Author Topic: Solo (SPOILERS)  (Read 166509 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILERS)
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2018, 11:37 PM »
I was just thinking that this might be the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber in it. 

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I was just thinking that this might be the first Star Wars movie without a lightsaber in it.

A heavy saber will be shown instead....to subvert our expectations.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 4, 2018, 07:06 PM »
Wow, trailer did not suck!  :o
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #123 on: February 4, 2018, 07:41 PM »
The trailer looks good.  I think I’d be happier if all these people were brand new characters.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: February 5, 2018, 02:44 AM »
Trailer was kinda cool.

Dbaggery of asking for an Imperial recruiting kiosk "playset" imminent.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 5, 2018, 10:23 AM »
It's definitely nice to see something at long last.  I think that LFL and Disney wanted to give this some space of its own instead of tacking it onto the whole TLJ promotional train.

The commercial last night was kind of curious, but it seemed to very deliberately be a teaser.  Still, that shot of the Star Destroyer and those TIE fighters flying through those clouds made for a stunning visual.  Even the details of the red cockpit lights in the TIE's was great to see.  And having seen the full length teaser today?  I noticed that this TIE is definitely different.  It looks similar to a standard TIE, but might have some kind of a weapons pod between the crew pod and one of the solar panels.

Some of what we saw seems to line up with this being a heist movie:  the speeder chase scenes, Han facing the guy in armor (Paul Bettany's character?), a possible gambling den, and what looked like a nightclub.

I guess we'll have to wait to see the movie to figure out where the Tag & Bink cameos will turn up.  But I was also thinking another thing:  this could be the first Star Wars film that doesn't include R2-D2 and C-3PO.  They've been in every single Star Wars movie.

Dbaggery of asking for an Imperial recruiting kiosk "playset" imminent.

LOL!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #126 on: February 5, 2018, 10:36 AM »
this could be the first Star Wars film that doesn't include R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Part of me thinks that's a nice change and needed to happen at some point, but the other part of me thinks they will shoe-horn a lightsaber and R2/3PO into the movie somehow just to keep the streak alive...

I'm still not sold on this new Solo guy, but I like everything else in the teaser and trailer.  I'm sure the haters are gonna hate on it, but I'll be there opening night for sure. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #127 on: February 5, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I like how grungy this looks. The film looks like a lot of fun. A bit of a Soderbergh heist kind of thing that happens to take place in space. Alden Eirenrich (sp?) isn't Harrison Ford and hopefully no one expected that. It will take some getting used to the idea of him as Han, but what little we saw here didn't send me running away screaming.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 5, 2018, 10:50 AM »
this could be the first Star Wars film that doesn't include R2-D2 and C-3PO.

Part of me thinks that's a nice change and needed to happen at some point, but the other part of me thinks they will shoe-horn a lightsaber and R2/3PO into the movie somehow just to keep the streak alive...

It does seem to be something that will need to be addressed at some point.  Either here or in the new trilogy that Rian Johnson is developing, the droids are going to have their streak end somewhere.

I have seen some rumors that Vader could turn up in the film in some capacity, but until I see anything more than a rumor I'm considering it just that, a rumor.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 5, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I think the two trailers / commercials are well put together and look promising. 

I'm a little surprised to see so little Han in the videos, so I'm not sure if that bodes poorly for his acting or just a stylistic choice. 

Overall I'm optimistic that it will be like Rogue One - a solid movie offshoot to the existing Star Wars world.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 5, 2018, 11:56 AM »
So happy to finally get a look at this movie. Like others, my biggest hurdle is getting used to seeing someone other than Harrison Ford play the role, but I'm open minded. That being said, I'm really excited for this. Since I was a kid, my favorite parts of Star Wars have been Han, Chewie, and the Falcon (with Lando close behind), so a chance to see them on an adventure is really exciting to me (always thought it would have made a nice animated series as well).

I'm not saying necessarily this will warrant one, but I wonder if any of these "story" movies will get sequels? I know it depends on box office and all that, but I just wonder internally if they consider all if these one and dones? Looks good so far.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #131 on: February 5, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Was thinking more about this -

I hope not. I think there's a strong chance we'll see Jabba and Boba Fett in this movie, which would be enough for me. I think there is an outside chance as well if the film winds up on Tatooine, we get a glimpse of Obi-Wan. Why I don't know, but given the Obi film rumors, I just have a sneaking suspicion we'll get some kind of nod to that.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 5, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Do we know the exact timeline of this movie - e.g. 10 years before ANH?

I wonder where the droids would be at that time?  I'm guessing it would be early, early rebellion days so the droids would largely be on Alderaan and Coruscant following Bail Organa around. 

Maybe Bail could be meeting with Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley to check in with each other and the droids could be hanging around outside.  I just hope if they wedge them in there it doesn't feel too contrived.  I thought the Rogue One cameo for the droids was fine.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #133 on: February 5, 2018, 03:03 PM »
A Bail/Obi pow wow would be fun, even if it was off in a corner.

Which, I don't know how everyone else feels, I always felt Obi-Wan had met Chewie before or knew of him. I figured he was familiar enough with the cantina, and Han/Chewie were regulars.

I've read a couple stories now that the film takes place over a range of years, but no one knows. At a minimum, it seems to me Han and Lando are around 20, which would put this 10 years before ANH, and about 10 after ROTS.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 5, 2018, 04:15 PM »
I've had a feeling that this movie was about mid-way between ROTS and ANH.  I'm curious to see where it's supposed to fall in the official timeline.

As for an Obi-Wan connection?  It would be nice to see some things get tied together, but it also seems like it could venture into that "too convenient/fan service/making the SW universe smaller" territory.  I had always gotten the sense that Obi-Wan was familiar enough with Mos Eisley as well as the Cantina based on what he told Luke.  I also got the impression that Obi-Wan initially spoke with Bo Shek, who in turn referred him to Chewbacca.  Having a connection between Chewie and Obi-Wan might come across as inauthentic as having Yoda and Chewie together on Kashyyyk in ROTS.

I'm still eager to see if Jabba comes into play.  To me, THAT could be the really big reveal for this movie, kind of like Tarkin & Vader for R1 and the duel on Crait between Kylo Ren and the Force projection of Luke in TLJ.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 04:29 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback