SP Boromir, Moria Orc... basically any orcs or rare guys you might find.  Thanks a bunch Ben.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 10, 2004, 04:05 AM »
So, basically, all the stuff I'm still looking for. Gotcha. ;D

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile